Design Your Own Pen! I Want To Hear Your Thoughts!

Bryant

So there have been many threads on what would be your perfect pen. I know I personally have started one or two over the years. But over the years Ive developed great relationships with the Pen Makers and Distributors. So most of the time, the threads are dream pens, I would like to actually hear what you would actually want.

Of the Italian Pens I sell, Delta and Stipula are the most open to do projects for me, because of the volume of LE projects I do with them. Stipula in particular is very open and its a pretty much "anything goes", with in reason of course. They are very open minded and willing to try new things.

Just to give you an example of a few things they have done.

Faceted Etruria

Wood pens

Many overlays/Demos

Specialized clips with any motif

Carbon Fiber Pens

Leather pens (in the works now)

And they are willing to do sizes and use materials/styles/finishes that they have never used in the past.

Visconti and Omas are open to projects, but the minimums are quite high and can be a large hurdle at times. Both are ussually about the hundred mark, and if its too good an idea, well then you see it at a much larger scaleglare.gif. And they normally only want to do as shape done in the past. Delta is open to change and do different shapes, but its a little harder to convince.

So, I would love to hear what you would actually want.

A few guidelines on what would be most helpful. Of course, does not have to limit to these things though.

-Nib (Gold, Titanium, Fusion, palladium?)

-Base Material (Celluloid, Resin, Wood, Overlay, Painted, Demo?...)

-Filling System

-Trim (gold Vermeil, silver, Steel, does this matter as much as the pen itself you?)

-Shape, Size, Weight

-Trim Style (Classic, Motif, clipless?)

-Price point (I was not going to put this, but I think its a realistic question for what a pen is being offered for)

So have fun with it! I am all about giving my customers exactly what they want! So if I can design the perfect pen for you, it would be my honor!

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• ele

• Bryant

• mongrelnomad

A mottled / woodgrain hard rubber Delta lever filler with a Ti nib, similar in size and style to the windows LE.

Iechyd da pob Cymro

Hi,

I'm part of a very niche market for little pens, but I'd like a pen around the length of an Aurora Optima mini with the width of a Pelikan M300. It should

Be self-filling like a vacuum filler, lever-fill, or piston. Lever fill with a clear barrel and clear silicone sac would be very cool to look at.

Solid metal trim

Have no trim at the section lip

Be balanced

Made of resin or plastic mostly

Have a stiff non-steel nib

Have an ink view window of some kind

Be made in a selection of colors

Post with screw threads so that people with larger hands can use it.

Have a screw cap.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Titanium nib

Hard rubber--molted (red--like a vintage waterman's)

Dunn filler (like a vacumatic without that darn diaphragm)

I think silver-colored trim would look nice

Shape: Vintage OMAS Round style...not the ogiva but the 1930's model's shape.

Size: Pelikan 400 size

A simple ring on the cap.

$250 or somewhere around there.

Clip would be cool if it was a roller clip.

Here's the shape: post-63473-0-02472500-1299793883.jpg

Edited by ele

I'd like to see some different ideas for nibs. Using nibs whose thickness differs from base to tip to get flexibility out of cheaper materials. Steel nibs could flex a lot more if you designed the thickness and shape for flexibility. Modern CAD software has structural analysis tools that would help greatly.

Offering pens with two ink chambers to allow for "real-time" ink mixing maybe a valve to adjust the amount of each color...

Maybe offer a variation on the calligraphy sets with nibs of differing flexibility rather than different widths.

My main thing that would make me buy is lower price. Blister pak pens are a core part of my collection, so a great nib on a simple rugged body would be great.

For the Italian companies, see if they can do a faceted barrel with each facet featuring the micromosaics that Italians did as tourist trinkets in the latter part of the 19th century.

Size and weight of the MB 149

No steps in the barrel

ink view window

silver colored trim

Length of the MB 149 when posted--sometimes larger pens do not take into consideration their posted length and if it is too log it is unbalanced and no good.

