Taking Another Chance On Ebay

pajaro

While browsing ebay UK I saw an auction for a spares pen with a 9312 italic nib. Having recently purchased a 2312 italic nib and found it to be the most satisfying Estie nib so far, I thought I would try this. I won it yesterday, and the postage is more than the auction price, the total being about $40. These nibs are hard to find, so I thought I would hope the nib is in decent condition. The cap is a hoser, so the pen is, as the seller said, spares.

I saw an SJ on ebay the other day, and it is a buy it now of $55 (he dropped it from $75). 2312 italic nib. Do I really need another? Not really, but I sometimes get the fever for these things and overbuy. Not this time.

Edit to clarify: The SJ with the 2312 is on USA ebay, not on ebay UK. Please buy it, someone.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Brian Anderson

• checkrail

• Harlequin

Top Posters In This Topic

2312 nibs are quite uncommon. I have seen very few over the years. Oddly enough, not really crazy about the nib. :)

I hae tried the stubs, 2284 and 9284 broad stubs and the 9314/2314 group of relief stubs seeking obvious line variation, and I have tried using these nibs upside down, which helps a bit. It wasn't until I used the 2312 italic that I had some decent line variation. Being left handed, all of these nibs work differently for me than they work for right handed writers. The nib is at a different angle. The flexible nibs don't work well for me either, so this 2312 and the 9312 are the practical solution for me within the Esterbrook product line. I know about the Osmiroids, and they are sharp and catch the paper. I don't care to go into nib artistry solutions. I prefer to use the factory product, even if the nib artist can create something a google of googles better. I don't think Esterbrook made a BB nib that would be what would be needed to get dramatic line variation in a CI nib. The relief stubs are close, but they are about a 15 degree oblique, and my left handed approach to the nib leaves me rotating these all the time to position the nib correctly. The 9314/2314s can be quite sharp. So, it's 2312/9312 or forget this maker.

I read your comment, and thought over the tenor of it. I will just say what I refrained from saying before, that I am not at all crazy about hard rubber stuff, having cleaned a whole lot of oxidation off of such items. I hope this doesn't happen to RHR.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I would love to get that, it's actually a search I have saved. But I simply can't afford it right now, even if it's a great price for it. Makes me mad to see it for a good price and not be able to grab one though- especially when it's one of the more rare nibs!

Well, I am not a leftie, but the 2312 is my favourite for line variation too. The 3314 I got more recently is good also, but too temperamental and exacting for general writing.

Regards

Timothy

I would love to get that, it's actually a search I have saved. But I simply can't afford it right now, even if it's a great price for it. Makes me mad to see it for a good price and not be able to grab one though- especially when it's one of the more rare nibs!

This is a source of frustration for all of us who are not rich. The 2312 is a nib I wanted to try for a while, but just never noticed one. Your time will come when you will have the means and opportunitity. Have faith.