Nakaya Under My Skin!

WOBentley

So I am getting a quote on a custom Nakaya. Of course that means I have been looking carefuily at all the various styles and options. Fellow FPN member Geoduc was kind enough to bring his wonderful Nakayas by for me to look at and sample (Thanks again :notworthy1: ) However all of this has created a significant problem...Nakaya Lust!

I haven't even ordered my first one (though that will happen any day now), but I already have my next two Nakayas planned out.

My custom will be based on a 17mm long Cigar with a little Maki-e flourish and some kanji in Aka-tamenuri... I was debating doing this on a dorsal fin, but then nibs.com put up pictures of a dorsal fin 2, I am completely smitten with the elegant simplicity and subtle beauty of that pen :wub: . To me it cries out to be done in Aka-tamenuri also (partly because I like red so much and partly because the subtle difference in reds seems so suited to the character of this pen). I was Ok with that until I saw a full size decapod in Heki-tamenuri....perfect!

So I have 3 purchases planned before even ordering my first one...please tell me there is a cure! I have had pens I have wanted to acquire before but this seems somewhat different. I guess I should just give up all hope of ever retiring, resistance appears to be futile! :roflmho:

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Frank C

• WOBentley

• ronw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I am getting a quote on a custom Nakaya. Of course that means I have been looking carefuily at all the various styles and options. Fellow FPN member Geoduc was kind enough to bring his wonderful Nakayas by for me to look at and sample (Thanks again :notworthy1: ) However all of this has created a significant problem...Nakaya Lust!

I haven't even ordered my first one (though that will happen any day now), but I already have my next two Nakayas planned out.

My custom will be based on a 17mm long Cigar with a little Maki-e flourish and some kanji in Aka-tamenuri... I was debating doing this on a dorsal fin, but then nibs.com put up pictures of a dorsal fin 2, I am completely smitten with the elegant simplicity and subtle beauty of that pen :wub: . To me it cries out to be done in Aka-tamenuri also (partly because I like red so much and partly because the subtle difference in reds seems so suited to the character of this pen). I was Ok with that until I saw a full size decapod in Heki-tamenuri....perfect!

So I have 3 purchases planned before even ordering my first one...please tell me there is a cure! I have had pens I have wanted to acquire before but this seems somewhat different. I guess I should just give up all hope of ever retiring, resistance appears to be futile! :roflmho:

Nice, problem, being absorbed in this collective! I received my Nakaya Piccolo XXF, in orange, on my birthday, and the packaging, etc. is so beautiful I am actually waiting to ink it until I have a little quiet time to really enjoy it. If you like the Nakaya red so much, then definitely go for that color, and also consider the plainer Piccolos in polished and unpolished red, as you can have another Nakaya for almost 1/3 the price of the gorgeous dorsal fin. I'm just a Nakaya novice and there are better experts here that will hopefully contribute as well. My final advice is to email nibs.com and even just ask them their advice. They are wonderful, respond and ship quickly after you approve the invoice they send back to you, which should be read carefully and approved. Best of luck!!!

:thumbup:

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

So I am getting a quote on a custom Nakaya. Of course that means I have been looking carefuily at all the various styles and options. Fellow FPN member Geoduc was kind enough to bring his wonderful Nakayas by for me to look at and sample (Thanks again :notworthy1: ) However all of this has created a significant problem...Nakaya Lust!.......

Alas, once infected, there is no cure. I have been dreaming of my second Nakaya and third Nakaya for close to a year now since getting my first one with a BB ground to a stub by John Mottishaw. I now evaluate any other possible pen purchase against the Nakayas....spend $600 or $700 on a new Pelikan or Aurora, or on a Nakaya? While I do use some of my other favorites, I have not bought a single pen since my Blue Dragon...

I can think of far worse afflictions!

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

They are very refined instruments and very unique as Steve said, the packaging is elegant and beautiful in its simplicity. Has that thing going on that you almost at times dear using it as it is beautiful. And JM is a great artist. The nib like his the flex LOB thing he did for me is spectacular.

Enjoy and wait for the next one. My next one is ETA's for about a month, Ao Tamenuri......

All the best

Mike

Sorry, I can't help you. I can't even help myself.

I was thinking about the new tortoiseshell brown Pelikan M800 until I saw the $750 MSRP. My immediate reaction was, "Forget it, I can buy another Nakaya for that".

On the one hand, Nakayas are expensive. On the other hand, I no longer buy very many fountain pens. And I've sold or given away other fountain pens that I knew I wouldn't use anymore. My preferences shifted.

I did recently buy two TWSBI Mini Classics, and I'm happy with them, but together they cost about a fifth of one Nakaya. I also bought a used Namiki Falcon (for drawing) for about a fifth of one Nakaya.

I did notice that I started pricing items according to the Nakaya basic fountain pen cost. A couple of years ago when I got my first ever traffic violation ticket, I panicked, cos I thought it would cost me two Nakayas, at least! (From the information I could find on the Internet, it seemed that that would be the cost, and I believed it, cos it was in San Francisco where parking in a bus stop costs around $400.) But the ticket ended up costing me about half-a-Nakaya, or less, can't remember exactly, but not even a Nakaya.

It'll be interesting to see if the Nakaya Shield is as effective for others as it has been for me. When I've ordered a Nakaya, I was unable to purchase other fountain pens until the pen was delivered and paid for, which meant going four, five, six months without buying another pen. I did learn that the Nakaya Shield did not work for Nakaya pens (but only when prices were about to increase).

WOBentley, congratulations on your imminent order. Can't wait to see photos!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

It'll be interesting to see if the Nakaya Shield is as effective for others as it has been for me. When I've ordered a Nakaya, I was unable to purchase other fountain pens until the pen was delivered and paid for, which meant going four, five, six months without buying another pen. I did learn that the Nakaya Shield did not work for Nakaya pens (but only when prices were about to increase).

The Nakaya Shield has been working very well for me. I save my money, order a Nakaya, and then immediately start saving for the next one. The only non-Nakaya pen that has tempted me recently has been the tortoiseshell M800 mentioned above. I just contacted John M.'s shop about ordering Nakaya #6 and pretty much have #7 figured out. After that I think I'm done.

After that I think I'm done.

I'm done. For now. I do keep thinking about how I don't have a matte black (hairline) with ruthenium nib... or a customized (probably Piccolo, maybe Naka-ai) with eight thousand monkeys on it or maybe the Earth Witness mudra (somehow).

In perhaps shocking news, I'm thinking maybe I should have fewer Nakayas, and by that, I mean sell a couple so I can get the matte black or the customized (or both). I don't want TEN Nakayas. I'm using four or five the most. I don't know what I'm saying. <--Lucille Bluth

etherX in To Miasto

Everything in life is temporary - especially infatuation.

You can see this by the way the PFTLOTRS waxes and wanes - one day it's Nakaya, the next it's Danitrio. Enjoy the ride but don't be surprised at the variety. Your tastes will change, as will the pens.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Oh yeah, *I'm* not surprised, but considering how many questions about Nakaya I get, I think it might surprise others. I've been inculcated to the transient nature of life since a very early age, so I get that. What I don't understand is PFTLOTRS. What's that?

etherX in To Miasto

Sorry, I can't help you. I can't even help myself.

I was thinking about the new tortoiseshell brown Pelikan M800 until I saw the $750 MSRP. My immediate reaction was, "Forget it, I can buy another Nakaya for that".

Me too! It's a beautiful pen but I could get a decapod for that...

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

In perhaps shocking news, I'm thinking maybe I should have fewer Nakayas, and by that, I mean sell a couple so I can get the matte black or the customized (or both). I don't want TEN Nakayas. I'm using four or five the most. I don't know what I'm saying. <--Lucille Bluth

No, I don't think it's shocking. You reach a certain point where you have a nice representation of your favorite models, finishes, and nibs. Any pens beyond that are redundant unless your focus is on collecting. I consider myself a user rather than a collector and don't want too many pens, Nakaya or otherwise. I have the impression that your approach is similar (correct me if I'm wrong).

