The Pilot Somes Collection Of Leather Pen Cases

penmanila

i couldn't resist picking up one of these yummy leather treats on ebay (i got the three-pen case on the upper right):

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll296/penmanila/SLS3-01-2_zps65055f2d.jpg

has anyone else gotten any one of these? what's been your experience? the leather looks really good, and i like the firm contours of the pocket case (for my new CS churchill, my forthcoming marlborough, and one more lucky pen ;) )

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmanila

• Inked

• da vinci

• Barkingpig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never seen these before - they look absolutely beautiful.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Absolutely cool! I don't have a desk but the pouch looks great too.

Great especially for my Japanese pens.

Very nice thumbup.gif I would like a larger version of the top left one - say 9 pens. And I love the cartridge holder even though I don't use Pilot Cartridges.

I'll get mine in a few days and will let you know how it goes. Knowing how the Japanese value design and the quality of materials, I don't expect anything less than stellar ;)

just five days after i placed the order, i got the case! so here it is, with a quick review. this is the three-pen pocket case that i got off ebay for $120, including free shipping. i took that to mean regular airmail, but the seller was kind enough to send it to me by EMS! immediately, plus points for the seller (abc-japan), who also offered the lowest price for the item on ebay, at least a few days ago.

the first thing you notice when you get the box out of the parcel is the japanese attention to good packaging and detail. the case was in the white paper bag, which was impeccably folded over. reminded me of unboxing my macbook air ;)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8426747188_db5bf2e380.jpg

and then you open the case and find three slots inside for three pens. the dividers look stiff and fixed but they're actually quite soft and flexible. and that's not some cheap fake suede lining the inside, but real leather (the smell and richness of the texture of the leather is an experience in itself).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8220/8425659113_e1c74c8081.jpg

and my first question was, would my big daily-carry pens (a CS churchill, a duofold centennial, a duofold international) all fit in the case together? the answer was happily yes.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8503/8426755396_44a8a03ff1.jpg

and of course it's no sweat for smaller and more regular-sized pens like a sheaffer targa, a montblanc 146, and a pelikan M800 (well, these aren't all that smaller, so you can imagine how roomy it would be for an M400 or a parker 75).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8425667571_340d1ee3a2.jpg

you could clip a pen over the edge if you really want to, but the leather's quite thick and i'd rather not stress the clip too much, so for me, everything goes in. also, some clips like the pelikan's are more giving than others.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8426762504_234d149c29.jpg

my babies (here's a vacumatic OS) sleep sound and snug in the pilot case. in sum, for me, well worth the price!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8190/8425671483_ac2ea9c5a8.jpg

Edited by penmanila

after a few hours of use, i can confirm that this case really feels good in the pocket, whether in my shirt or my pants. now i can move around without feeling that i'm putting my precious churchill or greenwich at risk of bring dropped or scratched by keys, etc.

I have been looking for a while at the 3 pen zipped case. Your review has changed my mind, the one you have sounds fantastic and your pictures have made the temptation irresistible ...

PS You have an amazing pen collection!

Edited by scribble1

thanks! ;) i've been using the case for a week now and am extremely happy with it. if i had the budget i'd pick up that big three-pen version that looks like a notebook (the one you like, too), but the pocket version works just fine. if the zippered case had enough space to slip in a moleskine-sized notebook i might've chosen it, but it looks like it can take only a few loose sheets of notepad paper.

That's going to soften up beautifully. Congrats! The only concern for me is the rubberized edge. I had a leather bag that was trimmed this way and it fell off in a way that became an eyesore.

Hi, penmanila. This looks awesome! Especially because you only carry three pens a day. (What I do have is a 20-pen leather case for all those Lamys. Somehow I still can't stop blaming you and DJ. :roflmho: )

But really, that is one gorgeous pen case. I think it's going to age really beautifully. Congrats on the purchase! It's really worth the price.

Edited by maryannemoll

I am tempted by the 3-pen zippered case, but the right side seems of little use. I doubt you could slip in a notepad. Too bad they didn't think of including a pouch there for cartridges! Instead, the cartridge carrier by itself costs $110...

I have the 3-pen case and the 2-pen case! :) The construction is superb. According to Mr Lee from Taipei, the leather used in the Somes are sourced from raw hides used to manufacture horse saddles. So they can take a lot of abuse!