Learning To Draw With Pen & Ink

daniellem

That's SMOKIN', gscott92.

Love the light blue fer apparel shadows and the random bright backgrounds. Also the simple contrasting colors of the flowers. Excellent.

nulla dies sine linea

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daniellem

• Sailor Kenshin

• candidvn

• notbob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For more on Guptill and his work, I recommend http://www.gnsi.org/journal/multifaceted-life-and-books-arthur-guptill - it is a facinating read.

I loved his homemade ink bottle holder, made of paper! What starving artists won't try by way of tools! Ingenious!

http://www.gnsi.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/generally_reduced/articles/Guptil03s.jpg

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I ordered this book a few days ago strictly because of this thread.

A while ago I bought one of the Noodler flex pens and didn't like it for writing so I got a pen with an italic nib instead. After reading here I pulled out the flex nib and tried my hand at some drawings. The results were good enough that I'm willing to embrace some instruction and see what happens.

Reading all the pages in the thread was almost an exercise in itself. Thanks to everyone who's shared their work.

- Andrew

Edited by akohtz

Reading all the pages in the thread was almost an exercise in itself. Thanks to everyone who's shared their work.

- Andrew

You read all 13 pages!? Wow - that is dedication. Can't wait to see your drawings. :)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

You read all 13 pages!? Wow - that is dedication. Can't wait to see your drawings. :)

I made it through these 13 pages, but I couldn't make it through the entire Devil's Dictionary thread that was linked to from a posting here.

The artwork in the dictionary thread was very impressive, but I couldn't make it through the whole thing in one sitting. That one I'll have to revisit.

I'm willing to post my work as I go through the exercises. It's neat to see how they've worked out for others.

- Andrew

I also had a lot of pages to catch up, after few months of absence.

Wow, people are good!

Now that the weather is getting colder, I stay more home around pens and paper, (as opposed to being outside with my camera) and I started drawing again.

Today I received in the mail a Wingsung 201, a very nice and lighht pen, with a gold 12K F nib. The nib is supposed to be soft and springy, but it is not really so. However the pen is absolutely great in the aspect that it draws a thin consistent line and never skips. Not even when drawing.

So i decided to draw a tiny cute bird from a picture I saw on the net, during slow hours in the office.

fpn_1383557964__wp_20131104_003.jpg

That is really cool! You nailed the 'bird expression!'

What ink is this?

The ink is Dux, blue black #402, produced by Hero Shanghai. It's the only bottle we have left on the desk at work to fill pens, and I inked the pen with it when it arrived.

My daughter is a doodler herself. She saw some of my pen sketches sitting on my desk and asked if she could try my flex nib. I let her have a go at it. She rather liked it so I promised I'd share the sketch book with her when it arrives. This should be interesting.

- Andrew

suexilin -- fantastic birdie -- he (she?) has a lot of character!

Andrew -- Looking forward to seeing your sketches and your daughter's, too -- what fun!

Okay. Done.

Step by Step Pen & Ink Sketching by Frank J Lohan

Demonstration 1 - The Barn Door

The Barn Door by akohtz, on Flickr

+1 very nice. Looks like you are having fun with that book :)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Okay. Done.

Step by Step Pen & Ink Sketching by Frank J Lohan

Demonstration 1 - The Barn Door

The Barn Door by akohtz, on Flickr

This is very very good beginning!

That is a great drawing, suexilin.

I'll try posting some of mine here soon.

suexilin -- fantastic birdie -- he (she?) has a lot of character!

Andrew -- Looking forward to seeing your sketches and your daughter's, too -- what fun!

Thank you :)