Who Loves Desk Pens?

Keyless Works

I have four:

One is a Sheaffer black glass base with a Touchdown pen in it. No white dot. The barrel has an annular bulge where the O-ring seal is. The nib is a gold medium Feather Touch. It is an exquisite writer. I use it for writing drafts.

Another is a Sheaffer black Valiant in a brown onyx base. The pen is a Snorkel filler with an XF nib. It has some feedback. I use it for editing.

A third is a black Esterbrook in a black 8-ball base.

The fourth is an olive-drab Esterbrook in a no-name brass base. I bought the set to get the base. The pen's color was a real turn-off, but after I cleaned it up and polished it, it began to grow on me. It came with a Smoothline nib unit instead of one made by Esterbrook.The set looks so wrong, so poorly proportioned, so grotesque, and unutterably ugly, I just had to buy it.

Edited by Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Misfit

• JotterAddict62

• Keyless Works

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@L51

Don't know the SF antique mall, but maybe I should try to check them out.

... alas! they moved to Howard St and don't have a pen shelf anymore -at least the last time i was in, about 6 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently discovered that I have desk pens w/o their matching bases. grrrr

So now I have to go eBay shopping for bases.

Of course, there was a bunch of Parker bases at good prices that came and went. Something in the back of my head was telling me to pick up some of those bases, but I did not listen to that voice. Fooey.

Funny, I found a few Sheaffer bases at estate sales, but no Parker bases.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I recently got my first desk pen / set and really like it. It is the older MB style. Dates back to the 1980s.

post-104363-0-05781000-1381533921_thumb.png

One I don't have and would like to have is a desk base for either my MB 146 or 148.

Here are a few of my favorites:

post-5351-0-20171500-1381534717.jpg

Parker Duofuld Jr Lapis in a Carlton Ware porcelian base

post-5351-0-80240000-1381534817_thumb.jpg

Parker Vac Golden Pearl

post-5351-0-51984900-1381534759.jpg

Sheaffer Dual Snorkels one fine one medium nib

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Here Is an art deco desk set I picked up in Sept.

I'll need to get the Elgin clock fixed.

There is a small chip on the base [ Looking at photo on lower right front on the corner. ]

Now I'll have to find a pen that will fit in the holder.

post-105953-0-93283500-1381536588_thumb.jpg

My very first restoration was this brown Sheaffer's snorkel model:

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/hughdrbf/Snorkel-desk_01-opt.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/hughdrbf/Snorkel-desk_02-opt.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/hughdrbf/Snorkel-desk_03-opt.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/hughdrbf/Snorkel-brown-desk-writing-opt.jpg

The pen was a mess when I found it at an antiques mall. I learned a lot throughout the restoration process, and it became a really nice writer.

Hugh

I have to get into some of the older desk pens. Some of them are rather nice looking.

All of mine are relatively modern, with I think the oldest being a Parker 51.

And except for my mother's pen, none are lever filled sac pens.

So I have a gap in my collection that needs to be filled :D

www.SFPenShow.com

Here is a flea market find. Wait for it wait for it $3.00post-105953-0-46560300-1381558586_thumb.jpg

Not in photo is the pen I have in it Parker Challenger. Oh Yea same flea market $1.00

Ok here is the pen.

post-105953-0-94595400-1381558925_thumb.jpg

Back in Aug. at an auction these desk sets were selling for $2.00 to $20.00.

When the price was to $2.00 they went like hotcakes. I picked what I liked.post-105953-0-90791300-1381559333_thumb.jpgpost-105953-0-06411400-1381559305_thumb.jpg

post-105953-0-40023800-1381559258_thumb.jpg

I don't have any desk pens but this thread is fascinating :thumbup: :notworthy1:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

My one and only is a modern MB 149 and it's corresponding base/stand. I will only have one desk when I retire on Tuesday, ergo I only need one desk set...will probably considers others just cuz...

Here is a brass desk base I found in an antique/resale shop.

Need to find some glass ink holders to store the ink in.

I think it maybe trench art ? The knob on the front is for a small drawer.

post-105953-0-06240000-1382073101_thumb.jpg

post-105953-0-27291900-1382073110_thumb.jpg

Jotter

Take a look at this, then measure your stand to see which insert will fit.

http://www.soic.com/Store_Supplies.htm

And those pix of the desk sets have me drooling.

I've never seen so many desk sets in one place.

I could go broke at that place, and fill up the trunk of my car.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com