Phileas Phever

Left FPN

RE, the loose clip.

Yes, I did read the topic but because I did not have an answer....strangely, I did not provide one.

Normally I would go to a pen and investigate but something else distracted me at the time.

I also visited the link but could not view it for joining that Forum.

There is much going on in my world at the moment.

But I must add, yes, it is all good fun and in the main happy :)

Edited by Force

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• TwelveDrawings

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also visited the link but could not view it for joining that Forum.

Wait, this is odd: are you saying that you can't click on the link and read the thread? I was *not* under the impression that you had to be a member of FPG to view the forums. I will ask, and if that is the case, I will certainly post a synopsis here on the clip fix.

Sincerely, I wouldn't have posted just a link if I didn't think the forum was public viewing.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Wait, this is odd: are you saying that you can't click on the link and read the thread? I was *not* under the impression that you had to be a member of FPG to view the forums. I will ask, and if that is the case, I will certainly post a synopsis here on the clip fix.

Sincerely, I wouldn't have posted just a link if I didn't think the forum was public viewing.

I can read the topic but not view the Kult Clip.jpgs without being a member...perhaps I should join.

I have now joined and can see the pics...thanks

Edited by Force

The Geeks now have their own Waterman forum, but it needs some pizzaz . . .they need to catch the phever.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

This might be worth a dabble by soemone over the pond....if its still there by the morning.

I jumped on this one. It came today, great shape, fine nib, converter included. It was kind of a miracle, though, as these pics, poor though they might be, will show.

fpn_1399393609__bluephil1.jpg

The packing material: brown envelope and a baggie.

fpn_1399393659__bluephil2.jpg

Thirty-six cents postage due. Kind of funny. The pen is perfect, though. The US Postal Service does care about the packages they deliver. Maybe they cared because they want their thirty-six cents.

I am happy.

:)

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I can read the topic but not view the Kult Clip.jpgs without being a member...perhaps I should join.

I have now joined and can see the pics...thanks

Well, that is certainly odd. Sorry for making you jump through hoops, but Dan - the admin there - is a great guy about making sure things run correctly, so I'll bring this to his attention.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Well, that is certainly odd. Sorry for making you jump through hoops, but Dan - the admin there - is a great guy about making sure things run correctly, so I'll bring this to his attention.

Actually the inability to see certain pictures was the reason I joined FPN now almost 6 years ago.... Never regretted that... :D

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

That's different, and you know it.

~ Benjamin Franklin

An Amazon Green running now and the auction description says,

'The pen has been serviced and tested by a Writing Equipment Society trained repairer and is in excellent condition'.

It would normally be unfair to ask but as it had been professionally serviced I thought I would ask if it has any corrosion anywhere on the nib and the reply was,

'The nib has no signs of corrosion and appears to be in excellent condition and writes well. The nib has not been removed from the feed as it is not designed to be knocked or screwed out. It is an integral unit'.

Ahhhh those WES trained repairers. I suspect 5 minutes in water, £25 please sir and here's your pen fully serviced.

Edited by Force

I jumped on this one. It came today, great shape, fine nib, converter included. It was kind of a miracle, though, as these pics, poor though they might be, will show.

The packing material: brown envelope and a baggie.

Thirty-six cents postage due. Kind of funny. The pen is perfect, though. The US Postal Service does care about the packages they deliver. Maybe they cared because they want their thirty-six cents.

I am happy.

:)

Will you be jumping on this one also... :yikes:

Thank you very much. Liking mine better. The postage alone is what I paid for the one you so generously pointed out.

Gadzooks, that's too much for a candy bar, but typical of today's phever. With five of these now, I think I am Phili'd out. Liking the ballpopint. Nice sized pens. Now, waiting, presumably 'til H freezes over to find one of the nice solid color pens. I do think these are more poster-friendly than Carenes, but not as much eye candy by a smidgeon.

Thank you very much. Liking mine better. The postage alone is what I paid for the one you so generously pointed out.

Gadzooks, that's too much for a candy bar, but typical of today's phever. With five of these now, I think I am Phili'd out. Liking the ballpopint. Nice sized pens. Now, waiting, presumably 'til H freezes over to find one of the nice solid color pens. I do think these are more poster-friendly than Carenes, but not as much eye candy by a smidgeon.

My black/gold-trim Phileas was the first pen I bought after getting back into FPs. But the nib was always too broad for me. I used it, but then I groused about it afterward. As I bought other pens I used it less and less. I kept dry-ish inks in it to minimize the line width as much as possible. I should have contacted Waterman to check into buying an F nib. I didn't think of that back then. Instead I sent it to Richard Binder for a regrind to a .07mm cursive italic and spent more for that job than I had on the pen, but I wanted to use my Phileas again and not have it just sit around. I got precisely the nib I'd bargained for, naturally, but I still found the writing line too broad for most uses. Nowadays I use it in my journal to write dates and pages numbers, I use it to address envelopes, and I use it to sign greeting cards and thank-you notes.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I ordered a new fine nib, section and feed unit from Newell-Rubbermaid for $33 shipped. It's perfect.

I ordered a new fine nib, section and feed unit from Newell-Rubbermaid for $33 shipped. It's perfect.

That should have been my first response, but better late than never. Thanks for the info.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

That is within a couple dollars of what I paid for my whole pen, new, in 2005.

I just checked my old email archive; I will quote my order confirmation from Swisher from January 2005:

Waterman Phileas Phileas 1 $22.95 $22.95

Fountain Pen Fountain Pen

Blue; Fine

That is actually Blue Marble, not solid blue.

I still find it hard to think of it as anything other than a $23 dollar pen, no matter how much I like it/how well it works.

Edited by mrcharlie

As we all know, Phileas prices took a jump after Waterman discontinued the pen. Also, there has been considerable inflation since 2005 because of 9/11 and the Iraq war. Somebody had to pay for it, so they print more money and inflation is hard enough to get your mind around. With the inflation and the appreciation of the Phileas pushing the price up, $33 shipped for a nib, feed and section is more rational now than it would have been in 2005. The price of everything has been going up. It is hard to make sense of it and it is stressful having to constantly reorient yourself and get your bearings in a changing financial landscape. I have been doing it for a long time myself.

I was happy to get a new Phileas section assembly. When you like a pen and want to use it you pay what you have to. Money just isn't worth what it used to be.

Actually I just like bragging that I paid so little. If I knew then what I know now ... although $33 still sounds a little extortionate. There hasn't been that much inflation in the US since 2005; 23 USD in 2005 is equal to only 27.83 USD in 2014. "9/11" was pre 2005 btw (2001), as was the start of the invasion of Iraq (2003).

Also, I think that the Phileas may have been discontinued at the point when I purchased it; in any case it was on sale, so I paid less than full retail.

I did not use the converter until sometime in the past 6 or 8 months. I filled it exactly three times with three different inks, and with the third ink the converter started leaking. The plastic mouth is cracked, and third party "standard" converters don't fit in a Phileas like they do in a Kultur or Free Wheel, so I was stuck paying $9.75 for a new one. I've just inked it with the new one yesterday. I'm crossing my fingers.

Waterman (and all the major western pen manufacturers; I have the same problem with a Sheaffer but the converter is cracked in the mouth opening after only a handful of uses and a new converter is ~$10) really should be ashamed either for a) charging so much for their converters, or B) for selling such unreliable pieces of junk as the crucial guts of their pens.

Edited by mrcharlie

Well for £12 it was worth a gamble.

Some T-Cut and bit of TLC and who knows.

fpn_1399813923__black_phileas_2.jpg

Edited by Force

Force, I don't know where you find this stuff, but you sure get some great deals.