Ebonite

I love a Chased pattern

Should hold a good amount of ink.

14k nib a must so I can add flex if I so choose.

Something more minimal like a Danitrio or Sailor King of Pen would be nice-less is more!--less of a price then a Dani or KOP would also be nice!

Eyedropper filler with shut off valve

Bryant the Delta that I bought at the Philly show has most these things going for it--I got 18/23 of a very dark blue, piston filler--silver trim--I never got the name of the pen from you though--you had them in many colors.

This is fun!

www.stevelightart.com

Wohoo! this project sounds exciting.

I think my favorite deisng out of any italian pens was the Visconti Divina Proportione.

I had it for about a year now and is the only pen that I have always kept that special feeling towards ever since.

Nib: Gold or palladium

Base material: a demo Divina OR all metal divina! (shiny silver or matt ti with silver overlay swirl)

Filling system: similar to the other Divinas

Price point: I think the divinas cost a bit more...and if it is all metal I expect it would be a decent amount of $$...but I think I might be convinced to pay for one. Around ~1200 I am guessing?

Also if you decide to do another run of Visconti Ripples with different materials/trims that would be just awesome :)

thank you Bry for always keeping us on our toes!

Edited by Mkim

Gold or steel nib.

Size of MB 234 1/2 to 136.

Cylindrical. body with slightly domed screw cap that posts well.

No step to the barrel.

Concave section around 11.5 to 12.5 mm diameter and about 25-30 mm long.

Celluloid body.

Preferably C/C using international standard.

Simple spring loaded clip.

MUST have stub or BBB nib.

My Website

I'd love a slightly larger (mostly thicker) version of Stipula's Modello T with the T-flex nib...except I'd like the nib tipping as a fine stub instead of a boring old round M. As for filling system, I'm fine with the CC/eyedropper. As for color, I'd love a gloss black body with a little carbon fiber on the cap ring and perhaps near the clip.

Cheers,

NM

Wohoo! this project sounds exciting.

I think my favorite deisng out of any italian pens was the Visconti Divina Proportione.

I had it for about a year now and is the only pen that I have always kept that special feeling towards ever since.

Nib: Gold or palladium

Base material: a demo Divina OR all metal divina! (shiny silver or matt ti with silver overlay swirl)

Filling system: similar to the other Divinas

Price point: I think the divinas cost a bit more...and if it is all metal I expect it would be a decent amount of $$...but I think I might be convinced to pay for one. Around ~1200 I am guessing?

Also if you decide to do another run of Visconti Ripples with different materials/trims that would be just awesome :)

thank you Bry for always keeping us on our toes!

That would be an awesome pen!! I sure would get one if I had that sort of money! +1000! :notworthy1:

Here's one that could be easy for Omas to create--an Ogiva in Saffron Blue

or Arco Green with a sterling silver overlay having a barleycorn pattern to

it? Obviously it would have a piston filler,smooth capband(w/greek key pat-

tern to it,of course),sterling silver clip(diamond pattern like the old pattern),

and Extra Lucens or Flessible nib. Could be offered in both smooth and faceted

models.

On second thought,drop the Saffron Blue and just go with Arco Green............:puddle:: :puddle: :puddle:

John

Edited by sumgaikid

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

tern to it,of course),sterling silver clip(diamond pattern like the old pattern),

models.

On second thought,drop the Saffron Blue and just go with Arco Green............:puddle:: :puddle: :puddle:

John

Where would the overlay not be?

No steps in the barrel

ink view window

silver colored trim

Length of the MB 149 when posted--sometimes larger pens do not take into consideration their posted length and if it is too log it is unbalanced and no good.

Ebonite

I love a Chased pattern

Something more minimal like a Danitrio or Sailor King of Pen would be nice-less is more!--less of a price then a Dani or KOP would also be nice!

Bryant the Delta that I bought at the Philly show has most these things going for it--I got 18/23 of a very dark blue, piston filler--silver trim--I never got the name of the pen from you though--you had them in many colors.

This is fun!

WOW ... I like the way you think !!!!

Ill add that with the ink view window could be something more then just a section of clear... maybe something like the Visconti Divina Springs LE but not as in your face so it wont detract from the whole pen.

models.

John

On the section and just behind it,like their sterling silver Ogiva(I have

one). On the faceted model,the wheel on the clip could be made of

the same arco material. The pen could also have three s/s cap rings

on the non-faceted barrel like the MoMA Ogiva.

Still like the idea of the diamond clip in front of the barleycorn pattern...............

John

Edited by sumgaikid

models.

John

On the section and just behind it,like their sterling silver Ogiva(I have

one). On the faceted model,the wheel on the clip could be made of

the same arco material.

Still like the idea of the diamond clip in front of the barleycorn pattern...............

John

Ah. Sounds interesting.

No steps in the barrel

ink view window

silver colored trim

Ebonite

I love a Chased pattern

This is fun!

+1 and I am OK with the Eyedroppers but would like it to be convertible to a convertor as I like to switch inks frequently so smaller at times is better for me, and having the option of going bigger with the Eyedroppers for trips etc would be a big plus.

I'll take mine in green!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Having just acquired one of your Delta Prodigio I with its huge nib, I would definitely go for another in some sort of cool celluloid, e.g. the Visconti Digeridoo/Titanic, wood burl (Divina Proporzione, Omas Paragon) or stacked Wall Street LE/Cosmopolitan. Perhaps with an ink window too, that would complete it! :thumbup:

An MB 139 yellow demonstrator w/ plunger filler(like the one you're

selling on consignment in the classifieds) would be nice............:puddle:

John

Ok, let's start with what I'd like to see from your collaboration with Delta. To keep costs down I'll be sticking to pieces used in previous Deltas.

Nib: the #8 in 14K gold. I wouldn't mind a steel or titanium nib; however, I've only seen the #8 nib in gold.

Base Material: I like marbled and cracked ice paterns. The nicest examples I've seen have all been celluloids; however, I'm open to acrylic and other resins as well. I would welcome a redux of the red/orange celluloid used on the Circo Grande. For more conservative options I like the black and grey striated celluloid of the Argento Grigio and the Mottled dark grey of the Tuareg. Or for something less expensive the (acrylic?) resins used on the Delta 82.

Filling System: Piston. Delta make my favourite piston filler.

Trim: It must be coloured to match the nib and resin. Either dual tone (Rhodium + Yellow Gold) or matching single colour nib works with silver (Silver, Rhodium, Platinum, etc.) or Yellow Gold trim. I like a matching single colour nib with Rose Gold or Ruthenium trim (a custom dual tone nib could work; however, I doubt that's feasible). I'm not too picky about trim material. Stainless steel and Titanium are best for durability. Plated silver is nice, but plated Bronze, Brass, etc. is OK too so long as the plating is thick and durable.

Trim Style: I don't like Delta's standard thick decorated plus thin cap bands. I much prefere the dual decorated bands found on the Classico Grande and several of your other collaborations with Delta. I also like the single decorated band used on the Marmo Veneto. I think the standard Dolce Vita clip looks cheap and detracts from the aesthetics of the pens it's used on. I'd prefere a curved clip as found on the Papillon, or even the Roma Imperiale clip.

Shape, Size, Weight: A body based on the Dolce Vita Piston or Oversized, or the Roma Imperiale would be nice. I'd like an untapered cap, or better yet a slightly wasp waisted cap like the one on the Marmo Veneto. Flat topped if using a Dolce Vita body, round topped if using the Roma Imperiale body.

Price: I would expect a (discounted) price in the $600 range like the previous #8 nibbed piston filling Deltas. Perhaps a bit more for celluloid or a bit less for acrylic. I doubt it would be possible to profitably make and sell what I'm asking for at a lower price.

EDIT: unplated bronze trim with a rose gold nib is another option I like.

Edited by raging.dragon