2013 Edison Morgan Le Group Buy!

204 members have voted

1. 1. What Ebonite Material?

• Mottled Green/Black
    • Mottled Red/Black
    • Briar Swirl
  2. 2. What Acrylic Material?

I'm in, if one I like gets the nod. I chose the briar swirl ebonite and the cappuccino flake acrylic, though I'd be okay with the midnight acrylic if it won. I'm more likely to get the acrylic than ebonite since I get a weird itch on my writing hand if I write with an ebonite pen for too long.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Jimmy James

• GSteer

• crazystan

I voted and am most likely in but may I ask a question? Why was the Morgan chosen? Just curious, this is one of the few Edison models that I have never tried.

I'm in. The poll makes you vote for an acrylic and and ebonite. But I'm only really interested in the ebonite--provided the Limited Edition doesn't match the custom one I had you make 3 years ago. Hence you can really deduct one for neon.

Voted.

That toffee crunch is awesome. Think it just hit the top of my acrylics list if I order a custom one.

And rock on with those stubs Brian, nice going!

Edited by GSteer

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

I'm in. I bought a Herald at the Philly Pen Show two months ago and have enjoyed using it every day since.

My first choices were the Briar Swirl and the Neon, and my backup choices are the Mottled Red/Black and the Toffee Crunch.

I already have a Morgan in red/black ebonite. It is one of my favorite, most comfortable pens! If the briar swirl ebonite wins, I'm definitely in. I love that material and it looks even better in person (my briar swirl Premiere has been inked constantly since it arrived four months ago, and Montblanc Collodi is a perfect match for the beautiful orange streaks), although I have to say that I prefer it with silver trim. I can't resist the pumpkin-y briar swirl! Although that toffee crunch acrylic looks toothsome! I'm really digging that name, too. Toffee crunch acrylic!

Nice offerings. I'm in. i hope we get ebonite. There are not many changes to get that on modern pens.

I have two questions:

* What if there is a tie for the most popular material in each category (ebonite/acrylic)? How will it be resolved?

* Does the minimum of 35 paid pens apply to each category or to both of them combined? If the former, can one switch to the other category if the preferred category does not make it?

Nice offerings. I'm in. i hope we get ebonite. There are not many changes to get that on modern pens.

Phlosar, it's not a case of one or the other, we're getting the option of both an ebonite and an acrylic

A. I have started a poll within this thread regarding materials choices, both ebonite and acrylic. The materials with the highest number of votes will be used on the pens

Last year we had the option of one of each type too, I went for the ebonite then for the same reason you just mentioned, not many chances to find it on modern pens.

Edited by GSteer

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

So wow, when I voted Briar Swirl was dead last, now it's blazing ahead. Are you folks trying to get me to part with my cash!

That said, depending on how long this goes on for, it looks like I'm getting another Edison ebonite pen!

I live in Singapore. Would shipping be an issue?

Nope, no problem with international orders.

Great! I'm in! Thanks!

I voted and am most likely in but may I ask a question? Why was the Morgan chosen? Just curious, this is one of the few Edison models that I have never tried.

I received a lot of feedback that this would be a good choice. Also, the Morgan has never been offered in a group buy or discount format up until now.

I have two questions:

* What if there is a tie for the most popular material in each category (ebonite/acrylic)? How will it be resolved?

* Does the minimum of 35 paid pens apply to each category or to both of them combined? If the former, can one switch to the other category if the preferred category does not make it?

* Honestly, I'm not sure. We'll figure it out!

* 35 minimum applies to ebonite and acrylic combined. Last year, we sold well over 100, so I doubt that this will be an issue. I almost didn't even mention 35 pens this year.

Brian,

How long do you plan on leaving the materials poll up before you move on to the ordering phase?

Kevin

Brian,

How long do you plan on leaving the materials poll up before you move on to the ordering phase?

Probably a week. Or if there is a real clear choice in only 3-4 days, then I see no reason to not get things rolling.

I think a fixed deadline could be a idea to consider Brian, as last year, when it was obvious that the materials some of us had voted for had no chance of winning, we changed votes.

The ebonite looks like there is a clear favourite but the acrylics are currently split, and a change of vote may affect it. If we don't know when the deadline is we might not have the opportunity to change to our other preference.

Edited by GSteer

Brian,

Probably a week. Or if there is a real clear choice in only 3-4 days, then I see no reason to not get things rolling.

I think a fixed deadline could be a idea to consider Brian, as last year, when it was obvious that the materials some of us had voted for had no chance of winning, we changed votes.

The ebonite looks like there is a clear favourite but the acrylics are currently split, and a change of vote may affect it. If we don't know when the deadline is we might not have the opportunity to change to our other preference.

Good point. Let's say Monday morning, 9:00 AM EST, we'll close the vote. I think that's plenty of time.

I have a question about the shape of the Morgan grip:

• Depth of the step or the difference in diameter between the body and the small flat area between the step and the threads.
  • Length of the grip from the step to the edge of the grip.

Alternatively, how does it compare to the Pearl in this area. They both are 0.61" in diameter at the body. Are the two grips the same dimensions?

My reason for asking, the depth of the step and the length of the grip on the Pearl are not ideal for my hands - my thumb rests on the "drop off" on this pen.

I like that the Morgan is longer than the Pearl (which is a bit on the short side for my hands).

Thanks!!

Greg

Edited by liverman

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado