Looking For A High Quality Journal

Americanfighter89

Hey guys I am looking for a new journal full size not lined blank pages and high quality paper that even broad point fountain pens wont bleed through. any suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matt385

• Americanfighter89

• 12345Michael54321

• amberleadavis

If you're not going with Quo Vadis' Habana, Rhodia's Webbie, or Leuchtturm 1917, I'd say maybe an artist's sketch book? I have two, the paper's not smooth though. When I picked up Clairfontaine paper after that, I felt like I was in heaven.

I went with a nice leather cover in the size I want and got a clairfontaine refill. I knew I would be going through the paper and wanted a leather cover with character

Edited by matt385

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

I went with a nice leather cover in the size I want and got a clairfontaine refill. I knew I would be going through the paper and wanted a leather cover with character

where did you get the leather cover

where did you get the leather cover

Renaissance arts, I got the idea from another post here.

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

Not necessarily a cheap alternative but definitely a good one (no affiliation) is Jenni Bick - Bookbinder.

100% satisfaction guarantee! Wide range of books, journals and some custom stuff. Occasionally I have seen discount or outlet books there, too.

http://www.jennibick.com

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

They aren't cheap, but Graphic Image makes the best journals I have had the pleasure to write in. I use the hardcover journals with lined pages. The paper is excellent, and the construction is rugged and strikes me as something that will outlast me (which was something I demand in a journal), but still was elegant and will not look out of place in a fine library.

Have you considered Renaissance Art Leather. Various sizes and various covers; you choose the paper (they will send you samples), high quality work. A little expensive, but very nice.

Renaissance Art Leather Journals

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Hey guys I am looking for a new journal full size not lined blank pages and high quality paper that even broad point fountain pens wont bleed through. any suggestions?

I recently purchased a Stillman & Birn, Epsilon series, hardbound, 8.5x11", 124 pages. The paper is 100 lb., plate finish, unlined.

I haven't tried writing in it with a broad nib pen, but I strongly suspect I could, and with very little, if any, bleed through.

Sounds like just what you say you're looking for.

I bought it from Plaza Artist Materials (as it's marketed as a sketchbook). I think the MSRP is around $23, but if you get lucky with sales and coupons, you can bring it home for half that. Art supply stores run frequent sales and coupon offers. Mind you, even at full price the book would be worth it; it's that good.

I've done well with the Picadilly journals available at Barnes and Noble.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 6 months later...

They aren't cheap, but Graphic Image makes the best journals I have had the pleasure to write in. I use the hardcover journals with lined pages. The paper is excellent, and the construction is rugged and strikes me as something that will outlast me (which was something I demand in a journal), but still was elegant and will not look out of place in a fine library.

Hello Goby

I have been all over their website and I can't find any information or discussion on the paper. It just says they use good paper. They all say that.

Do you know what they are using? Cotton, tree, recycled..? 70, 80,90gsm?

I looked through the paper reviews here on FPN but I did not come across one.

Inked

I bought some Exacompta journals that could be used with a leatherette cover. The paper is very good quality and would probably work with your broad nib.