Joker4Eva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:07

Hi guys and girls!
I'm relatively new to the world of ink mixing, so I thought I'd pop by to clarify this issue.
I've got 2 inks which I do not quite like, that I intend to finish using before getting anymore ink. They're Pelikan Royal Blue and Montblanc Black.
I dislike the shade of Pelikan Royal Blue. It just isn't a bold enough blue for me. Even with an oblique medium nib on a Pelikan M200, it looks more like a faded blue than a "royal" blue.
The Montblanc Black just can't find it's way into my rotation. My blacks have to have at least a little permanence, and the MB Black just doesn't have that water-resistivity.
After searching around for a while on the forums on what to do with these two inks, I thought I should just ask you guys in this forum, if it was alright mixing these two inks together to produce a blue-black?
I do not really have the apparatus to test it out myself, so I guess I'd pop by and ask if anyone has done it before. Is there anything I should pay attention to? Are these two inks compatible with each other, being mixed?

#2 carlos.q

carlos.q

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:33

I have not tried this particular combination. However, from past experience I can say that both Pelikan and MB are both safe inks to mix. :happyberet:

I would recommend that you start with a 10 to 1, blue to black mix (you can use an eyedropper) in a clean container and let the mixture sit overnight to be on the safe side.

However, if you are looking for some degree of water resistance, this would not be a good combination, as none of these inks are water resistant. You will probably get better results mixing the Pelikan blue with a bit of Noodlers black, and the MB black with Pilot blue.

Anyway, ink mixing (like penmanship) is a hands on experience. Please do report back and show us your results.

#3 Joker4Eva

Joker4Eva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:47

Was just looking for a usable ink. Pelikan's Royal Blue's so faded out, I don't think I can use it in anything.
Would love to try that method out, but I unfortunately do not have any of those ink mixing equipment. Clean, empty container? Nope, have got to finish that bottle of ink first. Or maybe I could use the shotglass. :roflmho:
Eyedroppers? Nope.
I really should run to the pharmacy to get some of those. :headsmack: