Noisy Nib?

ajitk

I purchased a Pelikan M800 blue o blue fine nib last year. Writing was a bit scratchy and ink flow was not that good. I contact Chartpak and they replaced the nib. I received my pen back last Friday.

I notice that the writing is a lot smoother and the ink flow is better. However, it appears that the nib is much noisier now. By noisier, I mean that I can hear it when I write. I've tried a couple of different kinds of paper for the same result. I can suppress the noise only when I write very gently. It is quite noisy when I write as usual.

I can't quite recall it being this noisy with the original nib.

Do you find the M800 fine nib noisy? Please share your experience.

Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ajitk

• Bo Bo Olson

• Erik Dalton

• seasterl

Noisy nibs usually (In my limited experience) mean there's something wrong with the nib geometry. It's not wrong enough to be scratchy, or if it is, it's tolerable, but there's something wrong. It's most likely a tine misalignment, which is a very common problem with new pens of all types.

I have a Lamy 2000 with an OB nib. It write very wet and smooth but it also "sings". Sounds like a miniature tuning fork, not all together unpleasant. I enjoy the sound though I can't use this pen when doing undercover work.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

My six-week-old Pelikan M800 has a slightly scratchy F nib - more of a noise than a feel, I would say.

I've not decided if it bothers me enough to do anything about it :/

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

You have to pay extra for singing straight razor or swords, both loose their voice, the sword first; it gets swung more.

Perhaps some with them can tell how long it takes for them to become mute.

One of my nibs sings or sang, can't remember which...can't remember which pen it had been either. :headsmack:

Must have gone away fairly quickly.

Could have a poll to see how long a nib sings on the average.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My M800 F nib "sings" as you say. It's the only Pelikan nib I have that makes a sound while writing, and it's my only nib that was not purchased from and tuned by Mottishaw. I gave in to the temptation to buy cheap from Asia. Trying a smoother ink helps a little and the pen still writes very well. I think it borders on the common effects of being too fine but not big enough to lay down a lot of ink to make it feel smooth and noise-free. My Mottishaw-tuned EF is quiet and smooth. I can live with it. The only "fix" would be to order a new one from a nibmeister pre-tuned, I guess.

You have to pay extra for singing straight razor or swords, both loose their voice, the sword first; it gets swung more.

Perhaps some with them can tell how long it takes for them to become mute.

One of my nibs sings or sang, can't remember which...can't remember which pen it had been either. :headsmack:

Must have gone away fairly quickly.

Could have a poll to see how long a nib sings on the average.

Thank you for all your responses. I appreciate it.

Bo, would you recommend that I wait a while to see if the sound goes away?

Seasterl's noise didn't ebb, so perhaps it varies from nib to nib.

I can ask Chartpak for another nib replacement, but if I should wait a while,

I'll do it.

Do let me know how long to wait in writing-hours.

Watermans ink helped mine, but Pelikan ink is not good. Visconti is also pretty good. For mine, improving flow seems to help.

Hi ajitk,

In it didn't bother me I didn't measure or worry. It was though a 'used' old pen.

I'm trying to remember which one it was. I have the impression it was a 'no name' little used if not NOS pen.

Take the pen, using just your fingernails press outwards just slightly on the nib between the breather hole and the tip, one finger nail to each nib half.

Just a tiny bit, like you was going to make the nib write wetter.

Gently and just a small bit. The tines will not 'rub' together as much any more.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi ajitk,

In it didn't bother me I didn't measure or worry. It was though a 'used' old pen.

I'm trying to remember which one it was. I have the impression it was a 'no name' little used if not NOS pen.

Take the pen, using just your fingernails press outwards just slightly on the nib between the breather hole and the tip, one finger nail to each nib half.

Just a tiny bit, like you was going to make the nib write wetter.

Gently and just a small bit. The tines will not 'rub' together as much any more.

Bo,

Thanks again for your response.

I am not sure what people mean by ``sing''. I would describe the sound as something like scratching, kind of like the sound a nib might make if there is no ink and you put it to paper, perhaps as trapcode described. The ink flow is good though.

I observed the nib under a high power magnifying lens and could not find any obvious misalignment.

I am not sure what you mean by ``press outwards''. Let us say that I am holding the pen such that the nib is pointed towards me with the design pattern facing up (this is the pattern and the Pelikan logo and 18C-750). Please describe how I should press when the nib is in this orientation.

Thanks.

I

Do you find the M800 fine nib noisy? Please share your experience.

Thanks.

No, not noisy. Keep sending the nibs back till they give you a good nib. Pelikan nibs are apparently notorious out of the box...

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Some nibs sing...which I thought you were talking about.Humming, squeaking, ""Sounds like a miniature tuning fork"", not fingernails nails on a blackboard.

A nib that is unpleasant scratchy sounding with out misalignment, should be sent back as Hari said.

• 2 months later...

I got my nib replaced yet again. Abi (Chartpak) was most accommodating.

Unfortunately, the replacement nib is scratchy. It is not as smooth as the previous one and makes the same amount of noise. (Nib is a fine and ink is Aurora blue.)

I live in San Jose, CA. Is there a local pen repair store that I can contact so that an expert can judge if the nib is indeed bad or if I can just being too picky or applying too much pressure? Alternatively, is there a place/time where FP users gather so that others can judge my pen?

Most reviews of the M800 have said that the pen writes very well and the nib is buttery smooth. There are a few video reviews on Youtube; I don't hear much of a noise when pen meets paper in any of those videos. Yet, I'm on my third nib and I'm not experiencing any of the superlatives. My $1 Hero pen is smoother and quieter :( .

Thanks.

Thanks.

• 6 years later...

Like many others I'm struggling with a nib that feels quiet but isn't. It makes a faint screech, not loud but not really pleasant. It writes smoothly, I have addressed all the issues the experts point out. including rounded inner margins but still this nib is the noisiest in my modest collection. BTW I'm referring to an Eversharp nib on Slim Ventura.

So you got a singing nib! Congratulations. I have a couple of those and enjoy listening to them. Don’t go messing with the nib, It won’t sing forever. After a bit of writing in, it will settle down and you’ll miss all the noise it once made.

Now on your third nib...Guess you miss the singing nib. This one sounds like it needs some tuning. Should not be scratchy. Hope you can get it tuned up and writing well.

I have a singing m800 EF nib. I love it, it is fun, but I know that it may be bothersome for others. During a lesson a lecturer kept staring at me because in the room you could only hear his voice and my nib. So I try to use it mostly at home.

I still think that the OP probably needs to start some smoothing of his or her own accord? If the third nib from Chartpak is not smooth, then five minutes' worth of time will do the job, most likely -- never mind sending it away again!