#61 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2013 - 17:19

No, I think you have the ability to remove your auction if it sells here or outwith. Yes, it was a Mint Missi for $34 delivered in the USA $39 worldwide....I can tell you I was tempted but I have too many on the go at the moment. 

I am your witness, Force. I saw the pen in the wee hours. The nib photo showed hints of possible corrosion, so I inquired about that to the seller. The pen was sold before they could reply. -- TwelveDrawings.com

#62 mrcharlie

mrcharlie

Peacock Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2013 - 18:31

It was either corroded in the letters/design on the nib, had been dipped in ink at some point with residue still in those areas, or the light was doing really strange things to it.

Fortunately it was a Medium, not a Fine, so I didn't have to talk myself down from trying to buy it.

#63 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2013 - 19:27

Strange.

I do not consider this a good thing, that a classified can be totally removed after the sale.

I understand the need to edit a classified for obvious errors or to answer to questions.

But it is not right to be able to remove all trace.

A few weeks ago I saw this happen as well, in a case where the pen was apparently misrepresented, leaving the buyer with nothing to prove this. Mind you, I have no remark about this particular Phileas, just that I find the principle wrong.

Another reason apart from the one mentioned above, is that this way one has no way to search historical sales to get an idea about current prices.

D.ick

The FPN-Stipula LE 2011 and 2012, too .:

....GOT THEM!!!!!!

#64 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 23:59

Just for the record, people are discouraged from doing that.  All ads are requested to remain even after the item has sold.

NNSbadge.png

#65 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:13

Amazon Green.

Well I tried but failed :( someone wanted one more than me.

WAS IT YOU :angry:

Edited by Force, 16 September 2013 - 04:13.

#66 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:49

What a great 'early' start to my day, a mint Amazon at an excellent price.

Now there are 2 things I am waiting for.

Unfortunately though one of my biggest regrets keeps coming to mind...not titling this topic Phileas Phever.

Edited by Force, 09 October 2013 - 04:25.

#67 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:19

What is the difference between a Philleas and a Philleas "Kultur?" 

Very confusing. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#68 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:36

There is no such pen as a Phileas Kultur.

There's Phileas and there's Kultur and its many guises.

While some are identical in size and shape one, the Phili, is slighly more refined than tother.

I have aways said to be a Phili it must have 2 gold bands on the cap, the cigar band on the barrel and a 2 tone nib. Anything else, even be it a bitsa, it's a Kultur.

Some Kulturs are very plain, those without a barrel cap, but if you look at the Blue (second from left in my top post picture) it is a very nice looking pen in the flesh and very close to a Phili. There are a number of different coloured models along this line which do regularly get called Phileas.

Edited by Force, 09 October 2013 - 16:34.

#69 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 13:54

Thanks, Force.  I won't be buying any imitations then.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

#70 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2013 - 14:25

Thanks, Force.  I won't be buying any imitations then.

They're not imitations. The Phil and the Kultur are different, legit models by the same maker, but, noting the popularity of the Phileas, some dealers are tacking that name onto the Kultur.

#71 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:06

When the ebay seller advertises "Phileas Kultur Fountain Pen"  I was confused and in this case it's misleading.  I would consider that an attempt to sell me a Kultur as a Philleas.  Whatever.  I have only one Waterman pen, a stainless low value pen that writes the best extra fine line ever and is always moist and ready to write.  So, I would like another pen that good.  That $12 used pen is better than most pens I have spent much more for.

#72 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:21

When the ebay seller advertises "Phileas Kultur Fountain Pen"  I was confused and in this case it's misleading.  I would consider that an attempt to sell me a Kultur as a Philleas.  Whatever.  I have only one Waterman pen, a stainless low value pen that writes the best extra fine line ever and is always moist and ready to write.  So, I would like another pen that good.  That $12 used pen is better than most pens I have spent much more for.

that seller is stating "Phileas" Kultur which makes me think he/she is just drawing both users/viewers in.

#73 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 18:02

<snip>

Unfortunately though one of my biggest regrets keeps coming to mind...not titling this topic Phileas Phever.

What do you mean?  That is the title of the tread... ^_~

NNSbadge.png

#74 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2013 - 18:22

What do you mean?  That is the title of the tread... ^_~

Great :D  :D  :D  and thank you very much.....now I am happy.

#75 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2013 - 19:17

It is misleading, but that is not the fault of the maker. The seller, however...

I've owned both pens, and prefer the Phil. I now have two, whereas I gave my Kultur away. There wasn't anything specifically wrong with it, but I thought the Phil a better value.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin, 09 October 2013 - 20:49.

#76 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 20:25

OK, that is good info, thanks.  Unfortunately, I am finally getting around to this as the prices go up.

Reminds me of a cartoon of two goldfish standing on their fins outside of their fishbowl, which is on fire.  One fish says "Thank goodness we both got out on time!  Of course now we are equally bleeped."

