Allan's Bibles Journal

Bigeddie

I first read about Allan's Journals on Biffybeans blog, with a review linked from our very own review index. At the time I was looking for a journal, and choosing between the Design.y LP Record and the Allan. In the end I went for the Allan, thinking if it's cr*p I'll buy the record. I have stuck with it, and love it dearly. I should mention that I bought my first one with some reluctance, for various reasons I don't 'do' religion (although I am all for people believing what ever they would like to believe :) no offence intended!). I should also say that I try to write in it every day, in reality that is now probably every 2-3 days with the occasional gap.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8500668593_8395068608_c.jpg

IMG_2067 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The journal I ordered is described as the pocket journal, in reality it is much bigger than pocket size, the paper is a little bigger than A6 and the book another centimetre or so more in each dimension. It feels bigger, I was surprised when I came to measure it having used it for more than a year. A larger size is available.

From Bibles-Direct:

Page size: 6 1/8" x 4 1/2" : 3/8" ( 155 x 115mm)

Weight: 185g

256 pages

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8506/8501778796_5e308e9642_c.jpg

IMG_2076 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

(on Rhodia-R A5 staplebound pad)

The cover is made of 'highland' goatskin, it is flexible and thin leather, but enough to be stiff. it feels high quality, and has not marked or warn over the (nearly) year that I have used it. It feels like it will last a lifetime. The 'JOURNAL' on the front is not to my taste, but it doesn't bother me any more, it is what it is. Some of the other colours are in other materials, including pigskin (tan) and calfskin (crimson)

Beneath the cover there are 3 different flysheets (the difference is unknown to me) before the first page. The paper edges is died red, before gilding with gold leaf. Where I have used the journal, the gold leaf on the filled pages has worn a little, but not unacceptably.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8500671025_eb8b3764fb_c.jpg

IMG_2068 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8241/8500670753_e37fdc3ee0_c.jpg

IMG_2069 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The paper is fantastic, let me start by saying I have never been a big fan of 'thick' nibs. I tend to use fine-medium nibs or fine italics. I have tested a range of inks, probably more than 30 ink-pen combinations, and have yet to find one which feathers or bleeds. That said there is a lot of show through, once you have writing on both sides of the page this is not a problem that affects the legibility of what is written. The paper is very thin, I would estimate it at around 50g/sm, it is also hard, but seems uncoated. This leads to some very nice shading. The rules are also narrow, 35 to a sheet at about 4mm each. This won't be to everyone's taste, but it does mean you get a lot to a page.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8104/8500669881_3e0e692057_c.jpg

IMG_2070 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

(Test page front)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8092/8500670013_6d3e5ec178_c.jpg

IMG_2071 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

(Test page reverse)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8501774558_7b0d7efb4b_c.jpg

IMG_2074 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

(entry showing text on both sides, text in MB Jonathan Swift ink with a Pelikan M400 Binder 0.4mm stub - "Yesturday"... B*llocks)

I like them, and can highly recommend them. I have a couple of spare black journals and recently a 'crimson' red one, the price went up last year from £22 to £25 which I think is still very reasonable for such a high quality journal. I would highly encourage people to try them for a journal so long as they are fine nib people rather than broad nib people. They are available from www.bibles-direct.co.uk and I believe that their prices include worldwide shipping. (Usual no affiliation disclaimers!)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8513/8500667627_bed875a099_c.jpg

IMG_2075 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Please do post if you have one, and what your impressions are.

Ed

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strombomboli

• The Good Captain

• torstar

• mirosc

I have had one for a number of years and haven't been able to bring myself to use it for a number of reasons.

Originally these were produced with Alan's Journal written on the front. Who was Alan? I never did find out, but I resisted buying one because of that. Then I heard that Alan had been dropped and there was just Journal written on the front. I gave in and bought one. If I remember rightly the postage was "free". I had spent a long time deciding as I don't do religion either. Each to their own, but it is not a crutch that I need.

On opening the package the Journal was obviously a qualty item leagues above moleskine notebooks. The line spacing was a downer for me though. My writing takes up nearly two lines with the medium to broad nibs that I use. I was concerned about bleed through due to the thinness of the paper so I didn't even get as far as using it.

Some months later I was due to be visiting Scotland and would be close to where the journals were shipped from. I had decided that I should bite the bullet and use these as my main journalling tool. At that stage I was writing two pages of a pocket moleskine notebook per day. I contacted the company and said that I would be in town in a few days and asked if I could pick some up. That wasn't a problem. I asked if the price would be discounted as they wouldn't be paying for the "free" shipping, but was told that this wasn't possible however apparently I wouldn't leave unhappy. It seemed a strange thing to say, a little creepy, and I felt a little uncomfortable with it so passed up on the opportunity and my collection has never grown.

I am still unsure of why this needs the word Journal on the front. If that had been dropped I may have been keener to buy more. I like things plain and unadorned. If anyone should visit who is a fellow stationery fetishist I always show them my collection and this one always draws the highest praise. Perhaps one day I will start to use mine, but if I do it will probably be written in with a nice Tombow 100 mono pencil.

In the end I carried on using four moleskines (or clones) per year to keep my journal up to date.

A quality product with a few oddities, but if you appreciate things like gilded page edges and can manage the narrow line spacing then this may be for you.

[...]

Originally these were produced with Alan's Journal written on the front. Who was Alan? I never did find out, but I resisted buying one because of that. Then I heard that Alan had been dropped and there was just Journal written on the front.

[...]

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your thoughts; it was touch and go as to whether I was going to buy one, somewhat good to know that I wasn't being odd (or if I was, I was in good company).

I hadn't seen the 'Allan's Journal' embossed ones, although I know that they have changed though various incarnations. Supposedly there was one which was blank, and priced around £10-12 at one point, which seems superb value if it was anything like these.

'Allan's' refers to the family copany of bible makers, from the website:

"Robert L. Allan first opened his Bible offices at 75 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland, in 1863. The Allan shop remained in Sauchiehall Street for almost a century until 1959.

Today Allan's is still a family-owned publishing business based in Glasgow, where we specialize in producing the highest quality leather Bibles, and selling them direct to the reader...."

I can't think that a journal with 'Allan's Journal' on would have widespread appeal! Tombow Mono 100's on the other hand...

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I appreciate your review. I thought about them for awhile. Admittedly I was interested in their very fine leather bibles -- which are considered some of the best in the word. I heard about the journals and saw some buzz on the FPN forums but they seemed not to hold up well enough to wet nibs and saturated, wet inks. Maybe I'll give them another thought...

• 3 months later...

After having read so many good things about these journals here, I had to have one. After all, this journal looks like my little pocket calendar which is also leather bound and has gilt edging. The journal's paper, though, is much better, as I found out in the meantime. As thin as it is, it's heavy duty paper.

When I got my journal, I had to think very hard what I should actually do with it. In the end, I decided to make it my diary when travelling. I finally travelled a little bit last weekend and thus had the first chance to test it. Everything is like you described it. I loved it! So much so, that I decided to not use anything else in the future, i.e., also when not travelling.

Since I have very large handwriting (think John Hancock), the small lines, of course, are a problem, but I can ignore them like I can ignore the lines on squared paper.

I like things which are made to last. And I like gilt edges. I like coloured edges in general, and since this journal offers both, gold AND colour, I couldn't ask for more. I also like books bound in leather. Ah, I can't tell you how much I like this thing!

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

I have not started writing in my one yet - got a project that is going to take 12 of them eventually - but I didi write on some test pages they sent me.
As I was not sure whether I was going to do Italic or Spencerian, I tried various pens and inks - final decision is for a dip nib with Diamine Registrars.
Yes, there is some show through but no bleed or feather even when doing swells. I am also using a mapping nib which is pretty pointed but, it does not snag on this paper which is very smooth.

Highly recommended!

(Nice review BigEddie, but I really do not understand the snide remarks about religion by both you and AndyHayes, in fact I find them offensive, especially AndyHayes comment - this is not a Bible, it is a blank notebook with the only link to Bibles or religion is that it uses the same paper so I can not understand why the comments had to be introduced!)

(Nice review BigEddie, but I really do not understand the snide remarks about religion by both you and AndyHayes, in fact I find them offensive, especially AndyHayes comment - this is not a Bible, it is a blank notebook with the only link to Bibles or religion is that it uses the same paper so I can not understand why the comments had to be introduced!)

These are, unfortunately, times when religion is very high on the agenda; I can understand that non-religious people are afraid of offending anyone, because religiously offended people often react quite unpleasantly, since religions are something not to be argued with--religions, not believers. One should be able to argue with people, though, but how can you: either you believe, or you don't, there is no room for anything else, and anything which can be interpreted as doubt, can serve as an offence if you are prepared for interpreting any hint of doubt as a mockery. I am not happy at all that religion plays such a prominent role nowadays, more than 200 years after the enlightenment.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Don't think the comments are intended to be snide; I have reservations about giving money to a company that uses it to make products I find distasteful or abhorrent. The consumer in me might do it anyway, but it's only natural that there'd be some reluctance among us heathens.

The Christian (I'm guessing) god told me my patronage wasn't necessary anyway when my bottle of ESSRI constantly dropped precipitate.

Robert.

Being from the US I don't find these as offensive, but rather an opportunity to engage if we were in a forum that allowed engagement. I wonder If this is a cultural European/US thing, as I notice the countries of origin of the posts.

