Nakaya Under My Skin!

WOBentley

I have pointed out elsewhere on FPN that once I invited a Nakaya into my home, others just started showing up at my doorstep. I bring them in, make them comfortable, give them some ink, and find a place for them to stay. Some like to go out; they have clips and are called writers. Some just want to stay home and smoke my cigars, hence their name. That is fine, too.

I showed one of my plainest Nakayas to Stevesurf, a black portable with an XF nib and he fell in love with it immediately. His araishu piccolo XXF arrived at his house shortly thereafter. I say don't worry too much when new Nakayas arrive at your houses; all of mine have been welcome guests. If you do find that you have unwelcome Nakayas, send them to me; I know how to keep a Nakaya happy.

Yes, Frank does, he knows inks and proper care and feeding; however, the Nakaya might want to stay with him, so don't risk it :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Frank C

• WOBentley

• ronw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, my name is Neels and I am a penoholic. It all started with my Montblanc Writers Edition collection. I was so happy. The sky was blue, the sun bright and the world filled with laughter. Nothing could go wrong. Then, I do not know how, I was drawn into a post showing some lovely pens I have never seen before. This post was by some evil ... no, selfish .... uhhh by an FPN user known to me as She who Shall Not Be Named. Ohhhh alright. Since you insist. It was that evil ethernautrix.

All joy drained from my life. The skies became grey and dull. Cold seeped into my bones. My life became a meaningless grind and my pens languished. How could I even contemplate laying ink on paper without the correct tools??? So, here I am today, months later. Nakaya number 3 (EDIT: oops, forgot the about the 2 Briar wood writers, so that is #5) on order. My Nakayas all like to stay at home. And yes, they ARE cigar smokers. I even have my suspicions that they might be getting into the 30 year old whiskey too, but I cant prove it. Yes, they just seem to invite any of their family over to come and stay. It is pretty much like the Eagles' song, Hotel California. They check in, but they can never leave. BUT ..... they are jolly good company.

I have YET to meet a Nakaya owner who was unhappy with their decision.

Edited by NeelsK

Hi, my name is Neels and I am a penoholic. It all started with my Montblanc Writers Edition collection. I was so happy. The sky was blue, the sun bright and the world filled with laughter. Nothing could go wrong. Then, I do not know how, I was drawn into a post showing some lovely pens I have never seen before. This post was by some evil ... no, selfish .... uhhh by an FPN user known to me as She who Shall Not Be Named. Ohhhh alright. Since you insist. It was that evil ethernautrix.

All joy drained from my life. The skies became grey and dull. Cold seeped into my bones. My life became a meaningless grind and my pens languished. How could I even contemplate laying ink on paper without the correct tools??? So, here I am today, months later. Nakaya number 3 on order. My Nakayas all like to stay at home. And yes, they ARE cigar smokers. I even have my suspicions that they might be getting into the 30 year old whiskey too, but I cant prove it. Yes, they just seem to invite any of their family over to come and stay. It is pretty much like the Eagles' song, Hotel California. They check in, but they can never leave. BUT ..... they are jolly good company.

I have YET to meet a Nakaya owner who was unhappy with their decision.

I am glad that we have this forum to share our problems with our Nakayas (Nakayae in Latin, I think). They do drink whisky, but just a very little bit at a time. They started with my Yamazki Single Malt, but when that was gone, they switched to some 25 year old Macallan. The only way to control this behavior is to fill them with DeAtramentis Scottish Whisky Ink. The problem is who wants ten (did I say ten?) nice pens all with the same ink? Another option is to keep them lashed into their kimonos. Even then, they sneak out sometimes. I guess its just the price one pays.

Does anyone have this kind of problem with MB Writer's Editions? William Faulkner comes to mind as a potential offender. Come to think of it, though, I have never any such problems with my Hemingway; he leaves my mojitos alone. (He's currently in Germany getting his nib straightened.)

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Does anyone have this kind of problem with MB Writer's Editions? William Faulkner comes to mind as a potential offender. Come to think of it, though, I have never any such problems with my Hemingway; he leaves my mojitos alone. (He's currently in Germany getting his nib straightened.)

Oddly enough, my Shaw was a bit blood-thirsty, but I think the Alfred Hitchcock ink took care of that. And I did hear some joyful croaking in the drawer of my pen case where the Poe set resides after the Ravens' win last Sunday. But otherwise, no problems.

What happened to your Hemi? Did the old man have an accident by the sea?

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Hi, my name is Neels and I am a penoholic. It all started with my Montblanc Writers Edition collection. I was so happy. The sky was blue, the sun bright and the world filled with laughter. Nothing could go wrong. Then, I do not know how, I was drawn into a post showing some lovely pens I have never seen before.

:roflmho:

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

It was that evil ethernautrix.

