Photo

What Is Your Favorite 'big Four' German Pen Maker?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite German Pen Company (303 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite German pen manufacturer?

1. Lamy (67 votes [22.19%])

Percentage of vote: 22.19%

2. Montblanc (58 votes [19.21%])

Percentage of vote: 19.21%

3. Pelikan (160 votes [52.98%])

Percentage of vote: 52.98%

4. Graf von Faber-Castell (17 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Joker4Eva

Joker4Eva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:02

Because most people don't know them well enough or never had one to make an informed decision.

Their designs just doesn't appeal to me, hence me not picking them. Granted, they might make good nibs, but when I look for a new pen, it's first how they look, and next their filling mechanism.

I have a Lamy Vista & a Geha School pen. Neither really inspire me.
The engineering on the Lamy is amazing, but as a pen it's not great.
The Geha is nice to write with, but I hate fine nibs, and it has one.

So, I really have no idea which manufacturer I prefer.

Regards,

Richard.

:yikes:
I love my Geha! But I guess it's something like "To each his own". I write everyday with my fine nibs, due to my tiny handwriting, hence the need for fine nibs.

#62 Silent Speaker

Silent Speaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:53

Because most people don't know them well enough or never had one to make an informed decision.

It is a bit of a pity, as they do make some nice pens - at least I've discovered this with the few that I've managed to try. But for my part I just haven't been able to have the hands on time I'd like that I've had with the other makes.

In my case, I've only been able to view and try GvFC (and the ordinary FC) when I go to other countries whereas the others are readily available (with the exception of poor Pelikan, which closed it's office here last year).

I've noticed that the Faber Castell brand ("Graf" line or otherwise) doesn't get much play around here at all, at least not when compared to the other ones mentioned who have their own forums here and even Lamy, whose domain is this very Writing Instruments general section. Makes me wonder if they're difficult to get a hold of elsewhere in the world too, at least compared to the others.

I laughed when Jar called his review of a bunch of GvFC's "The Other German Pens".

That's what they feel like - the other maker that seems to get forgotten in discussions of German pens (and that's not even counting the smaller Diplomat and whatever's left of Senator).

#63 VirtuThe3rd

VirtuThe3rd

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:21

I rely on Pelikan the best. :)

VirtuThe3rd

My primary topic : Masters of the fountain pen (Videos with English subtitles)

*Please feel free to comment on my topic! :vbg:

[ The Fountain Pen Tube ]

#64 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:41

Interestingly whenever I use a GvFC, while it doesn't scream "I'm really expensive!!", people know it's a nice pen.
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#65 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:13

I laughed when Jar called his review of a bunch of GvFC's "The Other German Pens".

That's what they feel like - the other maker that seems to get forgotten in discussions of German pens (and that's not even counting the smaller Diplomat and whatever's left of Senator).

Diplomat is another marque that I believe is under-appreciated; it's still run by the original family, has a long history and so far every one of the Diplomat pens I've owned has been well made, super reliable with great feel and balance and very smooth nibs.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#66 lurker

lurker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 21:01

I happened upon this thread by accident. I've been considering a Lamy 2000 but people in this thread keep leaning toward Pelikan. To people that are voting Pelikan, what model(s) are you using? I'd like to think a M200 and a M1000 are going to have different qualities so it would be like comparing apples and oranges. But for Lamy, most people are referring back to the 2000. I would love to hear some input, thanks!

#67 ronw

ronw

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 21:15

I happened upon this thread by accident. I've been considering a Lamy 2000 but people in this thread keep leaning toward Pelikan. To people that are voting Pelikan, what model(s) are you using? I'd like to think a M200 and a M1000 are going to have different qualities so it would be like comparing apples and oranges. But for Lamy, most people are referring back to the 2000. I would love to hear some input, thanks!

For me, the major difference in the Pelikan pens is size - some fit my hand better, some not quite as well (for example, my wife's M320 is just TINY!). Otherwise, all of the Pelikans we own (including vintage) are very well made, solid performers, excellent nibs, and tend to write very well out of the box (though tuning for dryer/wetter for personal preference can make a Pelikan that much better). There is some difference in nib feel as well; the larger nibs are more comfortable for me because they have a bit of give - but not everyone likes that, so can't really give you much advice on that.

But my overall advice is pretty simple: try out different sizes in a shop or with friends who one one, if at all possible. Then pick a design you like, and go!
Ron Wodaski

wodaski.com

#68 lurker

lurker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:17

For me, the major difference in the Pelikan pens is size - some fit my hand better, some not quite as well (for example, my wife's M320 is just TINY!). Otherwise, all of the Pelikans we own (including vintage) are very well made, solid performers, excellent nibs, and tend to write very well out of the box (though tuning for dryer/wetter for personal preference can make a Pelikan that much better). There is some difference in nib feel as well; the larger nibs are more comfortable for me because they have a bit of give - but not everyone likes that, so can't really give you much advice on that.

But my overall advice is pretty simple: try out different sizes in a shop or with friends who one one, if at all possible. Then pick a design you like, and go!

Thanks for the advice!

#69 landrover

landrover

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 19:03

Its a difficult choice, but its Pelikan by a short head. Having said that, Lamy, particularly
the 2000 cannot be faulted. And I adore my MBs, especially the 149s.

#70 Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh

NACHOOOOOO!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:20

FWIW I asked a 25 year employee of a NYC pen shop what the best quality, most reliable FP pen is....she said "just get a Pelikan" She was NOT a salesman...

In another "well known" NYC pen shop, I was told by the manager that the Pelikan 800 is the most popular FP worldwide. Had to do with quality, reliability and the option to change nibs.

and in Chicago, I posed the same question to the owner of that pen shop and he said Pelikan, followed closely by Pilot VP.

I own Pelikan, Lamy and MB. I like them all. My personal favorites are my M1050 and MB 146 solitaire.
"The truth shall set you free..." John 8:32
"When in doubt, tell the truth.." Mark Twain

#71 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,442 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:20

Are there reliable stats showing the number of purchases of German pens costing over USD $500?

I'd assume MB takes the vast majority....

#72 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,442 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:21

MB without question once you can afford to buy them.

#73 FlyFast

FlyFast

Be kind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2013 - 17:00

Lamy, Pelikan, MB, in that order. I've never seen a GvFC in person.

I love my Lamy 2000 EF because it has the smoothest nib I've ever used. I also like its unobtrusive appearance. The Safaris are nice and I find their nibs and value to be outstanding.

I really like Pelikans, especially their wonderful piston mechanisms.

My first fountain pen was a MB 147 and I found it to be all style and no substance. That experience was repeated with about three other modern MBs. I sold them all. The only MB I've liked and continue to use is a vintage MB 22 with an OM nib. Very nice.

Edited by FlyFast, 22 March 2013 - 20:06.

#74 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• 16,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2013 - 17:29

Even though Montblanc has become the Louis Vuitton of pens, they are still my favorite German brand. I think Graf von Faber-Castell makes some of the best quality pens money can buy but I have not found one yet that was overly comfortable to use. I have sweaty hands (gross I know) so a metal grip (which Graf Vons have) is a black mark in my book.

Also, are you aware that in the GvFC Classic series you can order your pen with the plated section, a Sterling silver section or a Resin section?

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#75 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,892 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2013 - 00:54

For me MB is number 1. I love the nibs and the styling is top notch.
" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#76 Audit This

Audit This

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:21

GvFC- Understated, much more reasonably basque to quality, and extremely underrated. To top it off, everyone just knows it is a nice pen and it is not a MB. The also make fantastic mechanical pencile which is a plus.

#77 Audit This

Audit This

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:21

Double tap

Edited by Audit This, 23 March 2013 - 05:22.

#78 msnovtue

msnovtue

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:52

Hmmm...interesting.

I voted for Pelikan, as that is about 90% of my collection. They are exactly what I want and expect in a pen, especially a German pen: classic styling, ease of use, reliable, and a consistently excellent performance.

That said, I've never tried a MB, although I'm very curious to. I have a single FC (not GvFC) Basic in carbon fiber, and it is a fantastic pen. It's my go-to for permanent inks; great writer, super-smooth nib, but not so expensive I will want to shoot myself if it gets messed up
Lamy look great and I've heard wonderful things about them, but I prefer the vintage look in my pens.

I think we call all pretty much agree they all make fantastic pens. I'm new to the hobby, and have only been collecting a year or so. I am eager to branch out. :)

However, I am a long time German car lover, so here's my impressions so far:

Lamy = Volkswagen. Great for beginners, reliable, reasonably priced, and enough to get you interested.

GvFC=Audi. High performance, consistently reliable, but not as well known and the styling may not be for everyone.

MB= Maybach. Solid underpinnings, never disappointing in performance, but definitely aimed at the elite with money to burn.

Pelikan = Mercedes-Benz. The Best of all options. Rock solid performance, classic styling, many options for many tastes, and durable enough your grandchildren will likely still have it & love it.

(P.S. If anyone has a MB they'd like to loan me.... :ltcapd: )
1988 Mercedes-Benz 260E

"Nothing will make a driver more faithful to a car than a car that is faithful to its driver."

#79 MME

MME

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 19:40

Ofcourse Pelikan :thumbup: .I have a M600 and i love it!

#80 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:30

As a college student, it's Lamy for me. They're on the cheaper side, can take a beating and hold a good ink amount. I haven't had one not perform well for me yet.

I'm not a college student, but that doesn't mean I can afford MBs or the middle to higher range Pelikans. Never tried a GvFC, but the designs don't do much for me. I've owned a few cheaper Pels, but found them all really quite utilitarian and dull. My MB149 is just about to go up for sale. I never use it and I can't afford to have that kind of money tied up in an ornament. Besides, my Safaris actually write better.

#81 hendrixstrat

hendrixstrat

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 22:46

I voted Pelikan because I love my M800. Granted I have not used a GvFC nor a Lamy, but I have used a MB 149 (my dad owns one) and it is a very nice pen as well. I suspect I would end up ranking them Pelikan, MB, GvFC, and then Lamy (ranking GvFC and Lamy purely on aesthetics as I have never used one).
Pelikan M800 - Green, M (want to trade for a F!)
TWSBI 540 - Amber, M
Bexley Corona - Orange, M
Parker Duofold Centennial - Black, M
Esterbrook LJ - Black, Gregg 1555 (EEF)
Parker 21 - Navy Blue, M
Sailor 1911 Large - Black, M

#82 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 23:23

Pelikan all the way for me. Beautiful, reliable, and relatively affordable.

PELIKAN 100N, M101N Brown Tortoise, M101N Lizard, 120 (I), 120 (II), 130 Ibis, 140, 140, 140, M75, M75, M100, M100, M100, M100, M100, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M215, M215, M215, M215, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M481, M481, 400, 400NN, 400NN, M400, M400, M400, M405, M405, M425, M600, M600, M640, M800, M800

My Flock in Pictures

Pelikan M100-250 Variations

#83 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 11,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2013 - 15:02

Hmmm...interesting.

I voted for Pelikan, as that is about 90% of my collection. They are exactly what I want and expect in a pen, especially a German pen: classic styling, ease of use, reliable, and a consistently excellent performance.

That said, I've never tried a MB, although I'm very curious to. I have a single FC (not GvFC) Basic in carbon fiber, and it is a fantastic pen. It's my go-to for permanent inks; great writer, super-smooth nib, but not so expensive I will want to shoot myself if it gets messed up
Lamy look great and I've heard wonderful things about them, but I prefer the vintage look in my pens.

I think we call all pretty much agree they all make fantastic pens. I'm new to the hobby, and have only been collecting a year or so. I am eager to branch out. :smile:

Lamy = Volkswagen. Great for beginners, reliable, reasonably priced, and enough to get you interested.

GvFC=Audi. High performance, consistently reliable, but not as well known and the styling may not be for everyone.

MB= Maybach. Solid underpinnings, never disappointing in performance, but definitely aimed at the elite with money to burn.

Pelikan = Mercedes-Benz. The Best of all options. Rock solid performance, classic styling, many options for many tastes, and durable enough your grandchildren will likely still have it & love it.

(P.S. If anyone has a MB they'd like to loan me.... :lticaptd: )

Good car comparison :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#84 UncleNick

UncleNick

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2013 - 20:34

This is a tough call!

My Lamy 2000 with a fantastic medium stubby nib switched from a Lamy 99 is my everyday pocket pen. Great line variation for a hooded nib.

One of my favorite nibs was a Montblanc 14 - beautifully smooth and wet (I stupidly sold it to finance a pen I turned out to loathe!). My 149, 147, 146 nibs are ok but when I get my act together they will be sold.

My Pelikan M800 is superbly reliable but the nib is firm and extremely boring. However, I have a MK20 which is a real pleasure to use - a little spring, great flow and a piston filler to boot.

Based upon today, this very minute - Lamy, Pelikan, Montblanc though it is very close. So many variations of pens and styles within a brand it is hard to do a single brand justice.

#85 Rose Nibs

Rose Nibs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 21:37

In an attempt to compare like with like I have considered my Lamy 2000, Pelikan M200, Montblanc Carrera and Faber Castell Emotion. All good pens, but the one I use most is the Pelikan

#86 jcable

jcable

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 23:21

I have 3 Montblancs, they are okay but not great. The pen that started it for me was Pelikan 200/250/205/400/405... I have 16 now and they are probably my favorite. That being said I love my Lamy 2000 (I have 9 Lamys). I think the Lamy 2000 is the best deal out there and also probably the most understated pen of them all. I find the prices of Pelikans to be out of control. The 200 was great as a first nice pen to get people hooked when they could be had for $60 dollars... but the prices of the 200 and Lamy 2000 should not be equivalent now. Pelikan is my favorite but they have priced me out of the market..

#87 logantrky

logantrky

Inky Preacher

• Moderators

• 837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:11

I voted. MB. Next would be Pelikan, then Lamy.

MontBlancLogo.png

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -Oscar Wilde

#88 larsbj

larsbj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:35

Pelikan. Smooth, elegant and consistent writers. I currently have a 600 F (partial to the fpgeeks which convinced me to buy it. Haven't used it much, its a little too small for me), 640 Sahara M nib, 800 Fine, 805 Medium, 1000 Broad. Last three are always inked. Oh  yes, and a vintage M400 OB.

I also have a MB146 and have used it quite a lot earlier, and while it is stylish and elegant it is also a litte boring (no offense). Lamy is ok, even though i like the nib on the Safari but hate the section. And a L2K which I'm a little disappointed over (an XF).

Never owned or tried a GvFC, but they look good.

Favorite of the day: My new Edison Nouveau Premiere LE in macassar ebonite, 1.1 stub

#89 cadfael_tex

cadfael_tex

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2013 - 20:16

Hmmm...interesting.

I think we call all pretty much agree they all make fantastic pens. I'm new to the hobby, and have only been collecting a year or so. I am eager to branch out. :smile:

(P.S. If anyone has a MB they'd like to loan me.... :lticaptd: )

Not sure about the Pelikan equals Mercedes comparison, my Pelikans have been good writers and not poorly engineered pieces of junk. (Still bitter about a new c class I bought that was a total lemon lol)

I only have experience with Lamy (2000 and Safaris) and Pelikan (M205, M215, 140). Haven't liked the feel of the Lamy nibs but the Pelikans have been my favorite writers.

#90 Offret

Offret

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:04

I can't get over Pelikan's design, so they're my favorite. But I do appreciate the design of the other three.

x2.

Pelikan is the quintessential European fountain pen--for me at least.