Learning To Draw With Pen & Ink

daniellem

Now you've got me inspired to go look for the Lohan book(s), and maybe get back into doing art again (using fountain pens has already gotten me back into writing poetry).

Thanks for posting. I keep being constantly amazed by the creativity and talent of people on FPN.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth[/font]

Ruth, if you do have a go with the Lohan books, please do post here; it would be so fun to have others joining in on the learning adventure. I too am amazed by the talent to be found in the FPN forums -- it has been very inspiring. Not to mention how generous everyone is with encouragement and information and helpful tips and suggestions.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daniellem

• Sailor Kenshin

• candidvn

• notbob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is great having another sketcher in the mix. The best thing to do is just draw. Don't be afraid to go on your own and sketch what you see out there. Try different line combinations and different ways to create textures. Challenge yourself but make certain you enjoy yourself.

I use a Noodler's pen with Noodler's Kiowa Pecan ink. It gives sort of a warm feeling to the drawings, not quite as stark as black can be. Often the paper I use is Strathmore's Toned Tan paper. I use the tone of the paper as my midtone, the brown ink gives me the darks, and I use a white pencil to work in the highlights. You seem to like achieving different lines. One pen I could suggest is Hero's M86 calligraphy pen. It has a fude style nib (bent nib) and as you change the angle of the pen in relation to the paper surface the line changes, from quite fine to almost like working with a wide marker. Isellpens.com has them for $10.00, so you wouldn't be breaking the bank to try one. There are other pens out there with the same style nib, but I enjoyed the one I used for drawing.

Good luck and happy drawing.

Thanks so much for the encouragement -- my goal is to do a little every day and hopefully see decent progress over the course of the year... I'm definitely having fun and find that the day is always more pleasant when I've made the time to slow down and draw for a bit. It's also very interesting to find that I'm looking at things more closely, and noticing details that I would have previously overlooked.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding a brown ink that I like -- I have Noodler's 41 but don't love the color, and I've tried a sample of Noodler's Walnut but it doesn't flow very well (at least in the two pens I've tried it in). I'll plan on giving the Kiowa Pecan a try the next time I order some inks. I'm also curious about the Iroshizuku brown (Yama Guri?) as I really love drawing with the Iroshizuku grey (Kiri Same).

I had never heard of that Hero M86 pen before and looked it up -- it sure looks interesting! And you certainly can't beat that price, so I went ahead and ordered it, plus a $4.00 Hero 360 which I'd been wanting to try. So for a whopping $14.00 I now have two cool pens to look forward to trying out -- thanks for the tip! When they come I'll give them a whirl in whatever exercise I'm working on at the time and post some pics of the result...

Thats a great looking drawing; like others said keep practicing and you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll progress.

Here is a quick one made recently of the Nashville Public Library; this was tricky for me due to the center massing between a full story taller with its pedimented roof. My perspective is off in a couple of places (its hard drawing perspective in public areas with people constantly looking over one's shoulder)

It was drawn on Stillman & Birn Beta series paper which I love. The pen was a Platinum 3776 with a UEF. I'm currently looking at treating myself to a Nakaya Dorsal Fin with either a UEF nib or F nib with full flex so that it is more versatile for writing as well.

I've always felt a little bit hesitant about drawing over pencil marks -- I've had countless bad experiences doing so back when I was a user of gel pens/rollerballs. Your drawing just proved that one CAN!

How so? I have never used gel pens over pencil. Do they smudge? Using fountain pens over pencil is a modification of my drafting training where construction lines were laid out in pencil and then inked with Rapidographs.

Edited by MiamiArchStudent

I'm about to start on exercise #2 from "Step by Step Pen & Ink Sketching". Here's the initial pencil sketch, I'll post the "after" version once I've had the chance to digest Mr. Lohan's guidance and put down some ink...

post-34411-0-79722500-1364791311.jpg

I haven't really used my fountain pens for sketching or drawing, other than making a little drawing as part of ink testing. I was an art major in college, though, and did use Rapidographs and occasionally dip pens.

Now you've got me inspired to go look for the Lohan book(s), and maybe get back into doing art again (using fountain pens has already gotten me back into writing poetry).

Thanks for posting. I keep being constantly amazed by the creativity and talent of people on FPN.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Those Lohan books are highly recommended. In fact it was his books that got me into fountain pens! I was a sketch artist, too. For years I looked for the Pelikan 120, pictured among the tools and equipment he suggested.

Finally got a vintage 120 years later, given to me by a pen pal.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

What a great thread!

I'm new to the current peniverse, but like drawing, I've lingered and diddled at the beginning of this road once before. Now that I'm retired with time to burn, I'm traveling down it in earnest, this time with much more pleasure. Getting back into FPs has opened many long closed paths and I'm loving it. Pencil sketching, calligraphy, watercolor, etc. I've always been intrigued by pen n' ink, but never considered myself good enough to commit. No longer! Now it's jes another approach to the same destination, art. So many avenues. I see the Lohan thing. Shading with pen n' ink. Love it. Never worked with ink in drafting, but I've worked as an Acad droid. I can do that. I'm trying to learn to do portraits in pencil, but would love to do it in ink. I've seen that water n' ink stuff before. Leigh Reyes, a FPN denizen and pro artist, swims in the stuff: water-ink link

I'm one of those ppl that becomes bored easily. I never realized putting lines to paper could be so vast and so much fun. I'll never be bored again. Plus! ....history (another fave hobby) and words to live by: Nulla dies sine linea. Not a day without a line drawn, attributed by Pliny the Elder to the ancient Greek artist, Appelles, Pliny the Elder also being my favorite beer. Geez, is there anything this thread hasn't touched on?

What a great thread! ;)

nulla dies sine linea

Those Lohan books are highly recommended. In fact it was his books that got me into fountain pens! I was a sketch artist, too. For years I looked for the Pelikan 120, pictured among the tools and equipment he suggested.

Finally got a vintage 120 years later, given to me by a pen pal.

I've been searching for a 120 for the exact same reason! Finally found one at a price I could live with a couple weeks ago, but it's coming fro overseas so I don't know when it will get here. Am hoping it's in decent condition as per the seller's assurances. Fingers crossed...

What a great thread!

I've always been intrigued by pen n' ink, but never considered myself good enough to commit. No longer! Now it's jes another approach to the same destination, art. So many avenues. I see the Lohan thing. Shading with pen n' ink. Love it.

Hi notbob, please do post your pen and ink sketches here, it will be fun to share the adventure with others learning this medium!

I just uploaded this photo to another thread (what your desk looks like) -- but I'm practicing drawing for an upcoming trip. I'm still very much a novice. The Lohan books sound great -- but then I remembered that I over the past year or so, I've bought a few books about drawing and haven't (um, ahem) looked at them much less read them. Sigh.

Now that my only Internet connection at home is via my smartphone, I don't have access to so many distractions. Saturday afternoon, I listened to podcasts while I practiced drawing and got other things done. Actually, I got almost everything that I wanted to do on Saturday done on Saturday. Hooray!

fpn_1364843439__desktop_20130330.jpg

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I just uploaded this photo to another thread (what your desk looks like) -- but I'm practicing drawing for an upcoming trip. I'm still very much a novice. The Lohan books sound great -- but then I remembered that I over the past year or so, I've bought a few books about drawing and haven't (um, ahem) looked at them much less read them. Sigh.

fpn_1364843439__desktop_20130330.jpg

There are so many fantastic books on drawing out there... another one I'm enjoying going through right now is Bert Dodson's "Keys to Drawing" just to get a better handle on basic drawing and seeing skills.

The drawing in your desk pic is wonderful -- I love the bold lines, and the stylized look of the end result! What pen(s)/inks did you use for this one?

(I'm also admiring your fish in the background (near center top of the pick) -- is that a paperweight, or does it hold something in its mouth?

I just uploaded this photo to another thread (what your desk looks like) -- but I'm practicing drawing for an upcoming trip.

There are so many fantastic books on drawing out there... another one I'm enjoying going through right now is Bert Dodson's "Keys to Drawing" just to get a better handle on basic drawing and seeing skills.

The drawing in your desk pic is wonderful -- I love the bold lines, and the stylized look of the end result! What pen(s)/inks did you use for this one?

(I'm also admiring your fish in the background (near center top of the pick) -- is that a paperweight, or does it hold something in its mouth?

Thank you, DM. I'm pretty sure I can't help the stylized look. That's just how I started drawing two years ago; I guess it is my way. Hahaha.

I used two Nakayas - Desk Pen, Long Piccolo - and a Pelikan M205 with a Keuning Monster nib -- all with Noodler's Black w/an Old Manhattan Blackety-Black Black boost (or OMB boost).

The fish is small container. Right now there are a couple of silver rings in its mouth.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

What a great thread!

I'm new to the current peniverse, but like drawing, I've lingered and diddled at the beginning of this road once before. Now that I'm retired with time to burn, I'm traveling down it in earnest, this time with much more pleasure. Getting back into FPs has opened many long closed paths and I'm loving it. Pencil sketching, calligraphy, watercolor, etc. I've always been intrigued by pen n' ink, but never considered myself good enough to commit. No longer! Now it's jes another approach to the same destination, art. So many avenues. I see the Lohan thing. Shading with pen n' ink. Love it. Never worked with ink in drafting, but I've worked as an Acad droid. I can do that. I'm trying to learn to do portraits in pencil, but would love to do it in ink. I've seen that water n' ink stuff before. Leigh Reyes, a FPN denizen and pro artist, swims in the stuff: water-ink link

I'm one of those ppl that becomes bored easily. I never realized putting lines to paper could be so vast and so much fun. I'll never be bored again. Plus! ....history (another fave hobby) and words to live by: Nulla dies sine linea. Not a day without a line drawn, attributed by Pliny the Elder to the ancient Greek artist, Appelles, Pliny the Elder also being my favorite beer. Geez, is there anything this thread hasn't touched on?

