Phileas Phever

Left FPN

I guess some eggs are round.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• TwelveDrawings

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it's soon to be Easter, and we have those little chocolate eggs again with their brightly coloured wrappers, so I named them after those, but indeed they are round, but you can see those wrappers...... Which has BTW nothing to do at all with the Phileas pen.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Trying to decide whom to give my next Phileas to. A humble friend who is leaving a post after doing a great job? A long-ago teacher who deserves a simple thank you? They would be puzzled or even uncomfortable receiving something of high dollar value. But both of them would very much appreciate the style and performance of "the little pen that could". — TwelveDrawings

Edited by TwelveDrawings

Trying to decide whom to give my next Phileas to. A humble friend who is leaving a post after doing a great job? A long-ago teacher who deserves a simple thank you? They would be puzzled or even uncomfortable receiving something of high dollar value. But both of them would very much appreciate the style and performance of "the little pen that could". — TwelveDrawings

A well thought gift.... well done TD.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

A noble thought, TD. There is no better pen to fit that purpose.

I was thinking what a fine pen my first Phileas is and got caught up in the Phever recently. I am sure I will not regret it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Hmmm. An anti-rolling device for clipless pens. Not sure I will need one, but its good to know its purpose. Thanks, Jon. -- TwelveDrawings

(BTW, I note there have been 4,280+ views of this thread thus far. Phileas seems to continue to stir up interest.)

Orchid clips, there I have said it.

fpn_1394295808__dscn0802.jpg

Lacks... gravitas.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Lacks... gravitas.

I hope my wife doesn't see this. It just hasn't occured to her yet.

and when there is confusion between Kultur and Phili the price might increase.

I take it then that that pen in the auction is a Kultur? They often seem alike, but I have found that my Phileas pens write well and always seem to start, where my Kultur writes like a modern Parker: non starter and needing a flush and fill to get going.

I guess the punch line should be to buy a Phileas from someone who knows the pens.

I can't get that image of the orchid clips out of my mind. "Lacks gravitas." Yes. Lacks machismo.

fpn_1394295808__dscn0802.jpg

This inspires me to bedazzle my Phileas. Anyone know where I can get some sequins and glue? -- TwelveDrawings

I think the point is more to keep the pen from rolling on the desk. Many people prefer not to "post" their pens, and once there's no clip involved, the pen is free to roam. A pen rest keeps the potential for a drop to the floor less likely. I can't imagine anyone would expect it to have an effect on nib-drying, except maybe an adverse one!

Too bad they aren't blue.

Jon, I am curious. What does it mean to "post" a pen? It brings to mind those grand old desktop penholding sets that businessmen commonly placed on their desks. But I doubt that's what you're referring to. Care to share?— TwelveDrawings

Jon, I am curious. What does it mean to "post" a pen? It brings to mind those grand old desktop penholding sets that businessmen commonly placed on their desks. But I doubt that's what you're referring to. Care to share?— TwelveDrawings

Posting is the common pen term to describe placing the cap of your pen on the end of the barrel when you write. For a seemingly innocuous action, there are a lot of elements that come into play, as it alters the balance and weight of the pen in your hand. Not every pen was even designed to post, and many, by virtue of the way either the cap or barrel end is designed, can't post. It also depends on how heavy the parts are and how long.

Older, very short pens can't even be used without posting, and some long, heavy pens become totally unwieldy (frequently "back-heavy") if posted. It just varies by pen, and many people get hooked on an absolute of one way or the other, but in truth, if you end up with a lot of different kinds of pens, you'll find some you like to post, and others you don't, and you just do what feels good in your hand.

The one big caveat: for many pens, repeated posting can wear the barrel where the cap slides on to this. Again, it varies from pen to pen, but many people who collect and/or use vintage pens prefer to not post (or, rather, abhor the thought!) so as to not mar the finish of the barrel of a prized possession. A Lamy Safari or the like? Sure, post away! A vintage Conway-Stuart, or a beautiful urishi Nakaya? Eh, not on your life.

HTH

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Posting is the common pen term to describe placing the cap of your pen on the end of the barrel when you write. For a seemingly innocuous action, there are a lot of elements that come into play, as it alters the balance and weight of the pen in your hand. Not every pen was even designed to post, and many, by virtue of the way either the cap or barrel end is designed, can't post. It also depends on how heavy the parts are and how long.

HTH

Fascinating. I never thought about it, but when I try to write with my favorite Phileas uncapped, I absolutely do not like the feel. I will instinctively grab the cap and post it, after which the pen "feels" right.

