Help! New Twsbi 580 Stub Nib Driving Me Nuts

jhass

My new TWSBI 580 (my first TWSBI) arrived Friday, and I've been trying all weekend to get it to write well. It has a hard start after being unused (capped or uncapped) for even a few seconds. Sometimes between one letter and the next (I write in print, not cursive), it will partially stop flowing, so that the next stroke starts with a "ragged edge." I've cleaned and flushed the pen multiple times, to no avail. The slot between the nibs seems perfect: ever slightly tapered toward the tip, but never touching. I don't have a magnifier to examine the nib more closely.

Having waited eagerly for months for this pen, I'm terribly disappointed. I really wanted to like this pen, but, at present, I can't stand it. I'm hoping I can get some advice from the FPN members. Thanks!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhass

• Fabienne

• sh0ebox

• 79spitfire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the black feed on the underside of the pen centered perfectly with the nib? If not, then push it gently until it is centered and see if that works. If that doesn't help, try contacting TWSBI customer service.

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

Thanks for the suggestion. The feed appears to be perfectly centered. I've emailed TWSBI, and will see what they say (on Monday, I hope). I will also try a different ink.

Have you written with a stub or an italic before? It might be that your pen angle is just a little off.

Otherwise, the nib is probably just a dry writer. There are ways to fix that.

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

What ink? My 1.5 stub in a 540 is a little funky with drier inks. I currently have Noodlers Bad Blue Heron in it which is known to be drier, at least in my experience. Did you try adding a touch (10%) of water to the ink to see if it helped?

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"

I was using Waterman Florida Blue, but I have cleaned that out and will fill with J Herbin tomorrow at the office.

My Mini was like that for a while. I gave it a good cleaning but I think there were residual oils that had to be worked out. Each time I used it, it got a little better, until after a few refills it was working normally. It's fine now and lays down a beautiful wet line.

If it is being sticky you can just forward the ink slightly using the piston. That's my favourite feature of piston pens.

jhass you'll definitely have to keep us updated with what you find out from TWSBI once you hear back! I just got my 580 today (1.1 stub) and I am experiencing the same issues as you. I suspect it will work itself out over time, but would love hearing confirmation from TWSBI themselves :thumbup:

1959 Pelikan 400NN Flexible "F" | Pilot VP Matte Black, Binderized "EF" | TWSBI 580 with 0.6mm Pendleton Point Butter Line Stub | Waterman 0952 1/2v | Lamy Safari Charcoal "EF" and 1.1mm | Noodler's Konrad Fleur de Lis Blue Tortoise | Pilot Parallel 3.8mm

It sounds like there may be something wrong with the stub nibs, although a sample of 2 doesn't prove anything. I will let you know what I hear.

I bought the 580 with a 1.1 stub, too. It arrived today, and I'm experiencing the same issue.

The initial downstroke of any word just *doesn't* come out. It might take three or four attempts to get that stroke, or one slow upward stroke instead. It's a fast enough effect that can affect 1/3 of the words on a line. Sometimes, it just drops out in the middle of a word too.

I'm using Noodler's Navy, which worked wonderfully in my Vac700.

It's entirely possible that I'm using it wrong (I'm new to stub nibs), but it's very frustrating.

I flushed out the Waterman ink last night, dried the pen, and just refilled it with J. Herbin Bleu Pervence. It is working perfectly at the moment. I'll use it today and see how it goes. For now, I am a happy camper.

To add some more anecdata, my 1.1 Stub 580 was a little hard to start at first, but once I got more consistent with the nib angle (this is my first non-F or M pen), it was starting and running great. Private Reserve Midnight Blues ink, various paper (moleskine, cheap printer paper, cheap legal pad)

I did not flush it prior to use - took it out, inked it up, and started writing.

Mitchell Hislop - http://mph.io

Pen Count: Too Many

Me too, just like supermitch365. I used Akkermann Shocking Blue. It's not driving me nuts but I think I am going to use a bit of perfect pen flush next time. I bet that will take care of the problem. It is a downward stroke which skips, and it happens most when I start writing with it (even after a couple of minutes between writing) no problems on the upstroke though.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I have the 1.1 stub as well. It was challenging until I remembered to flush it out. Using Diamine Damson. It can be a bit of a hard start if left unused, but I have no skipping at all - very nice ink flow. It is a bit sharper than other stubs I use and so perhaps more sensitive to angle, but that is my learning, not the nib's fault.

All in all this nib/feed combination feels much better than the earlier versions, and I am glad for the change. Hopefully the pen will be issued with the same amber as the 700 so I can justify another 580 with a fine point.

All things work out in the end. If it is not working out, it is not the end.

I have an older 540 with a stub nib and find it to be essentially useless - it is FAR too dry. Am putting in a regular M nib, and seeing if that works.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.