Nakaya Under My Skin!

WOBentley

There is no cure. I finally got my first Nakaya this past Wednesday, and I was really surprised at how different the nib/writing experience is, and how positive those differences are. I had originally intended to get a Nakaya as my 'show' pen, so imagine my surprise to find out how well suited it is for actually writing. So my advice would be to enjoy the process of selecting a Nakaya pen for beauty, but perhaps you should buy a few 'ordinary' Nakaya's first so you can figure out what nibs to put on the really special ones.

Nakaya nibs are friction fit and SO easy to change. Of course there will be the issue of flow, but if you are willing to tinker, just buying the nibs can change one Nakaya into a glorious set of pens :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Frank C

• WOBentley

• ronw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no cure. I finally got my first Nakaya this past Wednesday, and I was really surprised at how different the nib/writing experience is, and how positive those differences are. I had originally intended to get a Nakaya as my 'show' pen, so imagine my surprise to find out how well suited it is for actually writing. So my advice would be to enjoy the process of selecting a Nakaya pen for beauty, but perhaps you should buy a few 'ordinary' Nakaya's first so you can figure out what nibs to put on the really special ones.

Nakaya nibs are friction fit and SO easy to change. Of course there will be the issue of flow, but if you are willing to tinker, just buying the nibs can change one Nakaya into a glorious set of pens :)

I have been adjusting my Waterman #2 nib, and have had some good success with that. All of them have been improved by the tinkering, and I've learned quite a bit.

So when a factory Nakaya comes along, and is so wonderful to use, I figure either a) I'm out of my league in terms of adjusting this type of nib and will face a big learning curve; or B) I just got lucky.

Either way, however, I'm reluctant to tinker with a wonderful setup. What I will probably do is to acquire another Nakaya or two over time, and at that point, I'll both have more experience, and surely one of them will be at a level where I can tinker without too much concern; I will have backups. The current setup on my Long cigar, a soft fine nib, is so perfect for sketching that I really don't want to mess that up. It's instantly in the top 3 of my drawing pens: the other two are a Spencerian-mod Namiki Falcon, and an ancient Waterman 52, both with XXF to BB nibs. The Nakay's surprisingly adept handling of upside-down is what puts it into that company, and it's ability to handle extremely fast sketching effortlessly is a dream come true; none of my pens (other than one truly wet noodle) has that kind of ability. And the wet noodle gets out of control at times; the Nakaya SF is a bit like a fighter pilot: predictable for control, and yet capable of astonishing tricks when required. That's a true paradox, and something I really enjoy about the Nakaya.

Ron Wodaski

<hr>

<a href='http://wodaski.com'>wodaski.com</a>

Would like to see some drawings you've done with your Nakaya, ronw. If you're willing.

Sure. I hadn't drawn much for decades, but got back into it when I started buying fountain pens. I wasn't expecting much - I mostly like to sketch, and I didn't think that sketching directly to (unchangeable) ink was a workable method, but it has worked out surprisingly well. Maybe that need to commit every line to paper motivates something creative. Dunno.

The Nakaya arrived four days ago; here's the early output. I'm not sure what size these will show up in your browser; most of them were drawn quite small. The first one, for example, on paper is only 1.75" x 3". I usually draw pretty compactly. :-) But it appears that the JPGs are often significantly larger than the drawings, so you might want to view them at reduced size. I'll know more when I see how they show up after posting. [update: all of the images are about 2x larger in my browser than they are on paper.]

This is is an example of my careful ink drawing. I normally have only used my Sailor MF nib for this, as it has a certain quality that I like: fairly thick lines, but the way the nib lays down the ink is attractive, in a way that is unique to Sailor nibs. I don't have one of those immediately handy, but here is the Nakaya drawing. It has a finer line than the Sailor (it's a soft fine), more like at etching perhaps. I use the Nakaya in normal position for the stronger/darker lines, and upside down for the fine lines and hatching. It is by far the best upside-down pen I have now; the Sailor used to hold that position. (The Nakaya came right in and pushed itself to the top in a number of categories.)

post-92113-0-76022800-1360519861.jpg

I also like to do super-quick sketches of faces, to which I attach a caption most of the time. They come out of nowhere; I have nothing in mind, I just see what shows up on the paper. Very few of my pens write well enough to do this high-speed sketching; the Nakaya is the best so far for this type of drawing. it's all intuition and alertness; the pen just has to keep up. This one is titled "The Irresponsible Man."

post-92113-0-43161100-1360520136.jpg

For comparison, here is a drawing done with my Waterman 52, which does XXF to BB; I call it "Anti-Cheshire Cat." This pen is very nice for drawing, but I think that the quality of line with the Nakaya is more attractive.

