Phileas Phever

Left FPN

No, I think you have the ability to remove your auction if it sells here or outwith. Yes, it was a Mint Missi for $34 delivered in the USA $39 worldwide....I can tell you I was tempted but I have too many on the go at the moment.

I am your witness, Force. I saw the pen in the wee hours. The nib photo showed hints of possible corrosion, so I inquired about that to the seller. The pen was sold before they could reply. -- TwelveDrawings.com

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• TwelveDrawings

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was either corroded in the letters/design on the nib, had been dipped in ink at some point with residue still in those areas, or the light was doing really strange things to it.

Fortunately it was a Medium, not a Fine, so I didn't have to talk myself down from trying to buy it.

Strange.

I do not consider this a good thing, that a classified can be totally removed after the sale.

I understand the need to edit a classified for obvious errors or to answer to questions.

But it is not right to be able to remove all trace.

A few weeks ago I saw this happen as well, in a case where the pen was apparently misrepresented, leaving the buyer with nothing to prove this. Mind you, I have no remark about this particular Phileas, just that I find the principle wrong.

Another reason apart from the one mentioned above, is that this way one has no way to search historical sales to get an idea about current prices.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 4 weeks later...

What a great 'early' start to my day, a mint Amazon at an excellent price.

Now there are 2 things I am waiting for.

Unfortunately though one of my biggest regrets keeps coming to mind...not titling this topic Phileas Phever.

Edited by Force

What is the difference between a Philleas and a Philleas "Kultur?"

Very confusing.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

There is no such pen as a Phileas Kultur.

There's Phileas and there's Kultur and its many guises.

While some are identical in size and shape one, the Phili, is slighly more refined than tother.

I have aways said to be a Phili it must have 2 gold bands on the cap, the cigar band on the barrel and a 2 tone nib. Anything else, even be it a bitsa, it's a Kultur.

Some Kulturs are very plain, those without a barrel cap, but if you look at the Blue (second from left in my top post picture) it is a very nice looking pen in the flesh and very close to a Phili. There are a number of different coloured models along this line which do regularly get called Phileas.

Edited by Force

Thanks, Force. I won't be buying any imitations then.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Thanks, Force. I won't be buying any imitations then.

They're not imitations. The Phil and the Kultur are different, legit models by the same maker, but, noting the popularity of the Phileas, some dealers are tacking that name onto the Kultur.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

When the ebay seller advertises "Phileas Kultur Fountain Pen" I was confused and in this case it's misleading. I would consider that an attempt to sell me a Kultur as a Philleas. Whatever. I have only one Waterman pen, a stainless low value pen that writes the best extra fine line ever and is always moist and ready to write. So, I would like another pen that good. That $12 used pen is better than most pens I have spent much more for.

When the ebay seller advertises "Phileas Kultur Fountain Pen" I was confused and in this case it's misleading. I would consider that an attempt to sell me a Kultur as a Philleas. Whatever. I have only one Waterman pen, a stainless low value pen that writes the best extra fine line ever and is always moist and ready to write. So, I would like another pen that good. That $12 used pen is better than most pens I have spent much more for.

that seller is stating "Phileas" Kultur which makes me think he/she is just drawing both users/viewers in.

<snip>

Unfortunately though one of my biggest regrets keeps coming to mind...not titling this topic Phileas Phever.

What do you mean? That is the title of the tread... ^_~

It is misleading, but that is not the fault of the maker. The seller, however...

I've owned both pens, and prefer the Phil. I now have two, whereas I gave my Kultur away. There wasn't anything specifically wrong with it, but I thought the Phil a better value.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

OK, that is good info, thanks. Unfortunately, I am finally getting around to this as the prices go up.

Reminds me of a cartoon of two goldfish standing on their fins outside of their fishbowl, which is on fire. One fish says "Thank goodness we both got out on time! Of course now we are equally bleeped."

Blimey...you yanks should get over to the Classifieds NOW, a Black and a Blue Marble, with converters at $45 each inclusive of shipping :yikes:

Edited by Force

As Phileas become rarer AND more expensive, there is a temptation for Kultur sellers to wrongly include the word "Phileas" in their descriptions. A new Kultur can still be had on Amazon for $14.99 as of today (Oct.2013), so don't be lured into paying more. I openly confess that I am obsessed with Phileas pens. Still, if I were handed a pen in the dark and asked whether it was a Kultur or Phileas based solely on writing "feel", I doubt I could tell a difference. I think of them as being well-engineered pens made from inexpensive materials. Luckily for those of us with other bills to pay, that means we can enjoy excellent fountain pen performance for an affordable price. Enjoy your Kultur!

I loved my Phileas and carried it with me everywhere for many years until I left it behind somewhere by accident. I tried to buy a new one and was dismayed to find they were all gone.

But there is always another pen ... and the best thing about the Phileas was the price/value ratio. It makes less sense at a higher price, although the silky smooth nib and rock-solid durability are scarce at any price.

Remember, the marketers are Waterman can read the internet too. The original tooling may still be in place, or at least the original drawings and CAD files, which makes it a much easier pen to resurrect than older models. The simple design also makes it much easier than a Parker 51 or Sheaffer's Snorkel. If the demand is there, don't be surprised if Waterman simple brings it back.

Of course, it will never be exactly the same, and that would be the sticky point.

Did you Phil acifionados see this?

Or are they gone already?

Blimey...you yanks should get over to the Classifieds NOW, a Black and a Blue Marble, with converters at $45 each inclusive of shipping :yikes:

TwelveDrawings, I thought that the Phil nib experience was definitely a cut above the Kultur: smoother, more responsive. The ink flow seemed better. But for fifteen bucks, the Kultur is still a nice writer.