8 replies to this topic

#1 Maytag Snow

Maytag Snow

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:36

I am coming to this forum after seeing a lot of similar, but not identical Waterman Eyedroppers online. Long ago, its original nib was changed out with a generic gold nib, which complicates identifying the maker.

Filigree_Eyedropper.jpg

The shape of the section and the long taper of the body resemble Waterman 12s and 14s. However, I have not seen this filigree pattern on any other pen, and the rounded top is unusual. So I am hoping someone here can give me a positive ID for this lovely creature.

Eyedropper_cap&body.jpg Eyedropper section.jpg

These photos are pretty blurry because they are from the auction seller (naturally :-) I will send sharper ones when the pen arrives.

If you can identify it. Should it have a clip (slip on or otherwise)?
What are your opinions on trying to replace the nib with an original or near original? Or just keep the nib for sake of the pen's story?

This is my first early acquisition, so I have a lot more to learn.

I look forward to your comments, even if you send me to another forum...

#2 Xof72000

Xof72000

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:41

Nice one !
But it doesn't look like a Waterman to me : the shape of the cap seems too round for it.
As the nib isn't a Waterman one as well (and even if it could have been changed), I would say this is not a Waterman.

#3 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:19

I can't help at all....but I am full of drool!!!! Very nice catch! Congratulations :thumbup:
Each day is the start of the rest of your life!
Make it count!!!

#4 Maytag Snow

Maytag Snow

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 13:31

I am coming to this forum after seeing a lot of similar, but not identical Waterman Eyedroppers online. Long ago, its original nib was changed out with a generic gold nib, which complicates identifying the maker.

Filigree_Eyedropper.jpg

The shape of the section and the long taper of the body resemble Waterman 12s and 14s. However, I have not seen this filigree pattern on any other pen, and the rounded top is unusual. So I am hoping someone here can give me a positive ID for this lovely creature.

Eyedropper_cap&body.jpg Eyedropper section.jpg

These photos are pretty blurry because they are from the auction seller (naturally :-) I will send sharper ones when the pen arrives.

If you can identify it. Should it have a clip (slip on or otherwise)?
What are your opinions on trying to replace the nib with an original or near original? Or just keep the nib for sake of the pen's story?

This is my first early acquisition, so I have a lot more to learn.

I look forward to your comments, even if you send me to another forum...

#5 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:43

It doesn't look like a Waterman to me either. When you get it in, look at the butt end of the barrell. A Waterman would have number's there. Check out the cap and look for places a clip could have been mounted, however slip cap ED's often didn't have clips.
One of my favorite nibs is a warrented one, let us know how it turns out.

Edited by Uncle Red, 01 February 2013 - 17:44.

#6 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• 4,502 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 19:32

I believe that this may be an A.A Waterman (not LE Waterman) from around 1910 and it does not have a clip.

I have seen this overlay pattern before on an AA Waterman. There should be an imprint in the BHR under the overlay. After 1912 they started to imprint the overlay with some text about not being related to the other Waterman.

Edited by Scrawler, 01 February 2013 - 20:33.

#7 Maytag Snow

Maytag Snow

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 13:38

It doesn't look like a Waterman to me either. When you get it in, look at the butt end of the barrell. A Waterman would have number's there. Check out the cap and look for places a clip could have been mounted, however slip cap ED's often didn't have clips.
One of my favorite nibs is a warrented one, let us know how it turns out.

Many, many thanks to all of you who responded to help put me on the right track. I expect to get it tomorrow, and then the real investigation begins. I promise to let you know what I find out. What a great community!

#8 Maytag Snow

Maytag Snow

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:15

The pen arrived today, and I have had a good look at it. There is no writing or numbers anywhere visible on the pen. I enclose a new photo showing the rounded cap with breather hole and the profile of the taper. With this information, I am low looking at other manufacturers such as Mabie Todd and A.A. Waterman. Thank you all again for your help. I think it is time to take this question to the wider FPN forum community.

Attached Images

• Body Taper.JPG

#9 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• 3,255 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:25

Your overlay looks a lot like this on my 1903 Conklin crescent filler........ could it be related?

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!
Make it count!!!