#1 Salerno_AFG

Salerno_AFG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:55

Can someone please ID this Parker pen? I have done alot of research but everything is not adding up. Every Parker Deluxe Challenger I look at that has 3 rings on the barrel does not have the same clip, is this a transitional model between 1935 to 1937 when the solid band was introduced with this clip design? Every earlier model I find has the ball clip with 3 rings. Thanks for your help.

Posted Image
**************************************************************************************
Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution
**************************************************************************************

#2 Buzz J

Buzz J

If you don't fall down, you're not having enough fun.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:37

Two points to consider.

1. Clips are very easy to change. Your spear clip could easily be a replacement.

2. Transitions between features weren't necessarily crisp. They could ooze through a transition to use up old parts. We often see Parkers with features from two model lines.

To sum, your pen could have come from the factory or a repair workbench - it's impossible to absolutely know. Regardless, it's a charming old pen that I personally would accept as is.

John
so many pens, so little time.......

#3 icardoth

icardoth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:57

What does the barrel engraving say? Does it say "Challenger"? I have the same exact pen in gray, but the engraving says only "PARKER", with no model name. So, my pen is not a Challenger but a Depression, also called Thrift Time.

#4 Eccles

Eccles

Growing old disgracefully.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 00:51

Can someone please ID this Parker pen? I have done alot of research but everything is not adding up. Every Parker Deluxe Challenger I look at that has 3 rings on the barrel does not have the same clip, is this a transitional model between 1935 to 1937 when the solid band was introduced with this clip design? Every earlier model I find has the ball clip with 3 rings. Thanks for your help.

Posted Image

If you haven't already, check out Fountain Pens of the World, the plate on page 85, 3rd pen from the left in the top row; slender de luxe Challenger. To me, it looks very similar.

Regards,
Glenn.

#5 Salerno_AFG

Salerno_AFG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:17

The Imprint says Parker Deluxe Challenger
Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution