Help! New Twsbi 580 Stub Nib Driving Me Nuts

jhass

I received mine, flushed it with plain cold water a few times, loaded it with Diamine Green-black and haven't had any problems yet.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhass

• Fabienne

• sh0ebox

• e17

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My new XF VAC 700 (with the new Jowo nib) wrote exactly like your example. What's interesting is that I got that same result with three different nibs: two that I bought and one the Phillip sent me as a replacement. I finally got it working well, after a combination of many flushes, different inks, flossing, and even opening up the feed a bit with a razor blade. I still have one nib that hates downstrokes, so when I have time I may try to methodically figure out what the solution is.

Just an update on my situation. I tried flushing out the pen and changing inks, but the issue still persists. I did some very rudimentary tests and now it makes me feel like it's actually a little worse than I suspected, but occurs the majority of the time with downstrokes. It isn't solely limited to getting the pen to start inking... it does happen in the middle of writing as well.

In the first half of the image below, I was just repeatedly making downstrokes across the page. Going at my normal rate, increasing speed, and decreasing speed. Also I would occasionally pause for about 5-10 seconds to see if that resulted in start up issues.

On the bottom half, I just wanted to see if the pen was mostly having start up issues. Here you can see that the pen would not ink for the first 1-4 strokes, but once it got started it had no problem keeping up as long as the pen stayed in contact with the paper.

snip

Not really sure what to make of it :unsure:

Here's an update. The nib is improving. I originally flushed out the Waterman ink, and refilled with J. Herbin. After a day or two, I flushed with clear and then soapy water, rinsed, re-lubed the piston seal, and filled with Private Reserve (Orange Crush). It is much better, but still not perfect. The first stroke after the pen has been sitting (especially if clipped in pocket) is almost always a dud, unless I remember to touch the nib to the paper and then wait a split second before writing. Also, while writing there are still occasional skips, always on the down stroke of a new letter.

A new feeder is en route from TWSBI, and I am hopeful that will fix the problem once and for all. I will give the feeder a thorough cleaning in soapy water before installing it.

I spoke too soon . . . After reading that inks with red in them can stain a demonstrator, I cleaned out the Orange Crush, and refilled with Waterman Florida Blue. I've read that this is a very easy-flowing ink. Well, the TWSBI hates it. The pen is back to its old tricks again. :bonk:

My new XF VAC 700 (with the new Jowo nib) wrote exactly like your example. What's interesting is that I got that same result with three different nibs: two that I bought and one the Phillip sent me as a replacement. I finally got it working well, after a combination of many flushes, different inks, flossing, and even opening up the feed a bit with a razor blade. I still have one nib that hates downstrokes, so when I have time I may try to methodically figure out what the solution is.

Just an update on my situation. I tried flushing out the pen and changing inks, but the issue still persists. I did some very rudimentary tests and now it makes me feel like it's actually a little worse than I suspected, but occurs the majority of the time with downstrokes. It isn't solely limited to getting the pen to start inking... it does happen in the middle of writing as well.

In the first half of the image below, I was just repeatedly making downstrokes across the page. Going at my normal rate, increasing speed, and decreasing speed. Also I would occasionally pause for about 5-10 seconds to see if that resulted in start up issues.

On the bottom half, I just wanted to see if the pen was mostly having start up issues. Here you can see that the pen would not ink for the first 1-4 strokes, but once it got started it had no problem keeping up as long as the pen stayed in contact with the paper.

snip

Not really sure what to make of it :unsure:

Well I sent my pen back to Philip to have it looked at. He seemed surprised that the pen was acting the way it was. I'm hoping when it comes back it will work properly, but I guess only time will tell.

Before I sent the pen to Philip, I tried disassembling the nib and feed, but I couldn't get them out of the collar. I tried pretty hard but was not able to get them to budge. Is there a trick to getting them to separate? I looked at the illustration that came in the package and it didn't depict that the nib and feed could be separated from the collar

1959 Pelikan 400NN Flexible "F" | Pilot VP Matte Black, Binderized "EF" | TWSBI 580 with 0.6mm Pendleton Point Butter Line Stub | Waterman 0952 1/2v | Lamy Safari Charcoal "EF" and 1.1mm | Noodler's Konrad Fleur de Lis Blue Tortoise | Pilot Parallel 3.8mm

Have a look at this review - looks great to me!

