What Is Your Favorite 'big Four' German Pen Maker?

superfreeka

Favorite German Pen Company  

350 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite German pen manufacturer?

• Lamy
    • Montblanc
    • Pelikan
    • Graf von Faber-Castell

Personally, I am partial to Pelikan. I love Lamy's designs, but have had bad luck in the nib department. Graf von Faber-Castell is growing on me. I appreciate Montblanc, but I feel they are overpriced.

How 'bout choo?

Edited by superfreeka

Deodorant can't fix ugly.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• humsin

• Joker4Eva

• jar

• ronw

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get over Pelikan's design, so they're my favorite. But I do appreciate the design of the other three.

Edited by i.like.whiskey

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

My favorite pen is the MB in my signature, my smoothest writer is probably one of my Lamy Studios but my favorite overall feel is my M1000... So I have to vote for Pelikan. Only just got my first Faber Castel and haven't inked it yet so I can't comment.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Even though Montblanc has become the Louis Vuitton of pens, they are still my favorite German brand. I think Graf von Faber-Castell makes some of the best quality pens money can buy but I have not found one yet that was overly comfortable to use. I have sweaty hands (gross I know) so a metal grip (which Graf Vons have) is a black mark in my book.

I have had pens belonging to the four brands. The most expensive one being my M149, which is of medium value compared to other MB pens…. but I do believe the nib is basically the same. Faber Castel, I loved the nib but the pen was not ergonomical at all for me. I hated it. You can love a nib but if you can't hold the pen…

MB has been a mixed experience for me: a disastrous Bohème (a good nib but the rest was sheer trouble), a 146 F nib that was like a sharp nail. Then the 149 M nib that I love and a ground F italic nib to a “fixed” Bohème (without that fastidious mechanism) that is one of my favorites.

Having over-expanded the point above headsmack.gif, I will briefly say Pelikans have been the most consistent in quality at a “modest” price. That’s why I voted for them. The exchangeable nib is a super-plus.

happyberet.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Soennecken, :notworthy1: have only a nib. :headsmack:

Kaweco :notworthy1: ...only one.

Pre and to mid '50's Reform...have one and one he made for another company.

Got a real nice Luxor.

Got only one Tropen...a nail like Lamy.

You are missing more than a few German pen companies.

My # 1 pen is a '55 MB 234 1/2 Deluxe semi-flex KOB.

#2 400NN

I have more Pelikans than MB so I'll go with Pelikan...prefer vintage and semi-vintage to modern....

Got more Lamy than MB too.

Want a Soennecken 111/222 in Herring bone or Lizard. The best pen made in the '50's and that includes the 146/9.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Personally, I am partial to Pelikan. I love Lamy's designs, but have had bad luck in the nib department. Graf von Faber-Castell is growing on me. I appreciate Montblanc, but I feel they are overpriced.

How 'bout choo?

I'm also a Pelikan fan. I have an M800, and several vintage Pelikan 400s. My wife has a Pelikan M320 that is a delight as well.

They all write very smoothly (with nibs from Steno to M in our possession). All are beautiful items, well made, that function with precision and reliability.

I've also got an older Montblanc that I like, but the Pelikan pens feel so right in my hand. :-)

Ron Wodaski

<hr>

<a href='http://wodaski.com'>wodaski.com</a>

Pelikan. I tried all the others first and found that when I finally picked up a Pelikan, there was no going back. I still give full marks to the design of the Lamy 2000, but it just doesn't live up to expectations in my hands in terms of smoothness - I have always found Lamy nibs hit and miss. I like a harder nib and would also put in a mention for my Kaweco sport, as well as for its very clever design.

But, literally every time I pick up my Pelikans, I am reminded of why I love them so much. The versatility of the nib exchange, the huge capacity of the piston fill, the beauty of the design... I also like the fact that you can carry around a high end quality pen every day, but it remains understated (to non-fountain pen users, maybe!). Everywhere I go I take a Souveran M625 Dark Blue, a Majesty M7005 and a couple spare nibs to share between them and feel that I can enjoy writing in style without feeling conspicuous. Life is too short!

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give - Winston Churchill

Soennecken, :notworthy1: have only a nib. :headsmack:

Kaweco :notworthy1: ...only one.

Pre and to mid '50's Reform...have one and one he made for another company.

Got a real nice Luxor.

Got only one Tropen...a nail like Lamy.

You are missing more than a few German pen companies.

My # 1 pen is a '55 MB 234 1/2 Deluxe semi-flex KOB.

#2 400NN

I have more Pelikans than MB so I'll go with Pelikan...prefer vintage and semi-vintage to modern....

Got more Lamy than MB too.

Want a Soennecken 111/222 in Herring bone or Lizard. The best pen made in the '50's and that includes the 146/9.

Those pens just aren't too famous outside Germany, seeing that they've closed down. :crybaby:

Darn Pelikan. Buying over Geha and closing them down. Me is sad.

But I still love Pelikans. Their designs are timeless and I like that. But Lamy is nice as their flagship model is waaaaaay cheaper than Pelikan's. Comparing a Lamy 2000 and a Pelikan M1000 by price? Yeah right...

Even though Montblanc has become the Louis Vuitton of pens, they are still my favorite German brand. I think Graf von Faber-Castell makes some of the best quality pens money can buy but I have not found one yet that was overly comfortable to use. I have sweaty hands (gross I know) so a metal grip (which Graf Vons have) is a black mark in my book.

Fondle a GvFC wood Intuition.

I Have or have had at least one from each company. Plus pens from many other German manufacturers.

If I had to be honest I would pick none of those four as the one I like best / think is best.

But as I have to play along I will choose Pelikan. That's the company most here in Germany associate with "fountain pen".

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

In all fairness, I have never held or used a GVFC, but among the other three MB is my choice.

To be honest I am surprised to see Pelikan so far ahead with votes. Maybe I just had back luck with the two I used to own.

I gave one to an old Army friend and my daughter liberated the other from the pen box she gave me for Christmas while home for the Holidays.

Fondle a GvFC wood Intuition.

That must be a newer model. I will say though it still doesn't look overly comfortable but I should probably hold it before I pass judgement.

I said Pelikan cause I have more of them, but I have ALMOST as many old Montblancs and love them as well. Don't have a Lamy, suppose I should try one if I can find a piston filler? (Did they make these?) The modern ones don't really do much for me. I do have an Osmia pen coming that I believe is from after their aquisition by Graf van Faber, so we'll see what I think of it!

Don't have a Lamy, suppose I should try one if I can find a piston filler? (Did they make these?)

Lamy 27

Lamy 30

Lamy ratio line:

Lamy 44

Lamy 46

Lamy 47

Lamy 49

Lamy Profil line:

Lamy 80

Lamy 81

Lamy 86

Lamy 99

Lamy 2000 (the only current pistonfiller)

plus more

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

My choice is purely sentimental, therefore capricious by some standards. My first "real" pen was a Meisterstuck Classique ballpoint, given to me in 1991. Fountain pens came later, of course, and my love affair with MB design has been the preeminent one for 20-plus ears now.

Edited by Maelstrom