Appraisal Of Dick Jackson's Copperplate Calligraphy

JDiver

I picked up the book on a whim at a second hand store and was happy to find that it is held in quite high regard here. One thing I wanted to ask was about a sheet of paper that was inside the book. It looked like a newsletter from the publishing company, Collier Books. I've attached a picture (http://i.imgur.com/v37PdxS.jpg), but the text of it is as follows:

Copperplate Calligraphy, by Dick Jackson, is the first book of its kind on one of the most challenging and artistic handwriting systems. To be published by Macmillan on November 1, it is a serious and comprehensive book, not one for beginners in calligraphy.

Rich in history, Copperplate Calligraphy originated in 18-century Europe where the copybooks of calligraphy masters were printed from engraved copper plates. Fortunately, today one doesn't need copper or plates, only pen, ink, paper, enthusiasm - and Copperplate Calligraphy.

Copperplate Calligraphy includes a historical introduction, guide sheets, and facts and suggestions on materials, along with step-by-step instructions for the basic strokes.

As the New York Times recently wrote:

"In the last four or five years, calligraphy has begun to break out beyond the boundaries of cultism. Today there are some thirty calligraphic societies in the US - with one in New York City that has more than 1000 members - and most bookstores now devote ever-lengthening shelves to this personal, creative activity that is on the verge of becoming a national fad."

New York Times Book Review (March 18, 1979)

Dick Jackson has taught calligraphy at the Smithsonian Institution, the Scottsdale Center for the Arts, and at colleges in Virginia and Arizona, and has conducted workshops for calligraphic societies in several cities.

It also has a card saying that the copy is a review copy? Is this something I shouldn't be tearing practice sheets out of?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vidalia11

• JDiver

• kenmc

• gaijin94

Wow! Do I have a treasure it seems! I looked it up on Amazon and see it sells new for $262.69! I think I paid less than five bucks for mine. :thumbup:

Ken McDaniel

<")}}}>><(

Wow! Do I have a treasure it seems! I looked it up on Amazon and see it sells new for $262.69! I think I paid less than five bucks for mine. :thumbup:

So that's the thing, you can regularly get it for cheap (<$10) on various sites (ebay in particular), but I was curious if the note was anything special?

I was really lucky because my mom had it from a calligraphy class she took in the 1970s.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/166782921_39063dcf65_t.jpg

Oops I posted this twice and don't know how to delete it.

Edited by vidalia11
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/166782921_39063dcf65_t.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

As a collector of very old books, I would be inclined to think that you should be looking after the book you have. If the publishing date is the same as is written on the card Then it would be fair to believe that both the card and the letter came with the book. Which would set a rank above other books of the same title. I would be putting it away intact (don't go ripping out any practice sheets !) and maybe even think about getting valued.

Just my opinion, but from a collectors point of view, it has to be worth something special and if it isnt now, it more than likely will be in the future.

Strive to Live with Love and Care,

Upon the Level, by the Square

• 1 year later...

Hi. I realize I'm two years late, but I created an account just to weigh in on this. I used to work in a bookstore, and I know exactly what you have on your hands.

Review copies are sent by the publisher to booksellers (and perhaps critics and other relevant people) to generate interest in the book. We got review copies all the time on every subject (non-fiction) and in every genre (fiction), usually from little-known/unknown authors. It's a form of advertizing: bookstore employees can read the book, and if they like it, will then recommend it to customers. I've gotten some good books (and good CDs!) that way.

Reivew copies usually say what they are on the cover or the copyright page ("uncorrected proof", etc), but I don't know that it's always been that way. There may be information on the copyright page to indicate what edition it is.

Long story short: yes, that is a very special copy you have on your hands. Awesome!

No one has mentioned the content of the book, itself. IMHO this slim volume contains more valuable, high-quality information on how to self-teach this demanding style of writing, than most of the other verbose volumes currently available.

Ken