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

I'm also having the hard-start problem. I flushed it out with plain water before the first inking, but will give it a go with soapy water tonight and see if that makes a difference.

I am trying to use up the Shocking Blue I put in the pen before I go for Flush-A-Rama. I am going to use the Perfect Pen Flush. I do hope you let us know what Phillip says from TWSBI.The hard start is intermittent while I am using the pen, but I can be sure of a hard start on the downstroke when it has sat for a while, capped or not.

ETA: I just emptied out a bit of Shocking Blue which was left, washed out the pen in plain water, filled it once with Perfect Flush and squeezed out a drop, sucked up a drop of water, squeezed out a bit more and sucked up a bit more of water to fill the chamber, and so on. Then I filled it up with Tanzanite. At first it was downright incontinent! Then it simmered down and I got very little stalling on the downstroke or first part of a letter. We shall see how this goes. Interesting that there is still any stalling at all with all that. But it might right itself. I will continue to try.

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I bought the 580 with a 1.1 stub nib last week from purepens.This is my first TWSBI. It arrived at the weekend., and I'm experiencing the same issue. What should I do?

I am trying to use up the Shocking Blue I put in the pen before I go for Flush-A-Rama. I am going to use the Perfect Pen Flush. I do hope you let us know what Phillip says from TWSBI.The hard start is intermittent while I am using the pen, but I can be sure of a hard start on the downstroke when it has sat for a while, capped or not.

Got a response from Philip today regarding my TWSBI I sent him. The following is what he said:

I did a little nib adjustment for you and it does not skip or hard

start on any down strokes. I didnt have too much trouble even before

I adjusted it. It was only when I left it uncapped for a while and

went back to test it that it would hard start. It could be the ink

you are using but then again I dont think there is anything wrong with

the ink you mentioned you used.

His experiences with my pen do not align with my own experiences (see photo posted earlier), but perhaps it just corrected itself somehow during transit. Hopefully when I get the pen back it will be good to go... I will be sure to post an update once that time comes.

I don't believe it had anything to do with the inks that I tried (Noodler's Apache Sunset, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Green/Black). Perhaps, just as others, these pens only need a little bit of a break-in period before they work consistently well. I find that very odd, as I've never had another pen that required such a thing, but oh well. I guess as long as it ends up working, all is well.

Edited by sh0ebox

1959 Pelikan 400NN Flexible "F" | Pilot VP Matte Black, Binderized "EF" | TWSBI 580 with 0.6mm Pendleton Point Butter Line Stub | Waterman 0952 1/2v | Lamy Safari Charcoal "EF" and 1.1mm | Noodler's Konrad Fleur de Lis Blue Tortoise | Pilot Parallel 3.8mm

Got a response from Philip today regarding my TWSBI I sent him. The following is what he said:

I did a little nib adjustment for you and it does not skip or hard

start on any down strokes. I didnt have too much trouble even before

I adjusted it. It was only when I left it uncapped for a while and

went back to test it that it would hard start. It could be the ink

you are using but then again I dont think there is anything wrong with

the ink you mentioned you used.

His experiences with my pen do not align with my own experiences (see photo posted earlier)' date=' but perhaps it just corrected itself somehow during transit. Hopefully when I get the pen back it will be good to go... I will be sure to post an update once that time comes.

I don't believe it had anything to do with the inks that I tried (Noodler's Apache Sunset, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Green/Black). Perhaps, just as others, these pens only need a little bit of a break-in period before they work consistently well. I find that very odd, as I've never had another pen that required such a thing, but oh well. I guess as long as it ends up working, all is well.

[/quote']

So here's what I did that *appears* to have worked . . . keeping the nib perfectly aligned with the paper, I pressed down firmly but carefully several times, really flexing the nib open each time. Now it seems to be flowing better. We'll see if it lasts.

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm using MB Midnight Blue and I have never used this ink in another pen so I thought maybe it was the ink, although I had my doubts. Like someone else said I have to push down a few times on a separate piece of paper to get the ink flowing first and then start writing otherwise it won't lay down any ink. It is as if the tip won't allow the ink to touch the paper until you force a little bit out. I will try pressing down on the paper a bit harder to hopefully open it up a little bit. I have done extensive cleaning btw. Just when you think the problem has somehow resolved itself it starts skipping and not starting again...very inconsistent. But once it starts it flows fairly well...at least for a while...

