Homemade Traveller's Notebook

Ted A

I've been thinking about getting a Midori traveller's notebook for a while now, and when the Goulet's started carrying them I was ready to buy. But by the time I got home they were out of the brown.

I had also been considering trying to make my own anyway, so with the excitement from watching Brian Goulet's introduction, but with them out of stock, I headed for Tandy Leather last Saturday.

I got a small shoulder piece of leather, which is a good thickness, from Tandy and some elastic from JoAnn Fabric.

I've been using the Scription Chronodex calendar for several months.

fpn_1361040538__tn5.png

It was designed to fit the Midori standard size so I used that for measuring and cutting to size.

fpn_1361040414__tn0.png

I already had some leather dye so after cutting it to the size I wanted, I dyed it.

I used an emerald green on the inside.

On the outside I put on a first coat of green and then a dark brown over it. I think it gives it a kind of bronze patina-like tone.

fpn_1361040487__tn3.png

I looped the elastic in from the bottom, up to the top and back down so I have 2 elastics to hold in my fillers. And a couple of cords for bookmarkers.

fpn_1361040514__tn4.png

I used a file folder to fold up and create a couple of pockets.

fpn_1361040571__tn7.png

And then put together a note taking booklet as well.

fpn_1361037424__tn6.png

So right now I have the calendar, the notebook and the file folder in there.

fpn_1361040612__tn8.png

I also made a cover for my Field Notes sized notebooks. It's close, but I think a little bit different in size from the Midori passport size.

fpn_1361037352__tn_1.png

fpn_1361040637__tn9.png

I haven't decided on a final closure system. Right now I have a large rubber band that works well side-to-side when doubled over, but also fits top to bottom. One advantage to making it myself is that I can try different configurations to see which I like.

Edited by Ted A
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ted A

• abstract49

• fountainpagan

• Hooker56

I love it!

The dual elastics on the back... How do those go? I THINK I see how you did it so there isn't an elastic running down the outside back? Instead just the two short parts of hte loop at top and bottom? I could do this easily... Anyone know of a reputable leather supplier online?

Seems to be tons of leather online, but in HUGE quantities. Like whole cow hides. :\ Finding small pieces, not so easy it seems. If someone has a suggestion I'd love it.

Edited by tandaina

Check on Tandy Leather. They have several stores in Texas so maybe not too far. You could probably call and get some advice of what they have.

Very nice

I like ...

I like the way you dyed the green then the brown.

Is there another pic of the cover?

Can't really see the true Colour in the reflections

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Nice work, well done.

A very unique traveller's notebook in a great colour - way more personalised than if you had bought it. Simple but clever construction.

Thanks for sharing.

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately Texas is HUGE. Nearest store is 2 hours away from us. I'll keep looking!

Tandy is, or used to be, based in Fort Worth. I would think they would have an internet presence (I haven't checked, obviously). You ought to be able to order online or by telephone, in relatively small quantities. Many years ago, their main business was for the benefit of hobbyist leathercrafters; hopefully, they have not abandoned that niche market.

Unfortunately Texas is HUGE. Nearest store is 2 hours away from us. I'll keep looking!

BTW, I live in Waco, too. Frustrating that a city of this size has no decent resources for FP writers. Do you know any other enthusiasts in the area?

Thanks for the link Ted any chance of a more recent picture?

Did you settle on a closure method could you tell me more about your refills.

Thanks

Michael

I'll have to pull some pictures together.

For the closure, I went with elastic wrapping around the middle but anchored through the spine. I liked the rubber band, I could close the notebook either horizontally or vertically and could get it out of the way when I opened the notebook, but the rubber band didn't even last 2 months before it snapped.

Check out http://www.mylifeallinoneplace.com/ for tons of free templates for Midori inserts and also other sizes.

The owner of the blog, Ray Blake, also has instructions on how to bind the booklets.

And if you look for him and Midori on youtube, he has a detailled video including all the measurements on how to make your own cover. Highly recommend watching it if you are interested in DIY.

One really nice thing about Ray is that he gives you both a ready to print PDF and a Word doc that you can edit. As I think I said elsewhere, US letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11 inch), when folded along the vertical axis will give you a booklet that needs the bottom 2 1/2 inches cut off and is only 2 mm narrower than a standard TN book.

Here are some more recent pictures.

I've made a 2nd in brown along with the green.

fpn_1390800714__tn_8678.jpg

The first I did, green. For both I decided to put elastic out the spine and around the TN

fpn_1390801001__tn_8681.jpg

For this one, I have 4 strings for adding inserts, though I generally don't use the small one in the middle, only 3.

fpn_1390801205__tn_8688.jpg

And that can get fairly thick.

fpn_1390801306__tn_8682.jpg

fpn_1390801386__tn_8690.jpg

does the elastic bands not make the spine thicker, and it doesn’t affect your writing near the gutter?
i love the midori notebooks too and its convenience, but i keep imagine the thick cords getting in the way of having a flat writing surface…

———calligraphy———fountain pens———paper———books———typography———colours———conservation———

instagram//femoz//skype//fuzzyarse

I love , love, love. Both of them.

Congratulations.

The leather you chose is really beautilly because it looks a little used (patiné, as they say in France).

If you ever think about making 1 or 2 for selling, count me in , please.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

does the elastic bands not make the spine thicker, and it doesn’t affect your writing near the gutter?

i love the midori notebooks too and its convenience, but i keep imagine the thick cords getting in the way of having a flat writing surface…

I don't notice it at all. It is less than 2mm thick. The knot on the inside gets lost between the spines of the inserts so it doesn't have an effect either.

I love , love, love. Both of them.

Congratulations.

The leather you chose is really beautilly because it looks a little used (patiné, as they say in France).

If you ever think about making 1 or 2 for selling, count me in , please.

The green one particularly was made with a bit thinner leather that was sort of wrinkled. I did a first dye layer of a dark brown and then did the green over it. I'm quite pleased with it.

I'll keep you in mind if I should decide to make some for sale.

• 3 weeks later...

They are beautiful and well made.

Congratulations!

find out more at:

Signature

"Other instruments write for us, the fountain pen writes with us"