#1 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 21:14

I just acquired an Eversharp Skyline that seems to be a model I've not seen before. I'm not posting a picture because it looks pretty much like any other standard sized Skyline, but with a couple of exceptions:

1. It does not have a cap band at all.
2. It has the usual over-the-top clip, but there is no double-check emblem imprinted, just Eversharp

The band around the base of the derby is imprinted Eversharp Skyline like all other Skylines. The nib is a first generation "banner" nib with the teardrop around the breather hold/slit. It is probably early production because of that style nib and also because it has the type of derby that screws off the top of the cap, not the one piece derby/inner cap that is much more common.

I have examples of the "Streamliner" which was the low end of the line, but they don't have the over-the-top clip, nor do they have the "banner" style nib. So, this does not seem to be a Streamliner.

I can understand that there could have been a very bottom of the Skyline lineup that had no cap band, but the lack of a double-check on the clip is confusing.

Can anyone tell me what model this is, when it was made, etc.??

Thanks,
John

#2 cypherz

cypherz

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:53

I think your pen model is pictured on this page:
http://penhero.com/P...harpSkyline.htm

Hth

#3 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:23

I think your pen model is pictured on this page:
http://penhero.com/P...harpSkyline.htm

Hth

You are correct in that my pen looks like an all black version of the "Modern Stripe" pen with no cap band. The Modern Stripe pens did have the over-the-top clip and they did not have the double check imprint, BUT they also came with a different nib. Their nib was a smaller Eversharp nib without any of the banner markings on it. My pen has a first generation banner nib and matching feed.

The banner nib is the real sticking point for me. I realize that it could be a repair job and not original to the pen. So, I'm still looking for some evidence that says the exact combination of components that are on my pen is actually a true model put out by the factory.

Thanks for your input.

John