Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Phileas Phever

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#421 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 14:50

Force, I don't know where you find this stuff, but you sure get some great deals.

It was on the bay early this morning at £16 BIN with offers....I had a couple of looks, left it for the morning and then offered £12 which the seller had set to accept. The nib might be good but as we know it might be full of holes.

#422 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 15:50

It was on the bay early this morning at £16 BIN with offers....I had a couple of looks, left it for the morning and then offered £12 which the seller had set to accept. The nib might be good but as we know it might be full of holes.

That's great.  Scoping out pens on ebay can be a lot of fun.  The fun often seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of money spent.  Sometimes you get something great and sometimes you get something full of holes.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#423 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:23

Brand New ???? with corrosion to nib.

#424 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:22

Dipped only or a full fill?  :lticaptd: 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

#425 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:32

Brand New ???? with corrosion to nib.

Let's think about this for a moment, though. And let's assume that, while it is not "brand new and unused", it has only been used minimally enough that it could be still considered "new", and was just stored without flushing...

What does it say about the quality of manufacture that minimal use, with simple storage, ends in corroded nibs? Tsk, tsk.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#426 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 16:38

Possibly Newell-Rubbermaid wants to sell more of their nib-feed-section assemblies at about $28 each. 

Possibly they should have stuck with making laundry baskets.  They won't corrode.

#427 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:10

Possibly Newell-Rubbermaid wants to sell more of their nib-feed-section assemblies at about $28 each. 

Possibly they should have stuck with making laundry baskets.  They won't corrode.

Of course, that doesn't make any sense. The pens haven't been in production for years.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#428 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:19

Well, I called them at their Janesville, Wis., number a few weeks ago and ordered a new section+feed+nib unit that replaces a cracked section that had too many cracks to fix.  About $33 shipped, and it's in a pen I am using today.  They offer them in EF, F, M and B, so they must have a supply made back in the day.  Seems funny using that expression for a Phileas, "back in the day :), " smiley face included at no extra charge.

#429 mrcharlie

mrcharlie

Peacock Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:54

The listing specifies it comes with one long Waterman Blue cart and "5 extra standard ink cartridges (Royal Blue) included". Most brands of standard carts are sold in boxes of 6. So probably someone bought one package of carts, put one in the pen to test it out or use it, and then didn't end up using it. So they let it dry out in the pen, and it sat un-flushed for probably 10+ years.

I wonder what brand of cartridges it could be; Pelikan "Royal Blue" cartridges do not fit in the barrel. Possibly they installed a cart into the section, enough to get some ink into it, and found the barrel couldn't be fit with that cartridge. In disgust they tossed the cartridge and never used (nor flushed) the pen.

Sadly I seem to like making up the hypothetical stories behind such listings.

We already know there is a corrosion problem with the nibs on these pens (and the trim and/nib of a few other similar vintage Waterman models seems to be frequently corroded in auction listings) when not flushed very well before periods of dis-use. It is one of the few downsides to the pen. I wonder if it is still a problem with their current production materials on current models or not.

#430 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2014 - 13:39

Well for £12 it was worth a gamble.

Some T-Cut and bit of TLC and who knows.

Alas beyond T Cut and a nib full of holes...ah well, a gamble it was.

The feed, grip, cigar band and barrel cap might be of some use.

Holed clean through on this one,

fpn_1400350465__dscn1235.jpg

and I suspect a bent nib at some time,

fpn_1400350606__dscn1236.jpg

Edited by Force, 17 May 2014 - 18:17.

#431 mrcharlie

mrcharlie

Peacock Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2014 - 23:02

<non word sounds> Yee ah.</non word sounds>

That's not good. The tines and tine gap especially. Sorry.

#432 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 20:10

Not a bad deal...

~ Benjamin Franklin

#433 recluse

recluse

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 20:48

Am I missing something? What is good about it?

#434 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 8,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 21:06

Alas, no pics, so I can't really judge.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#435 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 23:30

Am I missing something? What is good about it?

They are hard to find.

Alas, no pics, so I can't really judge.

D.ick

If you don't sign in to the fpgeeks site, you can't see the pics.

#436 recluse

recluse

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 23:55

They are hard to find.

One hour left, roller ball, fountain pen set in decent shape, for 60 dollars, zero bids.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item338ebd78de

Such sort of offers are not rare. For half the price, that'd be interesting indeed.

#437 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:01

Such sort of offers are not rare. For half the price, that'd be interesting indeed.

