Goulet #6 Nibs From Jowo

tonybelding

I just got the update today from Goulet Pen Company, and I found out they are now selling their own Goulet Pen Company #6 stainless steel nibs. They're made in Germany by JoWo, they come in the full spread of EF, F, M, B, ST (stub) 1.1mm and ST 1.5mm. These are polished white stainless (no gold plating) and have the Goulet ink splat and the letters GP imprinted!

The nibs are sold without any feed or housing, just the nib itself for $15. Some of you may not realize why this is a big deal.

These are great nibs. I just found out about this, so obviously I don't have one yet, but JoWo #6 nibs are a familiar component in pens from Taccia, Edison, Monteverde (I think) and the newest TWSBIs. The ones I've used have been excellent. In fact, if anybody in the world makes a better stainless steel nib than JoWo, I haven't found out about it yet.

Nobody has offered bare nibs at this price before! JoWo nibs have been available through some specialty shops (such as Meister Nibs), but only as a complete nib-feed-housing unit at a higher price point -- and in many cases the plastic components these came with wouldn't fit your brand of pen anyhow, so it was just a waste. Being able to buy the bare nibs at a great price, and get them conveniently through an outlet like Goulet, is brilliant! Those of us who tinker with our pens have needed something like this.

With Edison pens, Bexley pens, the new TWSBI Vac 700 and many other brands that come with German-made #6 nibs, it should be a perfect drop-in replacement. With the Noodler's pens it's not quite that, although it can work.

According to Goulet, these #6 nibs will fit "all Noodler's Ahab and Konrad pens". However, #6 nib is supposed to fit a 6mm diameter feed. My Ahab has a 1/4" diameter feed, which is about 6.35mm. The pen section provides enough tension to sort of squeeze it into shape and make it work. It did require me to move it around until the ink flowed right, as it doesn't automatically slot into a fixed position in the Ahab.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vondauster

• Helen350

• GordonH

• heymatthew

I'm going to order one for my Vac 700, that way I can have a "custom" Goulet Vac 700. :thumbup:

Edited by Sallent

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

I just saw this as well and watched Brian's video on YouTube. I think the nibs look great! I'll definitely pick up one of the stubs next time I put in a Goulet order. I think this is a really neat option the Goulets have made available that should simplify the whole idea of customizing Noodler's pens.

Good work, Goulets. It's things like this that continue to revitalize the FP community. :thumbup:

Can't wait to pick up one or two of these myself. Definitely a great option for anyone with a Vac 700. I can get two Goulet nibs for just a little more than a replacement TWSBI setup. And they're pretty much the same nibs at this point with TWSBI having switched over to JoWo, right? I'd like to have one for my Ahab as well. I converted it to an inkdropper and it would be nice to throw a broad or stub on there and use it for some heavy writing.

Looking forward to the first reports from these nibs.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

• 2 months later...

I couldn't help myself and bought the whole set. Not because I was indecisive, but because I wanted to experiment with everything from EF to 1.5. I can't recommend them enough. They're fantastic.

Also, they've released a gold plated version (bi-color). Dang. Might have to order some more...

I have been looking at one of these for my Konrad. Maybe a stub or an EF.......

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Nobody has offered bare nibs at this price before! JoWo nibs have been available through some specialty shops (such as Meister Nibs), but only as a complete nib-feed-housing unit at a higher price point -- and in many cases the plastic components these came with wouldn't fit your brand of pen anyhow, so it was just a waste. Being able to buy the bare nibs at a great price, and get them conveniently through an outlet like Goulet, is brilliant! Those of us who tinker with our pens have needed something like this.

xfountainpens also offers bare nibs, but at a lower price: http://www.xfountainpens.com/Accessories-s/32.htm

fountain pen revolution offers even flex steel nibs for less....

Kevin's nibs are #5, And he offers EF through stub, as well as flex. Decent nibs and great replacements for most of the pens he offers.

Goulet's two-tone nibs look great - I'm thinking of trying one on my underused yellow Monteverde Invincia. Hey, at this price you're not risking much in any case. :D

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

• 3 months later...

I have been using the Goulet M nib in my Konrad pen, and I have been quite happy with it.

I bought the whole pack. I learned that it's true: I really do prefer a fine/extra fine nib. However, I was surprised to discover that I also enjoy a stub italic nib.

The Goulet nibs really are nice writers. For the most part, I prefer the flex nib that comes with the Konrad, but, for non-flex nibs, these are great.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Bought the whole set of Goulet two-tone nibs and really enjoy them. Most are in Ahabs where they work great after heat-setting the feed.

Love John's nib work, but I am not sure if/where he sells online?

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Following up on my much earlier post - I bought two medium nibs from Goulet. Both turned out smooth right out of the, um, tiny ink container they were shipped in, with good wetness. Konrad and Monteverde respectively with no issues and, in my opinion, much improved writing characteristics so long as flex isn't a priority.

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the conversation here, but thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm thrilled to have been able to bring these nibs to the fountain pen world, and the feedback I've gotten on them has all been very positive, as I hoped it would be after testing them quite a bit myself. To answer tonybelding's original question, they will fit into a variety of other brands' pens, like the ones that have been mentioned here. The reason I don't tout this fact on my website and in my videos is because I don't want to step on any toes for these companies or cause any problems with their warranties (if you put my nib in their pen and have a problem, they won't take responsibility for that, obviously). I had express permission (and encouragement) from Nathan at Noodler's to promote my nibs in his pens and that was the greatest need for them, so that's why I used the Ahab and Konrad in my video.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

How do they perform in the Vac 700? I have some from xfountainpens that skip terribly and will just stop writing for no reason at all. If these problems don't happen with the goulet nibs I will probably order one fro my vac 700.

I bought a medium and a 1.1 stub italic in the two tone finish from Goulet when I was ordering some other things. I fitted the medium to a Jinhao X450 that I got for free and it is the smoothest nib I have in my collection. Although its a medium it feels like a parker medium, so slightly at the broad end of medium. The pen runs wet but I have had no drips into the cap or any issues with the feed not keeping up. Were it not for the snap on cap, which needs a lot of pressure and seems like it will eventually snap I would give the whole pen a much higher rating. The nib is five stars though. I can highly recommend it.

I had intended fitting the 1.1 to a Jinhao 159 for use for music writing, but I happen to have bought a used Pierre Cardin pen for a few pounds which unexpectedly uses a no 6 nib. Its not a very well made pen, but I think with a good clean, new nib and a Schmidt converter it might make it useful for my musical purposes.

I'm using a steel #6 nib (bought from Goulet) in my Danitrio Fellowship and a steel #6 nib (bought from Edison) in my Danitrio Komori -- both work great!

I like these steel nibs, very much.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.