Cs Belliver Issue

arran

I'm amazed at the number of these threads about problems with modern CS pens.

They seem quite expensive for what they are: mostly plastic pens with c/c filling and gold nibs, and some cost $400-$600! For that much money, there really shouldn't be so many problems.

That really says it all in a nutshell.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mary Burke

• RMN

• arran

• SignalboxCat

Hi folks ,

I bought a new belliver fountainpen C/C for my wife a few weeks ago.

Just a fine writer.It was initially filled with Diamine Majestic blue. What a fine color!

She uses the pen at her work and writes discontinuously. When the pen is not in use , the pen is capped.

Now it seems that , while the converter is still 2/3 filled , the pen just stops writing.

Just unscrewing the CC , all works again. A flush of water on the nib works also.

Should i bring the pen back to the shop ?

After the diamine , I used the Iro Kon peki , with same issues.

Thanks for help

Hi arran,

I've had a couple of days now to put my new Belliver through several rounds of ink, and here is what I've found thus far; its first fill was Diamine Florida Blue and I did not notice any problems. Second fill was Diamine Majestic Purple, again, no issues. My third fill was Waterman Florida Blue, and here is where I had problems. The pen wrote very well, with a wet line, but after just a short time, with the pen capped and not in use, an issue began which I have never had, either with this particular ink or any of my other pens. I opened the pen to have a write, and noticed that there was a big blob of ink on the top side of the nib. A rather large blob, enough so that I went and flushed the ink immediately. Also found that ink was inside the cap, so cleaned that as well. I think it may have been a combination of a very "wet" ink and maybe the feed portion of the pen, as I could see ink welled up between some of the teeth (the underside) of the feed, more-so than normal. As I said, I have never had this happen before so I won't be using that ink again in this pen. My 4th fill is Mont Blanc black ink, and that's what I have in it now, with no issues.

So, maybe try flushing and cleaning your wife's pen ( I even shake the pen out after flushing as much water as I can out of the c/c, over the sink), then try several other inks. It may be a bad c/c and/or feed issues or a combination of both. Hopefully you'll find an ink that behaves with her pen. I'll keep you posted if any other issues arise with mine.

Happy birding!

Rick

Hi folks ,

Just a fine writer.It was initially filled with Diamine Majestic blue. What a fine color!

She uses the pen at her work and writes discontinuously. When the pen is not in use , the pen is capped.

Now it seems that , while the converter is still 2/3 filled , the pen just stops writing.

Just unscrewing the CC , all works again. A flush of water on the nib works also.

Thanks for help

Hi arran,

I've had a couple of days now to put my new Belliver through several rounds of ink, and here is what I've found thus far; its first fill was Diamine Florida Blue and I did not notice any problems. Second fill was Diamine Majestic Purple, again, no issues. My third fill was Waterman Florida Blue, and here is where I had problems. The pen wrote very well, with a wet line, but after just a short time, with the pen capped and not in use, an issue began which I have never had, either with this particular ink or any of my other pens. I opened the pen to have a write, and noticed that there was a big blob of ink on the top side of the nib. A rather large blob, enough so that I went and flushed the ink immediately. Also found that ink was inside the cap, so cleaned that as well. I think it may have been a combination of a very "wet" ink and maybe the feed portion of the pen, as I could see ink welled up between some of the teeth (the underside) of the feed, more-so than normal. As I said, I have never had this happen before so I won't be using that ink again in this pen. My 4th fill is Mont Blanc black ink, and that's what I have in it now, with no issues.

So, maybe try flushing and cleaning your wife's pen ( I even shake the pen out after flushing as much water as I can out of the c/c, over the sink), then try several other inks. It may be a bad c/c and/or feed issues or a combination of both. Hopefully you'll find an ink that behaves with her pen. I'll keep you posted if any other issues arise with mine.

Happy birding!

Rick

You have encountered nib-creep. It happens with some pen-ink combinations. Waterman Carene does that too with some inks.

Do a search for nib-creep here on the FPN for tips how to minimise it.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hi folks ,

Thanks for help

Hi arran,

Happy birding!

Rick

You have encountered nib-creep. It happens with some pen-ink combinations. Waterman Carene does that too with some inks.

Do a search for nib-creep here on the FPN for tips how to minimise it.

D.ick

Maybe. I've experienced "nib-creep" before with many Noodler's inks and various pens, though this is the first time I've seen it like this. This was just a big blob of ink near the edge of the nib, nowhere near the split in the tines (I'm sure there's a name for that part, though I can't recall it). Like extreme nib-creep. Noodlers inks creep along the split in the nib from my experience. Oh well, the Waterman works well enough in my other pens.

Thanks for the input.

Rick

Hi folks ,

Thanks for help

Hi arran,

Happy birding!

Rick

Thanks Rick for feedback.

The was recentlt sent to CS and wait for response from them.

I tried several inks with same "stop writing" issues : Diamine majestic blue , asa blue , umber green and irusizuku ink kop peki.

• 2 weeks later...

For pens in the higher price range, there shouldn't be these kind of feed/flow problems. Something is wrong with QC at Conway Stewart. My vintage CS 55 and 58 pens work perfectly. I'll just use them, and let others deal with the modern pens. Yes, they are attractive visually, but at the price they should also write. Duh.

• 1 year later...

Reading about all of these quality control issues with Conway Stewart is bothersome as I am presently awaiting delivery of a CS Belliver with IB nib. (The coral green knocked me out!) Fingers crossed...

Mark Polis, MD

"A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

There are a number of people who keep accusing pen makers of faulty nibs/feeds when really the converter is the culprit. (of course on occasion the nib/feed may really be to blame...)

Always try the pen with a normal cartridge first.

D.ick

~

~

There are a number of people who keep accusing pen makers of faulty nibs/feeds when really the converter is the culprit. (of course on occasion the nib/feed may really be to blame...)

Always try the pen with a normal cartridge first.

D.ick

How would you do that with a captive converter such as the CS Winston? It may well be the fault of the converter but it is surely the responsibility of the pen manufacturer to ensure that the pens they sell will work without us having to go to trouble and expense of getting issues sorted!

How would you do that with a captive converter such as the CS Winston? It may well be the fault of the converter but it is surely the responsibility of the pen manufacturer to ensure that the pens they sell will work without us having to go to trouble and expense of getting issues sorted!

In that case you are perfectly right! That is exactly the reason why I bought my Winston with the C/C option instead of the trapped converter.

D.ick

~

~

Does the converter have any form of agitator in it. I find converters without an agitator can give this same problem but those with an agitator, either a small bead or spring suffer from it much less.

If you have access to others try another converter.

Paul

Why does this problem affect converters, but not cartridges? A converter is just a cartdrige with a piston inside, isn't it? They're both equally thin, both made of plastic. Surface tension issues should affect both, shouldn't it? :unsure:

Might be because cartridges and converters are not made from the same materials, so will react differently.

Paul

After intensive use of the belliver , it nows writes as it should be , with the original screw in converter.

Just some patience and good cleaning might suffice

I for one appreciate your involvement. The problem of both moderator and customer service role is that there's always going to be the possibility of appearing to squelch negative comments in an effort to defend the brand or obscure criticisms. Some do indeed go too far in their nay-sayings, painting with perhaps too broad a brush.

Anyway, please be so kind as to direct my review of a Belliver to the factory team. It shouldn't repeatedly land on customer service to "make things right". The opportunity to make the thing right is when the thing is actually being made.

Thank you, Mary. :thumbup:

D.ick

~

~

I for one appreciate your involvement. The problem of both moderator and customer service role is that there's always going to be the possibility of appearing to squelch negative comments in an effort to defend the brand or obscure criticisms. Some do indeed go too far in their nay-sayings, painting with perhaps too broad a brush.

Anyway, please be so kind as to direct my review of a Belliver to the factory team. It shouldn't repeatedly land on customer service to "make things right". The opportunity to make the thing right is when the thing is actually being made.

Hi,

I have copied and forwarded your review to our Operaions Director in the UK. Your feedback is very important to us and I will advise an update once I receive a response from the factory.

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

Thank you, Mary. :thumbup:

D.ick

Thanks D.ick - your positive response is very much appreciated.

I try very hard to help and will continue to always do so :)

The team in the factory work hard at making pens and it is important that they receive all types of feedback.

Might be because cartridges and converters are not made from the same materials, so will react differently.

Paul

Exactly. And some coverters are made from different plastics as well. Some are more suscepible to surface tension problems than others. Some inks will work with one brand of converter but not another. And so on and so forth.

One of the things I really demand from all my pens, is that they always write, even if I pick them up 4 months after filling.

So everything is inked and ready to go. If I go 'purple' then I want the pen to work right away without fussing around and coaxing ink out.

Only use PR and Namiki inks in any case for what it's worth.

The only pens that can do that (for me anyway) are all my Pelikans and my CS 100 honey-noire, F that I bought 5 years ago.

The CS has never let me down. 4 months in a drawer, (tightly capped) with Purple Mojo and I pick it up and it writes flawlessly.

Nonetheless, maybe I am just lucky, but in my heart I really begin to feel that a high-end quality pen should have a real filling system, like the piston filler in my Pelikans.

For the same reason I have not bought a Namiki, because I find it ludicrous that at such a price point (EUR 1,200-5,000+), a cheap converter filling system is in place.

If Pelikan can do it in a pen that costs EUR 110, then CS (and Namiki, and Nakaya et al.) can also do it in a pen costing EUR 550+ .

These are just my worthless private musings, so please don't ignite flames !

Tadeyev