• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pterodactylus

• CloaknDagr

• Sinistral1

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just bought an unknown Waterman on eBay (item 321213451030) with what looks to be a gold nib for $15. It doesn't know it, but when it gets to my house, if the pen is unusable, the nib will be my gold nib guinea pig! I will definitely post pictures of my modified nibs as well as writing samples, no matter how they turn out.

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Over time, I have heard many comments about the Noodler pens - specifically the Ahab and the Konrad. Like many new products, when first introduced many people expressed lots of issues with the pen, nib and feed qualities. even now, there are people who have expressed very strong reactions to using the Ahab and Konrad pens with the "flex" nibs.

About a year or so after Noodler introduced those models I dipped my toe into the the Noodler Pen experience. Since then, my Noodler pens have grown to eleven (4 Ahab, 5 Konrad and 2 Creeper). Perhaps I am simply positively regarded by the pen dieties because all my Noodler pens have worked well directly out of the box.

When it comes to customer comments about products and services, it is generally considered typical that for every 10 complaint expressed that only one or two positive comments will be posted/communicated. Marketing research has documented that by far the majority of product/service users who are happy and satified with their experience feel no interest or obligation to communicate the positive experience unless they are asked directly. Meanwhile people who are dissatified are much more willing and desirous of sharing their negative experiences.

Keep in mind that regardless of what someone else writes, based on their experiences, YMMV - Your mileage (experience) may vary. Somehow, with all of the places that now sell Noodler pens in whatever quantities, the experiences must be pretty positive for them to be sold for as long as they have been.

Please Note: No Affiliation - simply a lot or respect for what Nathan and Noodler has done to build the pen and ink business and contribute to the fountain pens and hobbiest enjoyment.

Edited by brgmarketing

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Please Note: No Affiliation - simply a lot or respect for what Nathan and Noodler has done to build the pen and ink business and contribute to the fountain pens and hobbiest enjoyment.

Same here - checking permanent inks around, there are a few beside Noodler's, my appreciations goes to him. I guess he is old and he took the precautions to survive his name&inks forever.

One thing about Ahabs though, I made one of the Ahabs almost full flex and after flexing when I remove pressure ink flow doesn't' return to normal flow for a while, even I remove the pressure, it keeps writing very thick/juicy lines in normal position and ink flow returns to normal after - I believe when feed finishes the ink supply it sucked from the converter. Well I have to make that a video to show you, its hard to explain with only words.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

(Noodler´s Ahab EMF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Salix)

Thanks much, indeed I was using wettest inks or I was adding dishwasher detergent to others, I'll try a normal flowing ink too.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

gr8 Mod idea, Pterodactylus!!

Has anyone tried this on the FPR flex nib? If so, would like to hear from them before I fidget with mine.

Though from the other post https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/246808-noodlers-ahab-flex-modification/

I grind the nib on the sand paper, writes a little finer now but have started to cut the paper. I so want to ground it further to make it even more finer.

I would love to try this with my konrad nib and feed. I'm afraid I don't have the tools for it though :(

May your ways be green and golden, and the wind be at your back.

Ptero:

I was just telling my neighbor that using a flexy fountain pen is like feeding my soul a really healthy and delicious meal. Your use of the modified Ahab makes me suspect that you're enjoying a mid-meal snack or perhaps a savory appetizer! I'm still waiting for the time to use my borrowed dremel on one of my own Ahabs.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Dear Ptero, thank you for your mod suggestion!

It was a bit of a struggle as my dremmel wouldn't charge so I couldn't quite file it down as far as I might have done but I have to say... incredibly, this modification seems to have sorted all my problems!! I had flow issues too with this pen where it would write for one sentence and then dry up. But now it all seems to work fine: flow's good, nice line variety, easier flex and a nice-looking pen!

I'm happy.

post-107306-0-41008000-1381829397.jpg

Callique:

What a beautiful pen, combined with a beautiful hand - it's magic!

So I finally got around to doing this mod, the flex is great, really a massive improvement.

I still can't get the feed setup quite right though. I ended up opening all the fins to the central channel (which i deepened a LOT) and there still isn't enough ink. It's worth mentioning that even before any modifications this pen didn't work. I flushed the whole thing many times to get rid of any oils or crud. I don't really know what else to do to the feed, the way it stands the pen works for a good line or two after being dipped. So I guess i'll just use it as a dipper for now.

Huge thanks for this thread though, it's a lovely nib to write with now.

Sorry the pictures are a bit lame, but i couldn't get my camera to focus on the nib very well.

post-106510-0-50562400-1382352127_thumb.jpg

post-106510-0-02620100-1382352143_thumb.jpg