The flow of ink also seems to dry out a bit after about 3/4 of a page and then the skipping and hard starts really start to get aggravating as it worsens. I will give it another week before contacting anyone but as it is now I do not feel satisfied with the pen (although it is very visually appealing and I love everything else about it).

Maybe I will make a video tonight to demonstrate the problem if I get the chance.

Left the pen overnight. I didn't have much time to try it out but I did try to write my name and it skipped on the initial downstroke. DARN IT. I only filled my pen with Tanzanite a little way so I will be doing a Big Flush in the near future.

By the way, what adjustments did Philip say he did, or did he say? Opening the tines, taking apart the nib and feed and cleaning something out? Anything in detail? I really want to avoid sending the pen back, as I am sure many of us want to avoid that.

Like a lot of you, I was excited about the release of the new 580 and put an order in for a 1.1 stub with Niche Pens here in the UK before it was released. Seeing all the comments about nib problems had me quite worried but I took mine out of the box this morning when it arrived, filled it without flushing it first with Pelikan's Edelstein Tanzanite and the attached image is the result. No skipping, beautiful flow - I couldn't be happier.

post-50815-0-79453300-1364310398.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

You do realize that you are making the rest of us feel persecuted, don't you? I hope you're happy now. :bawl:

Edited by Fabienne

Like a lot of you, I was excited about the release of the new 580 and put an order in for a 1.1 stub with Niche Pens here in the UK before it was released. Seeing all the comments about nib problems had me quite worried but I took mine out of the box this morning when it arrived, filled it without flushing it first with Pelikan's Edelstein Tanzanite and the attached image is the result. No skipping, beautiful flow - I couldn't be happier.

Glad to see that the problem isn't something plaguing all of these pens...that would be a shame and I'm glad its working for you. TWSBI seems like a great company and I have developed some respect from reading/watching reviews of their products - great innovation and customer service at a reasonable price. I realize these pens can be finicky with the slightest variation so I haven't lost respect for the brand but hope I can get this issue resolved eventually.

Ah yes, I have had to "Pendletune" a good share of the TWSBI "Stubs" to make them behave well. It's usually one of 3 things:

1 ~Too smooth to write right

2 ~ slight "baby bottom"

and...

C ~ user learning curve. rolleyes.gif

All of these are correctable; some easier than others.

This link is bound to help: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/242896-confessions-of-a-cozy-man/page__p__2640872__fromsearch__1#entry2640872

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if the nibs in question have a bit of 'baby bottom'. I've only had 1 pen that was 'too smooth', and then only with Waterman's Florida Blue.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I wondered that myself, 79spitfire. I am going to take the pen to the Porkopolis Penners meeting on Saturday and get an expert opinion on that. I do see something which could be "baby bottom" but I am not sure if it's extreme enough to be causing that effect.

What would be the cure for baby bottom? Grinding the curves off with fine fine abrasive paper? I would not want to do that myself.

Edited by Fabienne

I wondered that myself, 79spitfire. I am going to take the pen to the Porkopolis Penners meeting on Saturday and get an expert opinion on that. I do see something which could be "baby bottom" but I am not sure if it's extreme enough to be causing that effect.

What would be the cure for baby bottom? Grinding the curves off with fine fine abrasive paper? I would not want to do that myself.

Yes, and I understand. :)

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I don't mean to rub salt in anyone's wounds but .....

I received my TSWBI 580 with 1.1 mm nib this morning from Goulet Pens. I rinsed the pen 5 or 6 times with warm water (no soap/detergent) and then Inked it with Noodler's Bad Green Gator and crossed my fingers. Well I must be lucky: the pen lays down ink beautifully. I'm not experiencing any skipping or hard starts even after leaving the pen uncapped for a few minutes. I'm very pleased with the 580. I hope those of you with issues will see them resolved in the near future.

François (Frank) P.

Currently inked: Parker 51/Quink Blue-Black; TWSBI 580 1.1mm/Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.