Fake 146

Freerangemora

Hello I recently bought a mb 146 from amazon. It was bought through one of their sellers (discountshop). But I am a little worried it might be a fake. It was shipped from Hong Kong, and having lived in China I know almost anything is faked. The gold plated ring has a serial number but no " Germany" on it. Germany and "pix" are found on the underside of the clip. Also, the piston filler when it is brought forward is a clear white plastic. The nib sticker was put on slightly sideways as well. The middle band at the end of the cap has " montblanc" and "meisterstuck" as we'll as "pix" engraved on it, but no "146". It is, if it is real, a new pen. Does anyone know if this sounds legit.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakmanNZ

• orfew

• Freerangemora

• osnofian

Sounds legit enough to me... but it can also be totally fake, I can't say without seeing it, but nothing in your description sounds particularly wrong to me.

I have seen loads of fakes on various forums...I am yet to see a fake montblanc piston filler,may be because they are complicated to make or they may not be cost effective. so in my opinion the chances of it being a fake are slim.

anyways no need to get tensed if you have already paid...just wait for the pen to arrive and get it authenticated at a showroom.

regards

vikram

Picture would help a lot. That being said, the nib sticker being misaligned is no big deal. The plunger is plastic in the newer 146's. The pix under the clip is a good sign. I've also not seen any fake piston fillers.

Take a picture and I'm sure we can rest your mind at ease!

mason

Well I think that I can say that the pen is legit. I looked at the nib rather carefully with a magnifying glas. (Sorry if there are no pics, i only have an ipad camera.. not big on photography) and it does not look like any of the fake nib pictures I have seen on the Internet. The details are too fine, but I would say he clincher is the fact that the pen is quite light, feels great in my hand, and writes like a charm (much smoother than my other fountain pens, including Watermans i bought when in France, pens which I know are authentic). Glad to be in the 146 le Grand club! Now... What next. This forum is a little too addictive

If it's a piston filler, with a window in the barrel and you twist the end cone to fill and empty it, then rest assured it will be authentic.

The Chinese copies are fat pens that are converter fillers

I own a very similar pen to the one you are describing. I paid $27usd for it on ebay. I own and authentic one from a MB store and wanted to know once and for all how good these fakes are. They are now very good but there are a few subtle differences which you can see when comparing the two side by side.

Both pen caps show up as a red resin when you shine a light in them.

Both have pix under the clip.

Both have a legit looking serial number except the fake number has a slightly larger font. If you can read it fine without magnification it may be a sign.

Both have nibs that look legit except the fake is slightly off to the left and the nib and black part underneath do not quite line up. Shoddy workmanship there.

The writing on the fake one around the thick gold band at the bottom of the cap is larger than the real one.

The tension of the clip on the fake one is very firm and has little give compared to the authentic pen.

The filling tube inside is less efficient and draws part of the tube compared with the original which maximises 95% of the tube with ink.

I must say it is a very very good fake pen and would be very hard to spot.

One more thing I just noticed is the band on the cap with the writing on it looks different.

The real one has a strip of writing of 2mm in height the fake has 2.5mm in height.

Hope this helped some. I will endeavour to get some close up photos to show everyone to illustrate just how good these fakes are.

They just need to get them to write better.

Edited by OakmanNZ

Oh and the fake has a twisting piston filler also but it is not like the genuine Mont Blanc piston filler. It is a half sized filler which you have to unscrew the pen to use. Now I look at it the fake one looks more rose gold than gold.

Edited by OakmanNZ

I hate to say it but I own the exact pen you are describing. I paid $27usd for it on ebay. I own and authentic one from a MB store and wanted to know once and for all how good these fakes are. They are now very good but there are a few subtle differences which you can see when comparing the two side by side.

Both have a legit looking serial number except the fake number has a slightly larger font. If you can read it fine without magnification it may be a sign.

Both have nibs that look legit except the fake is slightly off to the left and the nib and black part underneath do not quite line up. Shoddy workmanship there.

The writing on the fake one around the thick gold band at the bottom of the cap is larger than the real one.

The tension of the clip on the fake one is very firm and has little give compared to the authentic pen.

The filling tube inside is less efficient and draws part of the tube compared with the original which maximises 95% of the tube with ink.

One more thing I just noticed is the band on the cap with the writing on it looks different.

The real one has a strip of writing of 2mm in height the fake has 2.5mm in height.

Hope this helped some. I will endeavour to get some close up photos to show everyone to illustrate just how good these fakes are.

I want to see the pictures you mention. I do not think the pen you are describing is a fake . You will have to convince me as I have never seen a fake 146. All of the things you describe could just be variations between two pens of different ages.

1. The misalignment of the nib is possible on a real 146.

2. The style of writing on the capband has changed over time.

3. The clips may be different but that does not make the pen fake

4. The pen with the filling problem may need a good clean

Now, it could be you have found the only 146 I know of that is a fake, but I will need much more evidence. Looking forward to the pictures.

Edited by orfew

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Here you go. Let me know your thoughts. All items in the photo are the fake pen unless otherwise stated. I am amazed at the quality of the fake.

post-97198-0-97482600-1360978202.jpg

post-97198-0-59208000-1360978238.jpg

post-97198-0-74916000-1360978255.jpg

post-97198-0-83908800-1360978281.jpg

post-97198-0-32575500-1360978300.jpg

post-97198-0-25604800-1360978449.png

I hate to say it but I own the exact pen you are describing. I paid $27usd for it on ebay. I own and authentic one from a MB store and wanted to know once and for all how good these fakes are. They are now very good but there are a few subtle differences which you can see when comparing the two side by side.

I want to see the pictures you mention. I do not think the pen you are describing is a fake . You will have to convince me as I have never seen a fake 146. All of the things you describe could just be variations between two pens of different ages.

1. The misalignment of the nib is possible on a real 146.

2. The style of writing on the capband has changed over time.

3. The clips may be different but that does not make the pen fake

4. The pen with the filling problem may need a good clean

Now, it could be you have found the only 146 I know of that is a fake, but I will need much more evidence. Looking forward to the pictures.

I edited my previous post a bit as I had some incorrect statements in it. I am not trying to freak you out. Yours actually sounds legit the more I study this fake. But it is interesting how good the fakes are getting. The filling device is a sure giveaway.

Edited by OakmanNZ

Oh, and also, you should see the box it came in. Very poor quality so I would say this is a good way of determining the fakes. Also the booklet had poor printing on some pages where the ink had not fully printed words.

All in all I would say that if someone wanted to boost their image at work and didn't mind owning a fake and lying about it then one of these may very well work for the non discerning onlooker.

post-97198-0-20685400-1360980091.png

Edited by OakmanNZ

First, the pens you are showing are supposed to be 144s and not 146s. The 144 is a c/c pen (cartridge/converter), the 146 is a piston filler. The OP was describing a 146 and not a 144. Piston fillers are not easy to copy and this is why I was skeptical of your post.

There are fake c/c Montblanc pens including the 144 and the slightly larger 145. I will have to look at your pictures more carefully but you might indeed have a fake 144.

First, the pens you are showing are supposed to be 144s and not 146s. The 144 is a c/c pen (cartridge/converter), the 146 is a piston filler. The OP was describing a 146 and not a 144. Piston fillers are not easy to copy and this is why I was skeptical of your post.

There are fake c/c Montblanc pens including the 144 and the slightly larger 145. I will have to look at your pictures more carefully but you might indeed have a fake 144.

Ooops, you are indeed correct. Why was I getting 146 and 144 mixed up?

Apologies.

It sure is fake though. Hard to tell at a glance but some differences as I pointed out when compared to the one i purchased from the Mont Blanc store in Auckland.

Looking at your pics has reassured me about my 146. The workmanship does not look as bad as the one on the fake you are showing, and the booklet is exactly similar to another Mb booklet I just got when I purchased a Boheme. Plus, the more I look at the nib with a magnifying lass, the more it looks authentic... And darn impressive to boot. Also the star on the box for the pen I received resembles the real version you show, whereas the fake looks rather shoddy.

A lot of the reviews for the mb 146 fountain pen on Amazon say they got a fake pen...

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

A lot of the reviews for the mb 146 fountain pen on Amazon say they got a fake pen...

Do you have a link? I checked amazon and found 4 reviews, none of which mention receiving a fake 146. Again, I would like to see some pictures of a faker 146 as I have never seen one. Many people have claimed that they have seen one but I have seen no evidence.