Yay! I finally get to be evil! *Happy evil dance*

Evil evil E-VIL! Evil evil E-VIL! Da-da da-da da dah!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I am glad that we have this forum to share our problems with our Nakayas (Nakayae in Latin, I think). They do drink whisky, but just a very little bit at a time. They started with my Yamazki Single Malt, but when that was gone, they switched to some 25 year old Macallan. The only way to control this behavior is to fill them with DeAtramentis Scottish Whisky Ink. The problem is who wants ten (did I say ten?) nice pens all with the same ink? Another option is to keep them lashed into their kimonos. Even then, they sneak out sometimes. I guess its just the price one pays.

I'm... going to guess that Nakaya doesn't have Latin roots. Teehee.

That DeAtramentis ink looks lovely! Is it easy to read (dark enough)?

Funny, my Hemingway doesn't seem to mind being a hermit. (Well, a hermit surrounded by other fine hermits.) Sounds like your Hemingway got into a punch-up with somebody. Hrm.

Every once in a while, I bring out ol' Hemingway (I've had him for about twenty years). Maybe he'll want to go to the LA Pen Show with the upstart newcomers Nakaya clan.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Hi, my name is Neels and I am a penoholic. It all started with my Montblanc Writers Edition collection. I was so happy. The sky was blue, the sun bright and the world filled with laughter. Nothing could go wrong. Then, I do not know how, I was drawn into a post showing some lovely pens I have never seen before.

:roflmho:

If you've mistaken FPN as a fountain version of Alcoholics Anonymous you will soon realize that rather than find support for abstinence you have descended into a pit of temptation. May God have mercy on your bank account.

Oddly enough, my Shaw was a bit blood-thirsty, but I think the Alfred Hitchcock ink took care of that. And I did hear some joyful croaking in the drawer of my pen case where the Poe set resides after the Ravens' win last Sunday. But otherwise, no problems.

What happened to your Hemi? Did the old man have an accident by the sea?

To be honest, I really don't know what happened. I got it out the other day to fill it with ink and the nib looked a little funny to me. I made certain that I was in a clean, well-lighted place, and got out my loupe to examine it. It was bent on the end. I have said a farewell to arms, so I was unable to fix it myself. I took it to the local MB emporium and they sent it off to Hamburg for repairs.

Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

This is very true. One of my great fears is to sell an organ so I can afford a Nakaysa only to realize later that it was transient infatuation. :embarrassed_smile:

Everything in life is temporary - especially infatuation.

You can see this by the way the PFTLOTRS waxes and wanes - one day it's Nakaya, the next it's Danitrio. Enjoy the ride but don't be surprised at the variety. Your tastes will change, as will the pens.

As an unemployed student I'm nowhere near getting a Nakaya on my own, but I love browsing their site, checking all the finishes and colors, planning my dream pen and sighing loudly.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://365drawings.wordpress.com

I bought three Nakayas within 6 months but have managed to resist buying another in the last year. I have no idea how long my resitance will last, especially as the Blue Dragon is my main pen, day in day out.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

I bought three Nakayas within 6 months but have managed to resist buying another in the last year. I have no idea how long my resitance will last, especially as the Blue Dragon is my main pen, day in day out.

It sounds like the Blue Dragon meets your daily pen standard. I stopped at three Nakaya pens myself. Each is a different model and nib. I am quite satisfied now with my Nakaya collection and pens. If I every decide on another Nakaya, I would sell one of my Nakaya pens. It is hard for me personally to justify owning more than three of them. You can only use so many in a day.

At this time in my life with family and other financial responsibilities, buying pens can not be a priority. I can understand if people have disposable income and enjoy pens, then by all means purchase away.

I am getting very close to my order, kanji selected and going to Nakaya for them to send drawing back for final approval, and a change in the basic model due to a pricing surprise that made the more expensive pen within reach (or is that really just that it made it more justifiable ;) ).

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I am getting very close to my order, kanji selected and going to Nakaya for them to send drawing back for final approval, and a change in the basic model due to a pricing surprise that made the more expensive pen within reach (or is that really just that it made it more justifiable ;) ).

So what pen did you finally settle on? I hope the posts in this topic were of some help.

The posts were very helpful!

I am getting a Dorsal fin in Aka-Tamenuri...when all is finalized I will post details of the maki-e and kanji...

Any opinions on color of Kanji for an Aka-Tamenuri pen? Gold or Black?

Aka tamenuri is fairly dark. I would recommend going with gold. Black might not show up at all.

That is what nibs.com (Classic Fountain Pens) has recommended... I want it to be visible but not too visible... The gold will probably work well.

I have gold kanji on my kuro-tamenuri and heki-tamenuri pens. It stands out nicely without being too bold; I think you'll be pleased with it.

So I am getting a quote on a custom Nakaya. Of course that means I have been looking carefuily at all the various styles and options.

There is no cure. I finally got my first Nakaya this past Wednesday, and I was really surprised at how different the nib/writing experience is, and how positive those differences are. I had originally intended to get a Nakaya as my 'show' pen, so imagine my surprise to find out how well suited it is for actually writing. So my advice would be to enjoy the process of selecting a Nakaya pen for beauty, but perhaps you should buy a few 'ordinary' Nakaya's first so you can figure out what nibs to put on the really special ones.

Ron Wodaski

<hr>

<a href='http://wodaski.com'>wodaski.com</a>