post-92113-0-02350500-1360520245.jpg

Edited by ronw

Ron Wodaski

<hr>

Nakaya definitely is under my skin. I'm the one that got Moon Cat for Christmas and broke her the next day. Then a month was spent waiting on a solution. When I found out they could do this sting technique thing that would fix her cap and make her unique all for $95, I did what any rational person would do. I ordered another Nakaya to be with me until (and after) Moon Cat comes home. It's the Naka-ai writer in Heki-Tamenuri with a super cool broad nib ground between a stub and CI, left oblique with flex. I don't want to write with anything else, though I use my other pens to keep them happy. But I can tell they're jealous. And, aside from my Pelikans (which I still love), I could probably sell all my other pens and be happy. In fact, I'm looking over my other pens and thinking, you know, if I sold them, I could probably buy another Nakaya. They are all weeping.

I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.

I could probably sell all my other pens and be happy. In fact, I'm looking over my other pens and thinking, you know, if I sold them, I could probably buy another Nakaya. They are all weeping.

I have seven pens set aside to sell, to finance my next Nakaya pen.

Ron Wodaski

<hr>

I'm at the point where I want to sell a couple of Nakayas to buy one Nakaya (custom). Heh.

NAKAYAAAAAAAA! (Said like Captain Kirk saying, "KAAAAAAAHN!")

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I'm at the point where I want to sell a couple of Nakayas to buy one Nakaya (custom). Heh.

As you know, I run a home where unwanted Nakayas can come and live out their lives in comfort. Which pens are you thinking of selling?

Which custom Nakaya are you thinking of getting?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

As you know, I run a home where unwanted Nakayas can come and live out their lives in comfort. Which pens are you thinking of selling?

Which custom Nakaya are you thinking of getting?

We can talk at the LA Pen Show. Having been immersed in Nakaya this weekend (a Japanese TV show is featuring a segment on Nakaya and came to the USA to interview users of Nakaya, and so the film crew and interpreter were at Pen Posse this afternoon), I'm Knayackered <--haa! Trying to create a portmanteau word out of Nakaya and knackered!

Yeah. Los Angeles. Yay!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 4 weeks later...

My Long Writer in Aka-tamenuri was feeling lonely this weekend, and its stablemate, a Heki Naka-ai Writer is still a couple of months back in the queue, so 'she who must be obeyed' decided to adopt a Portable Writer in Kuro-tamenuri to keep the Aka company. It's the 'Lotus Flower' model which looks like a normal Kuro-tamenuri writer until you remove the cap, revealing the Maki-e blossom on the section - definitely understated. Should be here in a few days. Photos may follow when all three pens are together.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I too seem to have reached the point where the compulsive howl in the night that yells "I must have MOOOOOOOOORE pens" has passed. Now I seem to be far more concentrated on only a few pens that personify something intangibly personal, and that basically means Nakaya and Hakase.

A few months ago my beloved dog died and so I contacted Jonella at nibs.com to discuss a Nakaya custom in her memory. I emailed a few photographs and waited; a while later a sketch was returned to me that captured poor wonderful Sufi so perfectly that it drove my wife to tears. It will be expensive - the most I have, and probably will, spend on a pen - yet like all Nakayas (and Hakases), the ability to have such delicate, perfect, personal work produced is infinitely beyond the financial cost.

It appears that I am not alone. Not only in this thread, but also in my family: after three decades without a fountain pen I have converted my mother back. She covets my Nakayas over and above all others, and so this will be her 60th birthday present:

http://www.nakaya.org/products/IMAGES/BODY/11040(1).jpg

Too many pens; too little writing.

I love the idea of having a Nakaya, but can't afford one. So, instead, I ordered the poor man's Nakaya, a Platinum pen with a soft fine nib. I think, for now, this will have to do. :blush:

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I too seem to have reached the point where the compulsive howl in the night that yells "I must have MOOOOOOOOORE pens" has passed. Now I seem to be far more concentrated on only a few pens that personify something intangibly personal, and that basically means Nakaya and Hakase.

A few months ago my beloved dog died and so I contacted Jonella at nibs.com to discuss a Nakaya custom in her memory. I emailed a few photographs and waited; a while later a sketch was returned to me that captured poor wonderful Sufi so perfectly that it drove my wife to tears. It will be expensive - the most I have, and probably will, spend on a pen - yet like all Nakayas (and Hakases), the ability to have such delicate, perfect, personal work produced is infinitely beyond the financial cost.

