#281 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:27

Well, after all the debates about the prices of Phileas', how do you know how to price them? Someday I'll have made enough posts here to list a 90's fountain pen and ballpoint set in the classifieds (I'm not trying to sell them yet, mods! Honest!) but ebay's prices and some of the prices here on fpn are too wide-ranging. So how do you know what is fair? I haven't seen a fountain pen/ballpoint set listed elsewhere, which doesn't make things any easier. Meanwhile, after reading this thread, I'm worried about asking the wrong price and being another source of amusement :D

Yes I know this isn't enough detail, but am worried the mods would look unfavorably on my being too descriptive of them.

It very much depends on what you have, some colours are more desirable than others. Condition obviously plays a major roll. Pictures will help members with a cost.

Ebay prices cab be good, it depends when you're looking. I picked up this section yesterday for £5 ($8) to replace the section on one of my better pens which has a slightly bent nib. The last time I saw these for sale by the Pen Seller they were $30 +.

fpn_1396157123__04.jpgfpn_1396157862__03.jpg

Edited by Force, 30 March 2014 - 05:38.

Please view my advert in the Classifieds for Waterman Converters.

#282 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:11

I think I'd sell it on ebay, because the sale price might be a pleasant surprise.  Here, you have to set a price.

You know, if you could buy a Phileas some years ago for $20 or so, the currency inflation in the intervening years has devalued your dollars, and more ought to be expected to be needed to buy a Phileas today, even if they were still making them.  Profiteering on a dwindling supply and continuing demand is another issue.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#283 LindaM

LindaM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:29

Fergus: if - hypothetically - it were a set of the old style green marble (I bought them new in the late 1990's)  Phileas' in excellent condition, with box and booklet, then - again, hypothetically - would that be a good color?

Pajaro: ebay intimidates me. But you're right, I ought to sell them there. Still though, I'd have to figure out what to ask for them, and with prices in such a huge range I don't know where to start.

#284 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 19:07

If you bought them new in the late 90's are you sure they are not the later, marble, finish i.e. them with a wiff of white in the pattern. View my first post to see the differences. IMHO the Marble colours are the less valuable. The solid colours are the rarer to find and again IMHO should be the more expensive, Blue, Green and Red in particular. BUT it all depends on ones own preferences.

#285 LindaM

LindaM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 21:47

It's the type of marble pattern as your gray pens on the first picture - I thought it was older, but maybe not. At the earliest I would have bought these in 1997, I think. Or maybe 1998? I can flounder when remembering yesterday sometimes. :)

#286 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 7,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:50

Fergus: if - hypothetically - it were a set of the old style green marble (I bought them new in the late 1990's)  Phileas' in excellent condition, with box and booklet, then - again, hypothetically - would that be a good color?

Pajaro: ebay intimidates me. But you're right, I ought to sell them there. Still though, I'd have to figure out what to ask for them, and with prices in such a huge range I don't know where to start.

Start at $0.99 or $29.99 or $39.99.  All these are low enough for a set to encourage bidding.  You don't want to start too high, it discourages bidders.  You don't want to start too low either, because there is a small chance your auction would not be noticed, but today, if you advertize "Phileas" you should draw attention.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

#287 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 7,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:55

Voila:

http://www.ebay.com/...nc#ht_483wt_900

http://www.ebay.com/...nc#ht_132wt_900

http://www.ebay.com/...nc#ht_483wt_900

The original listings of three Phileas ebay auctions ended today.

Edited by pajaro, 31 March 2014 - 04:01.

#288 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:21

OK then you have an Amazon set as per the middle pen here.

Pajaro, 3 very nice prices for those pens....my pension pot is ever increasing.

fpn_1396239628__dscn0544.jpg

Edited by Force, 31 March 2014 - 04:27.

#289 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 7,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:42

I like the solid blue one.  You are right, you see few solid colors.

I admit I bought one of the three.  My intention is to change out the fine nib in it for a medium and resell, keeping the fine for my "Danube blue."

#290 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 16:56

This is becoming a good buy considering this...

TeHeHeHe

Edited by Force, 01 April 2014 - 04:54.