So you see, WOBentley, there is a cure. You just have to buy enough Nakayas to sate your desires. The question is how many will it take?

No, I don't think it's shocking. You reach a certain point where you have a nice representation of your favorite models, finishes, and nibs. Any pens beyond that are redundant unless your focus is on collecting. I consider myself a user rather than a collector and don't want too many pens, Nakaya or otherwise. I have the impression that your approach is similar (correct me if I'm wrong).

So you see, WOBentley, there is a cure. You just have to buy enough Nakayas to sate your desires. The question is how many will it take?

Your comments really strike a chord with me too. I don't know whether there are other, as yet undefined shields at work - I'm sure there must at least be a Danitrio one, invisible and elusive thus far but definitely there - but I seem to have reached a certain equilibrium where I'm content with what I have. I do have vague ideas for further purchases, but the fact that I haven't even got around to even thinking about it yet is telling. This is something new for me.

In part, it's the realisation that, with a few very special exceptions, there's little point in having pens that don't get used. I've concluded that, to truly enjoy these lovely pens, they need some regular hand time. It's also that, having experimented and bought LOTS of pens over the last few years, I just know much better what I like now, and what will give me long term pleasure. As a consequence I'm slowly reducing my stash and I've even let go a couple of pens that I'd never thought I'd sell (the Dani Snake Raden most especially), but only to get that 'really special one' - and I haven't missed or regretted selling any of them!

The final consideration is that my be cabinet holds 20 pens, add one in my hand and 21 feels like a nice number! No doubt one day something will turn up to test that theory!

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Good to know there is a cure and that I am not alone! I have also recently come to the realization that I have enough pens, but I do continue to be open to a few special ones. I have storage for close to 200 pens and have some open slots left, so while the rate of purchasing will slow greatly, I will still consider pens that I find truly special. As pointed out, One can always sell them on to another owner if not being used!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Oh yeah, *I'm* not surprised, but considering how many questions about Nakaya I get, I think it might surprise others. I've been inculcated to the transient nature of life since a very early age, so I get that. What I don't understand is PFTLOTRS. What's that?

PFTLOTRS is the name of this forum, Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun.

What I don't understand is PFTLOTRS. What's that?

PFTLOTRS is the name of this forum, Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun.

Thanks, Justin. I thought it was a Lord of the Rings reference. (But haven't seen any of those movies, so... whoosh, over my head!) Ha ha ha, d'oh!

etherX in To Miasto

I have pointed out elsewhere on FPN that once I invited a Nakaya into my home, others just started showing up at my doorstep. I bring them in, make them comfortable, give them some ink, and find a place for them to stay. Some like to go out; they have clips and are called writers. Some just want to stay home and smoke my cigars, hence their name. That is fine, too.

I showed one of my plainest Nakayas to Stevesurf, a black portable with an XF nib and he fell in love with it immediately. His araishu piccolo XXF arrived at his house shortly thereafter. I say don't worry too much when new Nakayas arrive at your houses; all of mine have been welcome guests. If you do find that you have unwelcome Nakayas, send them to me; I know how to keep a Nakaya happy.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I have pointed out elsewhere on FPN that once I invited a Nakaya into my home, others just started showing up at my doorstep. I bring them in, make them comfortable, give them some ink, and find a place for them to stay. Some like to go out; they have clips and are called writers. Some just want to stay home and smoke my cigars, hence their name. That is fine, too.

I showed one of my plainest Nakayas to Stevesurf, a black portable with an XF nib and he fell in love with it immediately. His araishu piccolo XXF arrived at his house shortly thereafter. I say don't worry too much when new Nakayas arrive at your houses; all of mine have been welcome guests. If you do find that you have unwelcome Nakayas, send them to me; I know how to keep a Nakaya happy.

Providing shelter for lost and unwanted Nakayas? You really are too good for this world...

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

good one! :roflmho: