Photo

Do You Write Past The Right Hand Margin?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Write Past The Right Hand Margin? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Where do you stop writing?

1. The margin (32 votes [50.79%])

Percentage of vote: 50.79%

2. The end of the paper (31 votes [49.21%])

Percentage of vote: 49.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 bdk

bdk

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:41

In formal writing for work, forms, etc. I respect the margin as much as possible. Unless I made a mistake in estimating how much space the last word of the rule would take the margin stays clean. I have always learned to respect the margin in school, for the purposes you mention (correcting, grading).
In my journals (that have no printed margin line, they're Rhodia's) I use a very small left margin and often no margin at all on the right side...
My website about classical music
Website is in English

#32 exdevlin

exdevlin

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 22:12

No right hand margins on most of the paper in the UK!

I'll vouch for that.

The paper I grew up writing on has a definite left-hand starting margin, but the right-hand margin isn't explicitly printed on the paper. If your paper was thin enough, you could see the left-hand margin on the other side of the page, and were you resourceful enough to have noticed that, you could use it as your stopping point. For the most part, I remember going through public school seeing lots of other schoolmates writing all the way to the end of the page.

Personally, I think it looks rude and untidy, so I've always stopped an estimated margin's width away from the edge of the page.
Posted Image

#33 bemyhorcrux

bemyhorcrux

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:32

If you weren't intended to write past the right margin, they'd make it as obvious and distinct as the left margin. Since whether it's even there at all depends on what paper you're using (I'm used to the see-thru left margin acting as a right margin as above, or no margin at all on legal pads), clearly it's down to personal choice where you stop.

I sometimes go too far and have to bend long words, because I just can't stand sticking a hyphen in - just admit you screwed up and overshot, rather than trying to say "I meant to do that, really!", when your word won't fit your space.
Safari collector, italic nib and cheap pen evangelist.
Wanted: De Atramentis Magic Alchemist (also Magic Boarding School or Wizard)

#34 ziptrickhead

ziptrickhead

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:46

I've always written to the end of the page. Not necessarily the very end because I'll usually save maybe a centimeter on the right side. When I was going to school, my loose leaf never had a real right margin. I did find that a lot of people would stop at a margin but I think it's because they were actually seeing the margin on the backside of the paper (cheap, thin loose leaf paper), but there wasn't a real right hand margin on the writing side.

I've always honored the left hand margin though since that's where the holes were punched. I have seen people write on the entire sheet, ignoring margins all together but I always thought it was messy to be writing right up against the punched holes.
My Pens: Lamy 2000 EF / Safari EF, F, B, 1.1 | Pelikan M600 F / M650 F | Montblanc 146 M | Visconti Homo Sapiens midi F | Sheaffer Balance II F, M | Waterman Charleston M | Waterman 92 | Pilot Custom 74 M / Prera F | Edison Collier F | TWSBI Vac700 F / Mini EF | Parker 51 M / 21 M | Noodler's Flex Nib Creaper

#35 Kuryaka

Kuryaka

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 15:53

I like the symmetry of having margins on both sides of the paper. It also lets you squeeze in a few words or edits if you've forgotten something important. That said, I just blow through it when I'm using paper for any purposes other than writing paragraphs. Two-column charts, math homework, and possibly science homework goes into the right margin.

The left margin is always kept. I use spiral notebook paper, which doesn't have that much of a left margin to write in anyway.

#36 Penguin.

Penguin.

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 16:37

For me it was whatever the teacher's preference was. My English teacher didn't like it, so I didn't do it in her class. History teacher didn't care. For notes, it was whatever I wanted (I'd write into it). But NEVER into the left hand margin. Unless, of course, for notes - occasionally for like sidenotes or references or something.:)
"You know, fire is the leading cause of fire." -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

"Inflammable means flammable!?..." -Dr. Nick Riviera

#37 redhairedwriter

redhairedwriter

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:55

In general, I abide by the margins. Especially with my academic writings and and when writing letters on paper with margins. It just looks better. However my academic research notebooks really only have the left-hand margin consistently free. Sometimes I do write into the right-hand margin just so I can maximize my notebooks. I'm a research student so I go through a lot of them, and if I can squeeze a few more words onto a page I will in a heartbeat -- even though I don't like how it looks.

But, in general, I love margins! They keep everything controlled and, as you said, provide necessary space for notes and editing marks.
'I dip my pen into the blackest ink, because I am not afraid of falling into my inkpot.' ~Ralph Waldo Emerson