The Christian (I'm guessing) god told me my patronage wasn't necessary anyway when my bottle of ESSRI constantly dropped precipitate.

Love the cap in "Christian" and not "god" - a bit conflicted? No I'm not serious, but keep an eye on the rest of your inks.

These are, unfortunately, times when religion is very high on the agenda; I can understand that non-religious people are afraid of offending anyone...

Must be different in Germany than the US: no fear of offence here in the comments about religion.

gary

Must be different in Germany than the US: no fear of offence here in the comments about religion.

We are extremely sensitive about offending anyone; this is what we learned from history (from the part of history we most prominently marked). Also, our muslim sisters and brothers (of Turkish and Arab origin) are many here (especially in the part of the city where I live), and they jump at anything.

Interesting, though, that you think, in the US people wouldn't react like that. From what we hear, we'd think that (the christian) religion is omnipresent in the US. But I haven't been there for a long time, so I couldn't tell.

Iris

I have reservations about giving money to a company that uses it to make products I find distasteful or abhorrent.

That's an interesting point. Usually, I don't support ideological businesses, but in this case, I completely forgot about that. Maybe, because they act openly. They don't sell clothes, for example, to fund some sect, but happily publish their bibles and offer the journals only as a sort of by-product.

Iris

I am still unsure of why this needs the word Journal on the front.

They are made in the same style as the bibles and for the purpose of journalling your bible studies. If you have a bible and a journal with the same cover it's nice to see at once which is which, one has "Holy Bible" and the other "Journal", otherwise both are looking almost identical.

For me it's a plus, rather adding to the journal than being a disadvantage.

After all their business idea is to produce only bibles and bible-related products (even more: only related to their own line of bible production), they don't care for any other market niche. And given their ongoing success they even don't need to.

I'm quite happy with my journal as it is. I use it for journalling my music duties and have never been disappointed by it.

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

The link to the bibles is appreciated. These bibles are they locally available in Toronto area Torstar?

PM me please if you have local seller details thank you.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

They are made in the same style as the bibles and for the purpose of journalling your bible studies.

Thank you for making sense. Now I understand, why they produce these journals at all.

Iris

The link to the bibles is appreciated. These bibles are they locally available in Toronto area Torstar?

PM me please if you have local seller details thank you.

I have purchased Cambridge Editions locally. PM for details.

Allan's are brought in from the US.

Let me begin by saying that I have checked the forum rules carefully, and so long as this is not an 'overtly religious' thread I don't see that there is a problem in discussing my reasons and reservation for buying a journal.

I should mention that I bought my first one with some reluctance, for various reasons I don't 'do' religion (although I am all for people believing what ever they would like to believe, no offence intended!).

I phrased my comment very carefully to avoid offending people (nor was it intended to be "snide"). In my post I do not (and will not) go into my reasons for my lack of belief, at the same time I say that I am not intending to offend anyone, and that I think that people should be able to believe - or not believe - whatever they choose. However, offence has been taken and I feel that I should respond.

The comment that I made in my review was intended to reflect on my purchase decision, where I was initially reluctant to purchase something associated with a religion. I would agree that this is a notebook, but I may not choose to buy a product from a company which is associated with actions to which I do not agree, (as an example tax avoidance, recently Starbucks, Apple or Google in the UK); so I might not choose to buy a product from a company associated with other things with which I do not agree. Other people's weighing of those acts might be different, opinions are necessarily subjective.

The comment was made to aid others who might be of non-Christian faiths, or no faith, who might be making the same considerations that I found my self making when purchasing a product from an overtly religious (see their blog) company. I had hoped to demonstrate in sharing my experience and overcoming that reluctance I was able to enjoy a lovely product. I am sorry if you feel offended Stompie, but I cannot help that, my comments were not intended to be offensive.

I am not afraid of stating my opinion on matters that relate to how I feel about religion, and I am sorry if this opinion causes offence, but that won't stop me for saying it. The idea that someone without a belief should not be granted the right of making statements about that which they do or do not believe, which those with a belief freely exercise, almost perfectly meets the definition of discrimination. That said, I have tried to drain my comments of my views about belief of anything controversial because this is a forum about fountain pens and related topics, I have deliberately framed my comments to avoid people taking offence, and I would ask that others proceed likewise.

Edited by Bigeddie

don't worry about it bigeddie, BIbles are the most likely common commodity in our world that use upper echelon print and paper. The Allan longprimer is the best of the best (to me)

Thanks for your response and I am sorry if others took the thread off topic for a bit there, as I previously said, it is a good review.

Your comment isn't offensive BigEddie, unlike AndyHayes with his insinuation that religious people need crutches, but I just failed to see the need for it, but no problem and whilst I acknowledge your apology, it really is not necessary for you to apologise as your comment did not offend but just puzzled me :) but now I understand why you made it, Cheers!