The barrel of the Phileas includes a brass weight, which its cousin the Kultur lacks. I assumed it was intended to give the Phileas a greater overall heft. But located where it is, it should improve the balance when the pen is not posted. I think the reason I post is because I have rather large hands, which swallow up the unposted pen.

Thank you for explaining.

TwelveDrawings

Edited by TwelveDrawings

The one big caveat: for many pens, repeated posting can wear the barrel where the cap slides on to this. Again, it varies from pen to pen, but many people who collect and/or use vintage pens prefer to not post (or, rather, abhor the thought!) so as to not mar the finish of the barrel of a prized possession. A Lamy Safari or the like? Sure, post away! A vintage Conway-Stuart, or a beautiful urishi Nakaya? Eh, not on your life.

HTH

You make another interesting observation. I know that when a Phileas is described as new or "lightly-used", I examine the the barrel closely. For whatever reason (probably the grade of plastic used), the Phileas is quick to show light scratching where the cap slides on. That doesn't hurt the function of the pen, but in a situation where photos are all one has, that is a telltale clue that the pen has received more than "light" use. Thanks again. -- TwelveDrawings

Edited by TwelveDrawings

I, too, prefer to post a pen like a Phileas. And without that brass insert it would be too light for me to use.

Indeed, as you infer, the posting wear is a visual issue. In one sense, it is a guide to the amount/kind of use a pen has gotten (a lot easier to tolerate than looking at photos of pens with bite marks all over the back end of the barrel...). While cosmetic, any wear can have an effect on the value of a good vintage pen, as one can reasonably imagine. These are some of the dividing line issues, I suppose, when one starts getting pens that fall in both "user" and "collectible" categories: how much do you want to make this object a daily, functional part of your life, versus how much would you like to keep this as a cherished item to pass on to future generations in as pristine a condition as possible?

Yes, there are decisions in life!

BTW: one of the things that stopped me from ever being a 'collector' of Phileas pens, as opposed to just liking them for the good pen that they are, was when I realized that the patterns on them are done in an assembly line fashion. I have no idea how deep the patterns go into the plastic, whether they are 'silk screened' on or printed in some manner, but each and every one is identical (in each color variation, that is). Knowing that each pen looks just like the next, as opposed to vintage celluloid/plastic, where each pen is unique, lost all interest for me. I bring this up because I've often wondered how deep the color/patterns go (obviously not all the way through, as you can see inside the barrel), and how deep would either scratching or polishing have to invade before exposing the underlying plastic color.

~ Benjamin Franklin

The pattern on the Phileas is printed on; it's only a paint layer thick. There is a seam that runs down the barrel. I probably shouldn't have told you, because it's always bothered me.

The solid colors do go through the acrylic. On the others, just unscrew the blind cap to see the color of the barrel.

The Phileas is soft acrylic; they scratch very easily. I remember seeing them new on the shelves years ago and thinking they must get covered in fine scratches by the time they get through the factory gates. The solid red and turquoise are better. the black not so much.

This is one reason I like the Kultur. They may be plastic, but the colors, like the translucent swirls and marbles, go through the plastic.

If you want the same feel with the Kultur just wrap a piece of lead tape around the converter, and it feels just like a Phileas.

I stand by my long-ago comparison of the Phileas to the original VW Beetle. Its appeal does seem to not arise from fine materials or a flawless design. Rather its various aspects mesh together into an overall "it" factor. Like the Beetle, the Phileas inspires passionate devotion from some buyers and a "who-would-want-one?" mystification from higher-end aficianados. I could try other pens and they would probably impress me. But I do enjoy having a pen that works well but I can carry without worrying TOO much if it gets lost or damaged. Instead of one Mont Blanc, I have opted for a large handful of Watermans.

P.S. I suppose one could draw a comparison between Kultur and the New Beetle. But there the metaphor breaks down. The Phileas is a higher quality pen than Kultur by any measure I can think of. Whereas, the New Beetle was unquestionably a technologically superior automobile. Still, the "it" factor remains in play for me. Given a choice between a mint condition 1970 Beetle and a mint condition New Beetle, I would opt for the older classic. To each his or her own.

Edited by TwelveDrawings

Funny, one of the things I love about this model is that it feels ergonomically perfect to me un-posted, and it is also great posted. The cap is so light I hardly feel the difference. With most pens I prefer it one way or the other. The oldest rounded end version of the Sheaffer Cartridge Pen is the other model I have where I can post or not post and either way is great.

I like the variants with no barrel weight just as much in terms of hand feel; the lighter the better with pens, as far as I'm concerned.