607 replies to this topic

#21 recluse

recluse

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:02

Yes, the nibs can be easily changed but I doubt they had stock BB nibs. I've never seen even broads around. Judging from the pens that I have, Phileas's medium nib is rather on the wider side of their fine nibs in other inexpensive models (whose mediums, indeed, are pretty wide).

#22 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:26

Hi-

I have two Phileas pens.  P/N of the red marbled model is 19714-WA.

My wife loves this model with its F nib, but would love a BB nib for it.

(her desire came from writing with an MB 146 BB)

Is it possible to get a BB nib for the Phileas?

Can I change the nib myself?

* But a concern: I seem to recall hearing that the Medium Waterman Phileas nib is a very wet writer?

(so if a BB exists, how wet would IT be!?)

Moot point if a BB doesn't exist.

Somewhere along its way it has been placed into the wrong box. I suspect at the shop who sold it because I have seen that error before. They get them out to show peps and place them back into the wrong boxes. 19714 is the catalogue number for the Black, 19707 being the correct number for the Red Marble.

They, both early and late models, were only available in EF, F, M and B nibs.

What a strange world we are in when this wonderful Exclusive is on lap 2 and still has no bids.

I have a spare Indus if someone wants a straight swap for a Gloss Red Carene with Stub nib, mint boxed of course (here in the UK) :rolleyes:

Edited by Force, 28 July 2013 - 04:43.

#23 spraine

spraine

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:10

Thanks, Force.

I think my pens are from the early '90s.

Here's the label on the box:

WatermanPhilFineBoxLabel1a.JPG

Edited by spraine, 28 July 2013 - 06:11.

#24 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:28

Not sure when the colours changed but yes maybe but I think they would/should have retained their code,

I have a 90 salesmans catalogue and the Phileas is not listed. So they must appear after.

fpn_1374992838__dscn0186.jpg

Edited by Force, 28 July 2013 - 06:36.

#25 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:54

In contrast, these pens were born in the 90's and are still here to enjoy, yet while I have been sitting here, in my conservatory, these Hibiscus twins opened and will drop tomorrow.....

fpn_1374994413__dscn0196.jpg

Edited by Force, 28 July 2013 - 06:59.

#26 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Donor Pen

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 4,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:15

The Phileas is one of my favorite pens ( I have two - a red marbled fine and a black medium). The paperwork that came with the black one is dated 2007. The other has the nice booklet and is undated. It does give a Janesville, WI address for Waterman USA. I bought the red marbled in the late 1990's or early 2000's from Levenger, the black from the Classifieds here on FPN in December 2012. (NOS) I paid around $50 for the red, and $45 for the black.

You have a real nice collection of the Phileas Force. (I paid about $32.99 from OfficeMax for a Hemisphere rollerball in 1998 that included a pen case - MSRP was $45) Mine are #5 and #6 from the right.

Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

LetterExchange_sm.pngfpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20res

#27 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:19

The Phileas is one of my favorite pens ( I have two - a red marbled fine and a black medium). The paperwork that came with the black one is dated 2007. The other has the nice booklet and is undated. It does give a Janesville, WI address for Waterman USA. I bought the red marbled in the late 1990's or early 2000's from Levenger, the black from the Classifieds here on FPN in December 2012. (NOS) I paid around $50 for the red, and $45 for the black.

You have a real nice collection of the Phileas Force. (I paid about $32.99 from OfficeMax for a Hemisphere rollerball in 1998 that included a pen case - MSRP was $45) Mine are #5 and #6 from the right.

Your red is Mississippi Red, from the early colours which also included Amazon Green, Danube Blue and Indus Grey. My collection has one more, an all Red and I have my eye on an all Blue.

I sold one to pay off the mortgage,

fpn_1375071718__dscn0448.jpg

Edited by Force, 29 July 2013 - 04:23.

#28 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:47

I find it disorienting when I can sell a Phileas and buy a nice Charleston and have money left over.  This happened to me a short while ago.

#29 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:54

I have posted this link because one picture is of the box label. I believe this shows there were changes in the numbering system between the first and second series.

This Black is listed as 19704.

Not to mention the asking price....I said not to mention it :yikes:

Edited by Force, 29 July 2013 - 17:00.

#30 Pmantis

Pmantis

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2013 - 19:02

Hello I am new to this forum, and am in search of a replacement cap for my phileas blue marble fountain pen. I was wondering if any one has a broken or damaged phileas fountain pen you would be willing to sell. If not and you could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and God bless!

#31 elysee

elysee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2013 - 21:09

Thanks, Force.

I think my pens are from the early '90s.

Here's the label on the box:

attachicon.gifWatermanPhilFineBoxLabel1a.JPG

You MUST continue to save the box! X years from now, the box will add to the selling price -- there's your retirement based on http://www.ebay.co.u...ht_6025wt_1399. LOL! : ) Of course, I am assuming a continued similar increase in the price folks are willing to pay for the pen during the next X years.

Edited by elysee, 13 August 2013 - 21:29.

#32 elysee

elysee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2013 - 21:22

I have posted this link because one picture is of the box label. I believe this shows there were changes in the numbering system between the first and second series.

This Black is listed as 19704.

Not to mention the asking price....I said not to mention it :yikes:

Based on the other auction ($195.78 based on the current exchange rate), the Buy It Now price ($159.99) for this listing is low. LOL! : ) Of course, the colors of these pens are different as well as one being solid color and the other being marbled.

Edited by elysee, 13 August 2013 - 21:26.

#33 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2013 - 14:51

:yikes: £90....I was hoping to sneak this one into my collection for £25... :unsure:

Edited by Force, 17 August 2013 - 18:46.

#34 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:26

You are indeed correct (new to this particular forum and not particularly big Waterman fan) and I defer to you/Force on the market value of Phileas. Those were my intuitive thoughts. The Phileas was desirable because it was a cheap yet relatively quality pen. My mind can't fathom people buying something that used to be cheap at high prices, but I suppose it's happened before.

You've prompted me to do a quick eBay search and I now see that some Phileases are going for... substantially more than what I would have considered the market price for a new one a few years ago (about $40). This leaves me scratching my head, but to each his own.

I too am new here and have learned much about my motley collection of new and used Phileas fountain pens. Seems they really did sell at Staples for $20 originally. I have bought new ones since then for $50 to $100. Today (August 2013), there is a single, used Waterman Phileas listed on Amazon.com for $250. Maybe that's crazy, and maybe it's an inflated "bubble".

I understand the argument that higher-priced and higher-quality pens outclass the modest Phileas. But my Philias pen possesses a certain "quintessence". (Webster: "the pure and concentrated essence of a substance.") As you know, quintessence shows up in mundane items like Keds high-top sneakers, the Oreo cookie, the brown paper bag, Crayola Crayons, strike-anywhere matches, Q-tips, etc. These classic products are notable for simply being what they are, without pretense.

When a truly quintessential product is discontiued, they can become highly prized as collectibles. (Is a '57 Chevy truly better than a '58 Chevy? Collectors think so.)

My Phileas delivers good performance, a fairly classic look, and workmanlike durability. Phileas reviews are almost always good, although the phrase "...considering its low price" seems to be obligatory. Perhaps the Phileas is currently a pony among thoroughbreds, but I suspect its appeal will be long-lived.

Regardless, may we all live long enough to see our personal collections soar in value. Meanwhile, we all have a very enjoyable pastime.

www.TwelveDrawings.com

Edited by TwelveDrawings, 25 August 2013 - 19:18.

#35 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:29

Thank you to all who have comments. I am learning with each new post. -- TD

Edited by TwelveDrawings, 25 August 2013 - 04:36.

#36 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:19

TD, can we get the drawing to:   "quintessence". (Webster: "the pure and concentrated essence of a substance.") ?? :)

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#37 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:02

TD, can we get the drawing to:   "quintessence". (Webster: "the pure and concentrated essence of a substance.") ?? :)

D.ick

I have reached my limit of uploads so I cannot share more. "Quintessence" would be a heckuva challenge to draw, though. -- TD

#38 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:11

I have reached my limit of uploads so I cannot share more. "Quintessence" would be a heckuva challenge to draw, though. -- TD

use Upload at the top of the page. You will not though be able to control pictures loaded this way.

#39 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:51

Thanks for the tip. I am curious what control I will not have. --TD

#40 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:18

The market is remaining strong in the more realistic price bracket.

[Sponsored Content]