It appears that I am not alone. Not only in this thread, but also in my family: after three decades without a fountain pen I have converted my mother back. She covets my Nakayas over and above all others, and so this will be her 60th birthday present:

http://www.nakaya.org/products/IMAGES/BODY/11040(1).jpg

That looks like a beautiful pen. I am sure that you will enjoy it.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Mine are now ordered...yes that is plural...I'll be posting details in a separate thread...hopefully tomorrow...

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Hi, my name is Neels and I am a penoholic. It all started with my Montblanc Writers Edition collection. I was so happy. The sky was blue, the sun bright and the world filled with laughter. Nothing could go wrong. Then, I do not know how, I was drawn into a post showing some lovely pens I have never seen before. This post was by some evil ... no, selfish .... uhhh by an FPN user known to me as She who Shall Not Be Named. Ohhhh alright. Since you insist. It was that evil ethernautrix.

All joy drained from my life. The skies became grey and dull. Cold seeped into my bones. My life became a meaningless grind and my pens languished. How could I even contemplate laying ink on paper without the correct tools??? So, here I am today, months later. Nakaya number 3 on order. My Nakayas all like to stay at home. And yes, they ARE cigar smokers. I even have my suspicions that they might be getting into the 30 year old whiskey too, but I cant prove it. Yes, they just seem to invite any of their family over to come and stay. It is pretty much like the Eagles' song, Hotel California. They check in, but they can never leave. BUT ..... they are jolly good company.

I have YET to meet a Nakaya owner who was unhappy with their decision.

I am glad that we have this forum to share our problems with our Nakayas (Nakayae in Latin, I think). They do drink whisky, but just a very little bit at a time. They started with my Yamazki Single Malt, but when that was gone, they switched to some 25 year old Macallan. The only way to control this behavior is to fill them with DeAtramentis Scottish Whisky Ink. The problem is who wants ten (did I say ten?) nice pens all with the same ink? Another option is to keep them lashed into their kimonos. Even then, they sneak out sometimes. I guess its just the price one pays.

Does anyone have this kind of problem with MB Writer's Editions? William Faulkner comes to mind as a potential offender. Come to think of it, though, I have never any such problems with my Hemingway; he leaves my mojitos alone. (He's currently in Germany getting his nib straightened.)

Ah those Montblancs do get thier fair share of Peyronie's disease dont they :rolleyes:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hi, my name is Neels and I am a penoholic. It all started with my Montblanc Writers Edition collection. I was so happy. The sky was blue, the sun bright and the world filled with laughter. Nothing could go wrong. Then, I do not know how, I was drawn into a post showing some lovely pens I have never seen before. This post was by some evil ... no, selfish .... uhhh by an FPN user known to me as She who Shall Not Be Named. Ohhhh alright. Since you insist. It was that evil ethernautrix.

All joy drained from my life. The skies became grey and dull. Cold seeped into my bones. My life became a meaningless grind and my pens languished. How could I even contemplate laying ink on paper without the correct tools??? So, here I am today, months later. Nakaya number 3 on order. My Nakayas all like to stay at home. And yes, they ARE cigar smokers. I even have my suspicions that they might be getting into the 30 year old whiskey too, but I cant prove it. Yes, they just seem to invite any of their family over to come and stay. It is pretty much like the Eagles' song, Hotel California. They check in, but they can never leave. BUT ..... they are jolly good company.

I have YET to meet a Nakaya owner who was unhappy with their decision.

I am glad that we have this forum to share our problems with our Nakayas (Nakayae in Latin, I think). They do drink whisky, but just a very little bit at a time. They started with my Yamazki Single Malt, but when that was gone, they switched to some 25 year old Macallan. The only way to control this behavior is to fill them with DeAtramentis Scottish Whisky Ink. The problem is who wants ten (did I say ten?) nice pens all with the same ink? Another option is to keep them lashed into their kimonos. Even then, they sneak out sometimes. I guess its just the price one pays.

Does anyone have this kind of problem with MB Writer's Editions? William Faulkner comes to mind as a potential offender. Come to think of it, though, I have never any such problems with my Hemingway; he leaves my mojitos alone. (He's currently in Germany getting his nib straightened.)

Ah those Montblancs do get thier fair share of Peyronie's disease dont they :rolleyes:

They do get their share of traumatic bashing after all...

Mine are now ordered...yes that is plural...I'll be posting details in a separate thread...hopefully tomorrow...

We're all waiting... :D

Having a difficult time posting pics from my iPad... Will try from computer tomorrow.

Has anyone successfully posted pics from an iPad?

ETA: I just got it to work, so now posted as promised!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg