#1 irish_monk

irish_monk

His Holy Dopeness, the Art Pope

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:25

I was just refilling my M101N Tortoise. In the process the whole piston assembly came out; just plain ol' unscrewed. I screwed it back in and everything seems to work ok. I wrapped the back end in paper towels and will leave it overnight to check for leaks. Has this happened to yours? Am I worried over nothing?

Edited by irish_monk, 11 February 2013 - 02:26.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

#2 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:54

This has never happened to me with Pelikans or any other pen.

How exactly did it occur -- when you were drawing ink into the pen did you just keep on turning the piston until it popped out?
C’est en écrivant qu'on devient écrevisse.

#3 irish_monk

irish_monk

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:58

Just expelling the last little bit of ink and refilling. I didn't consciously "over do it" The mechanism seems to be threaded rather than friction fit like my other Pelikans.
"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

#4 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:58

I was just refilling my M101N Tortoise. In the process the whole piston assembly came out; just plain ol' unscrewed. I screwed it back in and everything seems to work ok. I wrapped the back end in paper towels and will leave it overnight to check for leaks. Has this happened to yours? Am I worried over nothing?

It can happen although it has not happened yet on my M101N. I would suggest that you send it off to have it checked under warranty. If this were a standard pelikan souveran, I would have said don't worry, but with time the m101N parts esp. barrel etc. are going to be very hard to find.

#5 daenghafez

daenghafez

exquisite & rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:40

This had happened to my M800 clear demo. The whole piston came out when I unscrewed to have the pen inked. Despite trying to screw the piston back, the piston kept withdrawing out. I realised then that the piston thread was rather thin and worn (And it was a brand new M800 demo! This must be manufacturing defect.) I claimed for warranty and got back a new pen. I am not sure whether your situation is similar to mine but Hari is correct, please complain it to Pelikan under warranty asap.
Pens for Sale
Mint & NIB Pelikan M600 & K600 Blue Demo Sold
Mint & NIB Pelikan LE Colossus of Rhodes Sold

Posted Image

#6 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:23

There appear to be two flat sections either side of the piston end; visible once the filler know is wound out. To me, this says that it can be removed by the owner of whoever. I'm not suggesting that this is something Pelikan would recommend; just that it isn't necessarily a defect. Worth asking them though.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"
LetterExchange_sm.png

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:59

Posted Image

More on the filler unit here link click on the image thumbnail for a larger view. The filler unit uses Left hand thread system so you move the spanner CW to loosen and CCW to tighten.

HTH.

Hari

#8 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:04

IIRC, the M101n is specifically made so that you can disassemble the piston filler just like it is with the old model. Nothing wrong if it comes out, because it is made like that. If it were a M600/M800 I would worry.

Or have I misunderstood the question?

Edited by mirosc, 11 February 2013 - 10:05.

Greetings,
Michael

#9 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:10

Nothing wrong if it comes out, because it is made like that.

Hi, it is not supposed to come out when the user is operating the pen. It should come out only when sufficient torque is applied using a wrench. Thus the OP's situation is abnormal.

#10 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:56

It can happen although it has not happened yet on my M101N. I would suggest that you send it off to have it checked under warranty. If this were a standard pelikan souveran, I would have said don't worry, but with time the m101N parts esp. barrel etc. are going to be very hard to find.

I agree. Best to be certain and not have worries in the future.

#11 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• 2,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 16:44

Nothing wrong if it comes out, because it is made like that.

Hi, it is not supposed to come out when the user is operating the pen. It should come out only when sufficient torque is applied using a wrench. Thus the OP's situation is abnormal.

Ah, now I have understood. Indeed, that's not normal...
Greetings,
Michael

#12 zubipen

zubipen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:56

I had the same problem with the same model. I sent it to Pelikan and they change the pen. Now I try to be very carefull when filling the pen
Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

Posted Image

#13 irish_monk

irish_monk

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:17

I used the pen all day today with no ill effect. I emptied the pen and refilled it paying close attention to what I was doing. I wasn't using any unnecessary force; just expelling and filling like one normally would. When the knob was coming to rest against the barrel end it began to unscrew the piston mechanism. I sent an email to Chartpak regarding repair. Seems like a pretty big flaw for such an expensive pen. What's up, Pelikan?

Friedrich Nietzsche

#14 Readymade

Readymade

.. the (ink) stains become a warning...

• Member - Gold

• 1,666 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:06

@irish_monk: Just to let you know I have the same problem. Am now extra careful when turning the knob :/ No leaking so far.
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers - Facebook; Pens in SG FAQ

#15 irish_monk

irish_monk

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:14

Contacted Chartpak. Sending in this weekend. They will send it to Germany. Should be back in a couple of months.

Friedrich Nietzsche