#77 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:59

Blimey...you yanks should get over to the Classifieds NOW, a Black and a Blue Marble, with converters at $45 each inclusive of shipping :yikes:

Edited by Force, 11 October 2013 - 05:01.

#78 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2013 - 14:43

As Phileas become rarer AND more expensive, there is a temptation for Kultur sellers to wrongly include the word "Phileas" in their descriptions. A new Kultur can still be had on Amazon for $14.99 as of today (Oct.2013), so don't be lured into paying more. I openly confess that I am obsessed with Phileas pens. Still, if I were handed a pen in the dark and asked whether it was a Kultur or Phileas based solely on writing "feel", I doubt I could tell a difference. I think of them as being well-engineered pens made from inexpensive materials. Luckily for those of us with other bills to pay, that means we can enjoy excellent fountain pen performance for an affordable price. Enjoy your Kultur!

#79 icevic

icevic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 15:20

I loved my Phileas and carried it with me everywhere for many years until I left it behind somewhere by accident.  I tried to buy a new one and was dismayed to find they were all gone.

But there is always another pen ... and the best thing about the Phileas was the price/value ratio.  It makes less sense at a higher price, although the silky smooth nib and rock-solid durability are scarce at any price.

Remember, the marketers are Waterman can read the internet too.  The original tooling may still be in place, or at least the original drawings and CAD files, which makes it a much easier pen to resurrect than older models.  The simple design also makes it much easier than a Parker 51 or Sheaffer's Snorkel.  If the demand is there, don't be surprised if Waterman simple brings it back.

Of course, it will never be exactly the same, and that would be the sticky point.

#80 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2013 - 15:52

Did you Phil acifionados see this?

Or are they gone already?

Blimey...you yanks should get over to the Classifieds NOW, a Black and a Blue Marble, with converters at $45 each inclusive of shipping :yikes:

TwelveDrawings, I thought that the Phil nib experience was definitely a cut above the Kultur: smoother, more responsive. The ink flow seemed better. But for fifteen bucks, the Kultur is still a nice writer.

#81 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2013 - 16:43

As Phileas become rarer AND more expensive, there is a temptation for Kultur sellers to wrongly include the word "Phileas" in their descriptions. A new Kultur can still be had on Amazon for $14.99 as of today (Oct.2013), so don't be lured into paying more. I openly confess that I am obsessed with Phileas pens. Still, if I were handed a pen in the dark and asked whether it was a Kultur or Phileas based solely on writing "feel", I doubt I could tell a difference. I think of them as being well-engineered pens made from inexpensive materials. Luckily for those of us with other bills to pay, that means we can enjoy excellent fountain pen performance for an affordable price. Enjoy your Kultur!

yep, they all got tin nibs and is made of plascit....like a $50M Rembrant is a bit of old canvis and 1/4 pint of o'l paint.

Edited by Force, 11 October 2013 - 16:45.

#82 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2013 - 18:31

yep, they all got tin nibs and is made of plascit....like a $50M Rembrant is a bit of old canvis and 1/4 pint of o'l paint

Many a Rembrandt fake has been sold to the unsuspecting buyer. Sure, the ignorant buyer deserves a kick in the pants. But a fraudulent seller? That's another category, isn't it.

#83 Gryphon

Gryphon

An Odd Sort

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:52

Well here we go again.

Could these be my pension,

fpn_1365656069__dscn7306.jpg

Wow!!! :yikes: I didn't even know that Phileas were made in grey/black marble style.  I really need to get my hands on one of those!  Right now I have a green marble one with gold trim.  It's really elegant and old fashioned - love it!  Now I need the grey/black marble one!  Why you have three?  Share!  :angry: :P

Edited by Gryphon, 12 October 2013 - 09:02.

§ "Explanations take such a dreadful time" §

#84 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:00

Indus Grey...very nice in the flesh. There's a used one on the bay your side of the pond, not cheap but on past sales not expensive either.

or if you want to pay 'top dollar' for a mint one but it is an EF.

Edited by Force, 12 October 2013 - 09:03.

#85 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:22

They were some of the best pens made by waterman

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#86 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:27

The Amazon has arrived so only the ellusive all Green to find now.

fpn_1381673710__dscn0539.jpg

Edited by Force, 13 October 2013 - 14:16.

#87 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,824 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 16:22

Such a shame the complete set is 11 pens. I wonder why they didn't update the Indus Grey model like the three pens on the right?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#88 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2013 - 16:41

Force, does your retirement portfolio include a few of these sets?

#89 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2013 - 16:47

No, I am not a set person. That price is, well, ridiculous

I have just picked up single pens in mint condition when they appear at prices below £30 which has served me well.

fpn_1381684500__dscn0548.jpg

Edited by Force, 13 October 2013 - 17:17.

#90 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2013 - 17:46

Ch. I bought mine new for just under fitty bucks and thought it a great deal at that price.