What a great thread! ;)

I am SOOOOOOOOO glad you posted that link. Her techniques are truly inspiring!!!! Thanks a million!!

Regards,

Subramaniyam

I am SOOOOOOOOO glad you posted that link. Her techniques are truly inspiring!!!! Thanks a million!!

My pleasure.

Leigh Reyes is a rare jewel. I stumbled across her while googling for calligraphy and find her a total hoot. She loves a good fountain pen and is a total flex junkie. I've learned much from her and was only mildly surprised to find she occasionally posts to FPN (Leigh R). While I'm not a big water n' ink fan and even less of a manga fan, I still very much admire her artistic talent, not to mention her talent for speaking her mind and great sense of humor. She's one of the brighter stars in our peniverse. ;)

nulla dies sine linea

OK, daniellem. You've done it now. Your first picture got me to thinking, "I might be able to do that someday, given some stepwise instruction." So I ordered a couple of Lohan's books and am smoothing nibs until they arrive. If I could add a few simple sketches to my journals, it would just break me right off at the ankles.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

OK, daniellem. You've done it now. Your first picture got me to thinking, "I might be able to do that someday, given some stepwise instruction." So I ordered a couple of Lohan's books and am smoothing nibs until they arrive. If I could add a few simple sketches to my journals, it would just break me right off at the ankles.

So happy to have a fellow pen-and-ink sketcher-in-training joining in the fun!!! :happyberet:

So... " just break me right off at the ankles" -- I've never heard that one before! Where does that phrase come from?

So happy to have a fellow pen-and-ink sketcher-in-training joining in the fun!!! :happyberet:

So... " just break me right off at the ankles" -- I've never heard that one before! Where does that phrase come from?

Amazon will show a prospective buyer a short preview of the books on offer. I took the opportunity to find out which supplies the author recommends and then drove to an art supply store to buy the things. I will be ready when the books arrive.

The phrase comes from Edward E. "Doc" Smith's "Lensman" series of SciFi books. I think it was a common expression in the 1940s.

At one point in my military service, in 1970, the ability to make a pen and ink drawing proved of great use to me. As the newest guy in the barracks, I was the object of many practical jokes. It reached the point where I had to actually learn to sleep with my eyes open. I made a pen and ink drawing of a group of crutches stuck in the ground and draped with intestines and eyes. I hung it on my locker door. The jokers decided I was crazier than they were and let me alone after that. :notworthy1: :thumbup:

Edited by Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

At one point in my military service, in 1970, the ability to make a pen and ink drawing proved of great use to me. As the newest guy in the barracks, I was the object of many practical jokes. It reached the point where I had to actually learn to sleep with my eyes open. I made a pen and ink drawing of a group of crutches stuck in the ground and draped with intestines and eyes. I hung it on my locker door. The jokers decided I was crazier than they were and let me alone after that. :notworthy1: :thumbup:

That is a great story! Evil eyes plus intestines -- that would definitely keep most folks from messing with you! :unsure:

Here is my result from going through demo 2 (Rough Stone) in Lohan's "Step by Step Pen & Ink Sketching"...

fpn_1365011990__lohan2b.jpg

(All progressions of the same sketch -- color differences due to pics being taken in natural or artificial light). The third image from the right was the "final" just using fountain pens (Falcon F/Noodler's Black, Konrad/Platinum Carbon Black), but I wasn't happy with the darkest tones, so the far right image shows how it looks after a final pass with the brush pen.

I enjoyed discovering how just a few hatched lines here and there brought out texture from the rocks! As soon as I get some time I'm going to see if I can manage to draw a part of the rock wall by my house using what I learned in this lesson. (the biggest challenge for me there will be knowing what details to keep and omit, which is the one thing no book can truly teach you how to do.)

The biggest challenge for me in this exercise was figuring out how to render differences in tone; I really need to work on that. And I think a previous suggestion to use a broad nib for crosshatching dark areas was right on the mark; I'm going to have to invest in a pen with a B nib, I guess. (Any excuse to get a new pen, right?)

This image below is my attempt to use the wash technique suggested by Sketchy and Subramaniyam on the same demonstration image. Such a different way of working! I used the same pens in this image with the addition of a Falcon M loaded with Iroshizuku Kiri Same (I LOVE that ink). I had to work really fast as the inks would not push around as well with water once they settled into the paper (Stillman & Birn Alpha mini book). I think this took only 1/6th of the time, if even, than the more traditional sketch. It felt totally different to use the pens this way. I definitely need to do a lot more of these to really figure out this method. One thing I can say is that it was super helpful to have done the longer, more detailed drawing first, because I didn't have to concentrate on where details or values should be placed. So it did allow me to work very fast and a lot more freely. Some day, I'm hoping to develop my own style that will have elements of both of these results...

fpn_1365012934__lohan2c.jpg

Edited by daniellem