Um, apples and oranges. Yes, both your offer and the one I linked contain Phileas fps. However, yours were a much more common color, and the nib, while not mentioned (and I couldn't zoom in enough) looked to be a M (or possibly F). Two of the three pens I linked had much harder to find Phil nibs (XF, B). And in very good condition.

It may not be something for the casual buyer, but for a completist - and they exist - those nibs and 2 of the colors made it a more unusual offer, and reasonable prices (not a steal, but reasonable). People who need a particular pen or nib to complete a gathering will pay a lot more than that.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#438 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:03

If you don't sign in to the fpgeeks site, you can't see the pics.

I apologize. I forget, being a member there, that not signing in keeps the pics from showing. I'll certainly remember that if I ever link in the future.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#439 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:36

One hour left, roller ball, fountain pen set in decent shape, for 60 dollars, zero bids.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item338ebd78de

Yes, those are harder to find than the marbled pens.  I think they are older issues. 

The green marbled set is seen more often, and I recently bought one for $61 from a member here selling on ebay, giving me two green marbled fountain pens, two blue danube marbled fountain pens and a disgusting red marbled pen that looks like a bloody mess (a mess of blood).  Marbled must have been among the later issues.

Enjoying my Lara Croft Tomb Raider pen more.  It has even more of a youthful elan. 

#440 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:51

Holed clean through on this one,

fpn_1400350465__dscn1235.jpg

and I suspect a bent nib at some time,

fpn_1400350606__dscn1236.jpg

The corrosion does seem to be a worry.  I am cleaning out the few Phileas pens I have.  I think I will ink one of them when I mean to use it, and then flush it afterwards in the hope of avoiding this.  That nib does look as if it had been bent at some time.  I have seen evidence of bent nibs on a number of modern pens, particularly Parker Sonnet steel gold plated nibs.  I am wondering if nibs are made thinner today than previously, making bent nibs more common.  Possibly it is caused by pressing too hard.

#441 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 8,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:43

Sorry, but I find this a bit silly. You buy a pen, and decide not to use it because the ink might corrode the nib. Does not make much sense unless you are a collector -non-user and want to preserve the pen for future generations.

Use your pen, treat it properly, and if in the long run it corrodes a bit, well too bad. That's the thing with steel nibs: cheap and still nice writers but more prone to corrosion. If you do not want corrosion buy an expensive pen with a gold nib.

These pens were made as cheap entry pens. Do not expect them to behave like top of the line pens, even with all the hype and inflated prices.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#442 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 18:19

Sorry, but I find this a bit silly. You buy a pen, and decide not to use it because the ink might corrode the nib. Does not make much sense unless you are a collector -non-user and want to preserve the pen for future generations.

Use your pen, treat it properly, and if in the long run it corrodes a bit, well too bad. That's the thing with steel nibs: cheap and still nice writers but more prone to corrosion. If you do not want corrosion buy an expensive pen with a gold nib.

These pens were made as cheap entry pens. Do not expect them to behave like top of the line pens, even with all the hype and inflated prices.

D.ick

I think I didn't express my intention clearly.  I mean to use each pen, but to not leave ink in them between uses.  I know I won't get out every trace of ink, but the intent is to reduce exposure to corrosion.  This corrosion does seem strange, though. 

#443 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:40

Post #419. Ebay found in my favour that the pen was not as described and refunded my money.

Unfortunately, a few days prior to their decision, the seller managed to get Ebay to remove my Neutral feedback...something I fail to understand.

#444 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 13:45

Congratulations on getting a refund.  I didn't think ebay ever removed feedback.

#445 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 16:46

Two days ago I asked this seller if there were any signs of corrosion on the nib...no reply yet, from which I assume there is. Backed up by the fact there is not a picture of the nib.

#446 pajaro

pajaro

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,412 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 17:40

One picture of the pen, capped.  Can you assume there is a nib in there?

#447 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 19:07

Perhaps it has corroded away.

#448 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 14:35

Update: I progressed the first question again and still no reply.

In short, steer well clear of this pen.

I asked the seller a question pertaining to the leather bag being sold and she replied to it. So I returned an email say OK what about my pen questions then...let's see what transpires.

You guessed it...no reply.

Edited by Force, 06 June 2014 - 18:33.

#449 TwelveDrawings

TwelveDrawings

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 16:28

One picture of the pen, capped.  Can you assume there is a nib in there?

Sounds like the fast-talking car salesman who insists on keeping the hood of the used car firmly closed. Buyer, get thee outta there!

#450 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• 3,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2014 - 18:12

WOW :o