19 replies to this topic

#1 jebib111

jebib111

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:41

In years gone by, I was under the impression that when a 61 clogged up it was a loss. I am seeing on YouTube that when this occurs what you really have is a long drawn out frustrating process, instead. That once you drain clear water you have done it, and all that remains is to get the remainder of the water out with a tissue (more time). Is this really the case? In addition, might you improve the process by immersing the pen in an ammonia and water solution and let it soak prior to the expelling process? I have a couple of pretty nice 61's I just set aside because of the prior assumption. What is the latest on this, please?

#2 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Member - Remembered fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:33

Soak the capillary filler in clear cool water at least overnight...
Purchase a bulb syringe at your local pharmacy.... cut just enough off the end so it is a snug fit on the capillary filler.....
Gently squeeze the bulb so that you push all the water out of the filler
Fill the syringe with cool water and gently squeeze the water through the collector.... keep doing this until you get clear water coming out of the nib end of the pen.
You may need to soak the filler overnight in clear water 2-3 times during this process depending on how much dried ink is in the pen
Once the water is running clear.... Push air through the filler unit and wrap the nib end in a napkin or paper towel and allow to sit point down at least overnight to wick any excess water out of the pen...
Allow the pen to dry at least one day and then fill...
I DO NOT recommend highly saturated inks like Noodlers or Private Reserve in a 61.... stick to inks like Waterman, Skrip and Diamine
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#3 MCameron

MCameron

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:18

Soak the capillary filler in clear cool water at least overnight...
Purchase a bulb syringe at your local pharmacy.... cut just enough off the end so it is a snug fit on the capillary filler.....
Gently squeeze the bulb so that you push all the water out of the filler
Fill the syringe with cool water and gently squeeze the water through the collector.... keep doing this until you get clear water coming out of the nib end of the pen.
You may need to soak the filler overnight in clear water 2-3 times during this process depending on how much dried ink is in the pen
Once the water is running clear.... Push air through the filler unit and wrap the nib end in a napkin or paper towel and allow to sit point down at least overnight to wick any excess water out of the pen...
Allow the pen to dry at least one day and then fill...
I DO NOT recommend highly saturated inks like Noodlers or Private Reserve in a 61.... stick to inks like Waterman, Skrip and Diamine

Tom:

Great advice. I went a bit further...I added 6 inches of flexible tubing (standard gas line at the local hardware store) to the "spout" on the squeeze bulb. Although not necessary, the rubber tubing is a snug but safe fit over the end of the capillary unit and allows more water per cycle. I also took a used Parker cartridge and cut off the "butt" end--then I put the cartridge in converter-style 61s, put the squeeze bulb on the other end, and can flush the collectors on non-cap 61's.

Mike

#4 FlighterGuy

FlighterGuy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:20

Gee Guys, that sounds like a lot of work. How about you get a 2-liter bottle out of the recycle. Drill a hole in the cap just big enough for the cap. fill to fit snugly. Drill another small hole in the bottom of the bottle. Fill the bottle with water, put the section through the cap so the nib will be inside of the bottle and turn the whole thing over in the kitchen sink. Let gravity and several hours do the work for you. And when you are done save the bottle cap (you can always get another 2-liter bottle when you need one)

#5 Mike 59

Mike 59

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:06

Hi, It's been my experience even with the worst clogged pens and feeders, is that soaking, plus time, will do the trick.
It could take several days, and half a dozen changes of water, but it will work.
To wick out the water, a folded up paper towel, in an old jar or glass, with the pen stood on it, is very effective.

#6 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:22

What about the salad-spinner method? I think I remember (yes, it's getting to be that way) that the old Parker Service guys had a centrifuge-like device to spin water out of the 61.

An almost-great design.
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#7 MCameron

MCameron

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:47

If you use a squeeze bulb, you can gently blow a lot of the water through the filler and collector.

Mike

#8 parker51man

parker51man

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:53

Some repairer do a cartrige/filler conversion. To be honest have not seen an uncoverted one for years. I spend most of my time about removing the lost arrow hole.

Edited by parker51man, 11 February 2013 - 19:55.

#9 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 20:39

Try the Old Griz method.
SOAK overnight to liquify the ink clog.
Trim the bulb tip little by little, until it fits tighly over
the osmotic filler. Push water through the pen until it comes
clear. HINT: Fit the same bulb over the nib end to back-flush.

Shake dry. Wick dry. Air dry. Ink.

Old Griz shared this with us a year ago. It saved my Parker 61.
The shop wanted $55 to replace the filler unit.

The bulb can be used to flush any cartridge pen nib/section.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#10 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 20:41

Gee Guys, that sounds like a lot of work. How about you get a 2-liter bottle out of the recycle. Drill a hole in the cap just big enough for the cap. fill to fit snugly. Drill another small hole in the bottom of the bottle. Fill the bottle with water, put the section through the cap so the nib will be inside of the bottle and turn the whole thing over in the kitchen sink. Let gravity and several hours do the work for you. And when you are done save the bottle cap (you can always get another 2-liter bottle when you need one)

No, really ! Snip, try. Snip, try. Snip, try. Fits ! Ready to go.

Posted Image

#11 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,064 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:24

I think Arthur Twyddle converted capillary fillers to cartridge / converter. Does anyone still do it?
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#12 Larry T

Larry T

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 13:59

I picked up a nice P61 Flighter for $20 because the seller said it was clogged, and only good as a parts pen. I soaked it overnight in water, then flushed it with a syringe several times over the next few days, leaving it to soak between cleanings. It took three days, but when I was done it worked like new. The soaking does most of the work, I never spent more than fifteen minutes at each syringe session. It's one of my favorite users, and one of the best deals I have found since getting into fountain pens.

I agree with Tom, avoid heavily saturated inks with the 61, I use Sheaffer Blue in mine.

Larry

#13 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:07

I think Arthur Twyddle converted capillary fillers to cartridge / converter. Does anyone still do it?

His son does, and he did one for me.

postcardde9.png    fpn_1414151466__snailbadge.png

#14 sherbie

sherbie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 21:56

I,ve rescued many P61 capillaries, and only 1 has not played ball. I flushed and flushed for days, and after all this effort, it wouldn,t take up a single cl of ink or water for that matter.

Cheers, Paul

#15 ilvecchio

ilvecchio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:41

I rescued my 61 that sat unused in a drawer for perhaps 20 years using basically the method described by OldGriz. It took several days because i let the pen soak overnight and then blew out the water. However, it did not take much of my time, just few minutes every day until the expelled water was clear. I now use the pen every day and it works as well as my 51s and is one of my favorite pens.

I use Parker blue ink and never plan to change the color.

#16 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,184 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 13:08

Hi,

Patience and water are key to reclaiming a 61.

After the water is flowing freely through the pen, and the discharge water is clear, I follow-up with an ammonia-based pen cleaning solution to remove any stubborn residuals. I keep the exposure time to that solution less than four hours. After that I give the pen the usual water flush to remove the pen cleaning solution.

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#17 psfred

psfred

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,126 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:34

I've had to actually remove the filler and unroll the membrane to get one clean (I was not the first one in there, actually, the end of the plastic roll was crushed). Got it working, though.

The only way water soaking and the ear bulb won't work is in the case of non-fountain pen ink solidifying in a pen, in which case a new filler is the only answer.

However, if it's just dried ink, soaking and flushing will fix it right up. Parker Washable Blue ink helps as well, it seems to do a good job of dissolving residual ink.

I second the idea of not using saturated inks, though -- it's a pain to have to flush and soak to get the pen unclogged, I'm not going to use inks more prone to clogging than normal. Skrip Blue-black is the normal diet for my 61s.

Now if someone could just come up with an easy fix for cracked plastic, we'd be in business!

Peter

#18 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 13:18

. . . ✄
Parker Washable Blue ink helps as well, it seems to do a good job of dissolving residual ink.
. . . ✄

Peter

Hi,

For dissolving the last of the residual ink, especially if a chemical pen cleaning solution was not used, I've also found the discontinued Parker Quink inks with SOLV-X to be good follow-up inks.

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#19 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 13:36

Fantastic !
You mean someone modified a brilliant, innovative, uniquely ingenious osmotic filling system
into just another cartridge pen ? Wow !
:notworthy1:

#20 adamselene

adamselene

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 17:27

1362144988[/url]' post='2614404']

1360671888[/url]' post='2596399']

Fantastic !
You mean someone modified a brilliant, innovative, uniquely ingenious osmotic filling system
into just another cartridge pen ? Wow !
:notworthy1:

I have a beautiful 61, with no "guts" in the plastic tube. I would love to have the pen working. the long black tube coming straight out of the section looks good. Is the thing that looks like an empty cart stuck in the section, the container for the capilary material, or is it an empty cart some one stuck on the thing?
I believe Ron Zorn and Greg Minuskin declined a look.

This thread filled me with hope! FPN Rocks!

Edited by adamselene, 01 March 2013 - 17:29.