#291 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 15:29

I used to feel disoriented when I could buy a nice Charleston for less than a nice Phileas.  Now I'm coming to expect it.  And I'm happy to take advantage.

#292 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 17:55

I used to feel lucky nabbing a lightly used Phileas for under $30 USD. Forget that. An ex work colleague told me his brother in law had been a pen dealer in Jacksonville. He has retired and his son is selling off all out-of-production stock. At first, he insisted on selling a block of about 290 pens of various brands for $3K USD. I told him he could get more selling the brands in blocks since pen buyers tend to pay more for their favorite brand. He thanked me, then asked what I collect. When I told him "Waterman Phileas", he didn't recognize the name. Finally he said, "I got a case here marked Waterman 'Fillies'". (I wasn't about to correct him.) "How much?" I asked. "What did these go for, retail?" I said the company discontinued them long ago and they originally sold for only about $20—which is true.

After a couple of phone calls, I talked him down to $345 including shipping for a case of new Phileas fountain & ball pens. There are 64 unopened boxes in a case and he said the top layer are marked as ballpoints (about a dozen) but it is all fountain pens from there. I asked him to check on the colors: "No colors. All black." I took a long pause as if I was weighing my decision. It was all I could do to quietly hang up the phone before giving a loud whoop. Needless to say, there will be no more used $30 pens for me.

[Note: The above was written on April 1st. Now that it is April 2nd, I confess it is what we Americans call an April Fools Day joke. I can only wish that any of us would get this lucky.]

Edited by TwelveDrawings, 02 April 2014 - 11:36.

#293 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 4,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 18:05

Ahhhh, that word 'thinks'....

#294 manolo

manolo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 19:57

Really nice find, twelvedrawings, congratulations.

#295 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 7,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 19:59

Never a fan of black pens I, but, TD, I don't know at this moment whether I hate black pens or you more, el ingenioso hidalgo Don TD de Sumgai.  :lticaptd:

#296 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 20:04

Just got confirmation from USPS that the package has left the JAX mail hub. I'm surprised and impressed that the order could clear the city that fast, considering I only placed it this morning. I was worried his father would hear about what he did and place a stop order. Too late now! It's going to be Christmas in April around here in about three days.

Yikes! I just saw the shipping! $58 USD. Must be an oversized carton. He is surely wishing he hasn't thrown that in with the purchase price.

[Note: The above was written on April 1st. Now that it is April 2nd, I confess it is what we Americans call an April Fools Day joke. I can only wish that any of us would get this lucky.]

#297 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 20:13

Never a fan of black pens I, but, TD, I don't know at this moment whether I hate black pens or you more, el ingenioso hidalgo Don TD de Sumgai.  :lticaptd:

I do happen to favor black pens, but certainly do not need 40 to 50 of them. The black model is at the top of the current Phileas pricing frenzy. If I am patient, I predict I can sell several dozen for $99 each between now and the first part of next April. But I won't count my "Phillies" before they hatch.

#298 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 7,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 20:54

I wish you luck with that, TD.  I assume you saw the $259 BIN black broad pen in Force's link.  I think you might well get $99 each.  The auction prices are headed that way.  I paid $73 to get a red marbled with fine nib over the weekend.  Just wanted the nib.  So, the market appears to be going your way.  Congrats on a great find.

#299 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 21:35

Thanks to everyone for your support. If I heard someone got 50+ Phileas fountain pens new-in-box for less than $7 USD each, I would feel somewhat jealous. I can't believe it's true. I just keep looking at that shipping statement from the US Postal Service. Shipped from JAX on 4/1/14. From now on, April 1st is my lucky day.

#300 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 22:10

As I look at the very nice photo of the array of Phileas pens, the three solid colors (the two on the left and the one on the right) with their simple furniture may be Kultures. The Waterman Kulture was a school pen made in France. I bought one for $20 and it is a very nice basic pen.

The  Waterman Phileas is a higher-end pen and seems to go for mid point ≠ $50, at least by my quick eye-balling today on ebay.

Is there confusion between the two models?

[Sponsored Content]