Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 1000th post, and wanted to use it to say this is my favourite thread so far in my time on FPN. Given me some inspiration, and cost me a few pounds too. All worthwhile though. Thanks to everyone who has contributed I will try and make more contributions myself! :)

I have enjoyed the forum as a whole so far and got a lot from it. Looking forward to the next 1000 :thumbup:

Hi da vinci, and thanks for putting your 1000th post here! I love that so many others have posted photos of their wide nibs and writing. Lots more to come, I hope!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Parker Vacumatic Standard, Q1 1937, flexible two-toned BB nib

This pen has one of those great nibs that are both wide and flexible. It is a Canadian made Vac with an early date code, lock-down filler, matching cap jewels, early Arrow clip, and lovely emerald color. I've never seen a nib this wide on a Vac and so I've described it as a BB - it is a factory nib and has not been modified. The nib writes very smoothly at normal speeds, with wetter than average flow, and then with a little pressure it flexes! I mean, who would think that a Parker Vac has flex like this? I used digital calipers to give an idea of the line variation: in the photo below the cross stroke on the 7 in 1937 is 0.65mm wide; the widest down stroke of the cross hatch is 2.4mm wide. The nib writes like a stub, with wider down strokes and narrow cross strokes, but the funnest part is the flex. The original arrow clip is absolutely stylish, and the matching jewels are one reason these DJ Vacs are so much in demand. This pen is not collector grade, with a few minor blemishes that can be seen in the photos, but it rates as "high performance" grade in my book.

fpn_1385054620__parker_vac_1937_bb_flex_

fpn_1385055304__parker_vac_1937_bb_flex_

fpn_1385055338__parker_vac_1937_bb_flex_

fpn_1385055903__parker_vac_1937_bb_flex_

— Samuel Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Stipula Etruria, FPN "Notte di Stelle" limited edition, 14k 1.1 stub nib

This pen was offered two years ago by FPN as a one time limited edition and was used by FPN to raise funds along with sales of some other nifty pens made by Stipula. I have loved this pen from the moment it arrived. The nib is smooth, expressive, has great flow, and is a joy to use. In my writing sample I mentioned it being an 18k nib but that is just an "oops" on my part - it clearly is 14k. I have heard from others that the Stipula factory stub nibs are generally excellent, though I know of at least one owner of a Stipula FPN edition who was unhappy with his stub nib. For my part, this pen is a regular in my rotation of Italian pens and, I expect, will continue to be for years to come.

The celluloid used for this pen has wonderful, deep, rich color and surprising irridescence which can be mesmerizing if you spend too much time looking at it; during long meetings, for example B) . The lovely sterling silver clip and bands aren't hard on the eyes, either.

I measured the nib with digital calipers and the tip of this nib is 1.24 mm. For reference, the first downstroke in the "W" of Waterman at the bottom of the sample, is exactly 1.10mm wide, and the rightmost downstroke in the cross hatch is 1.55 mm wide, indicating this nib has a little spring and provides decent line variation with moderate pressure. Combined with its incredible smoothness, it is just plain fun to use.

fpn_1386266638__stipula_etruria_fpn_745x

fpn_1386266668__stipula_etruria_fpn_2_10

fpn_1386266774__stipula_etruria_fpn_1_10

fpn_1386266796__stipula_etruria_fpn_3_10

fpn_1386266816__stipula_etruria_fpn_4_10

Here's a shout out for Waterman Florida Blue ink, which not only matches the pen exquisitely but also exhibits very good sheen effect.

fpn_1386266877__stipula_etruria_fpn_5_10

— Samuel Johnson

Bruce, great post! Mike Masuyama has done more than a few nibs for me and his work is outstanding. That looks like a fun nib to use, and I really like that ink color. Thanks for posting here!

— Samuel Johnson

Bruce posted above a lovely P45 with a CI nib by Mike Masuyama and what are the odds - I happen to be carrying today a pen with a Masuyama stub.

OMAS Extra Ogiva, 18k B stub by Mike Masuyama

I got this pen about three years ago and sent it to Mike Masuyama, who ground the B nib into a very nice writing stub. It is very narrow on the side stroke and 1.1 mm wide at the tip, which is also the exact width of the downstrokes in the cross hatch below. The nib is more near to an italic than many of my other stubs, with a more precise written line than is achieved with what I would call a standard stub nib (smooth writing, gradual - not sharp - corners). OMAS is well known for its excellent pens and this one is no exception. The older style of this pen is very easy in the hand. The resin has almost a soft feel to it, the OMAS Greek key cap band is lovely, and the piston filler works quite well. With the red ink I've been using it to address Christmas cards and write notes - perfect!

fpn_1386705780__omas_extra_ogiva_18k_b_s

fpn_1386705806__omas_extra_ogiva_18k_b_s

fpn_1386705821__omas_extra_ogiva_18k_b_s

— Samuel Johnson

Just picked up this new old stock from Danitrio, with an 18k Stub. Nice pen! Sorry, the pics are from an iPhone, bad light etc. From Pentime.

post-46307-0-84365900-1386711405_thumb.jpg

post-46307-0-43960400-1386711433_thumb.jpg

post-46307-0-83739300-1386711655_thumb.jpg

Edited by dspeers58

I've not tried any of the Italix pens but they have been getting good reviews here on FPN. It looks like it suits you well!

I'm enjoying them both quite a bit. The Churchman's Prescriptor is taking some getting used to, but I've come to realize it may have a slight right-foot oblique to it. When I treat it that way, the writing is very cool and expressive.

Beautiful handwriting both of you, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Thanks so much, but I have nothing on akustyk!

Parker Vacumatic Standard, Q1 1937, flexible two-toned BB nib

This pen has one of those great nibs that are both wide and flexible. It is a Canadian made Vac with an early date code, lock-down filler, matching cap jewels, early Arrow clip, and lovely emerald color. I've never seen a nib this wide on a Vac and so I've described it as a BB - it is a factory nib and has not been modified. The nib writes very smoothly at normal speeds, with wetter than average flow, and then with a little pressure it flexes! I mean, who would think that a Parker Vac has flex like this? I used digital calipers to give an idea of the line variation: in the photo below the cross stroke on the 7 in 1937 is 0.65mm wide; the widest down stroke of the cross hatch is 2.4mm wide. The nib writes like a stub, with wider down strokes and narrow cross strokes, but the funnest part is the flex. The original arrow clip is absolutely stylish, and the matching jewels are one reason these DJ Vacs are so much in demand. This pen is not collector grade, with a few minor blemishes that can be seen in the photos, but it rates as "high performance" grade in my book.

fpn_1385054620__parker_vac_1937_bb_flex_

fpn_1385055304__parker_vac_1937_bb_flex_

fpn_1385055338__parker_vac_1937_bb_flex_

fpn_1385055903__parker_vac_1937_bb_flex_

I love everything about this—the pen, nib, ink, and handwriting!

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

Bruce posted above a lovely P45 with a CI nib by Mike Masuyama and what are the odds - I happen to be carrying today a pen with a Masuyama stub.

OMAS Extra Ogiva, 18k B stub by Mike Masuyama

I got this pen about three years ago and sent it to Mike Masuyama, who ground the B nib into a very nice writing stub. It is very narrow on the side stroke and 1.1 mm wide at the tip, which is also the exact width of the downstrokes in the cross hatch below. The nib is more near to an italic than many of my other stubs, with a more precise written line than is achieved with what I would call a standard stub nib (smooth writing, gradual - not sharp - corners). OMAS is well known for its excellent pens and this one is no exception. The older style of this pen is very easy in the hand. The resin has almost a soft feel to it, the OMAS Greek key cap band is lovely, and the piston filler works quite well. With the red ink I've been using it to address Christmas cards and write notes - perfect!

fpn_1386705780__omas_extra_ogiva_18k_b_s

fpn_1386705806__omas_extra_ogiva_18k_b_s

fpn_1386705821__omas_extra_ogiva_18k_b_s

DC, I think this maybe the best pen/ nib combo i have seen you demonstrate yet! :thumbup:

I do not yet own an Omas. I have always struggled a bit with whether they are value for money at their (not insignificant) price point. The answer here lies in the wonderful nib, but you have of course had that fettled by Mike Masuyama. Hmm...decisions, decisions :)

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It has been quite a while since I posted to this thread, due to lack of time and not (thankfully) lack of stub nibs. Here is a pen I'm using today, inked yesterday in honor of St. Paddy's Day:

Sheaffer OS flattop in jade green Permanite, 14k Lifetime B stub nib (c. 1928)

The nib on this pen is unmodified and, as best I can tell, is original to the pen. I purchased the pen a few years ago from Sarj Minhas at the LA International Pen Show and later had the filling system reworked as it had an irritating tendency to drop ink blobs whilst writing. Now, after work by my friend Mike Smukula in New Mexico, it writes like a champ with a steady, semi-wet flow that begins as soon as soon as the nib touches paper. The nib is 1.1mm at the widest part of the iridium and 0.8mm at its tip, measured with digital calipers, and provides a line that is 0.8mm in width. No flexibility to speak of here, though I'm guessing a really heavy hand might achieve some at great risk to the integrity of the nib. But flexibility isn't essential for a great writing nib, and this is one that reminds me I need to look through my pens more often to find those that haven't been used in a while. The jade permanite is in very good shape, with only a couple of shadows of darkening and one spot on the side of the white dot on the cap top. I feel lucky to have found a factory stub as from my experience they are not too common. I'd love to see others - I know they're out there.

fpn_1395153385__sheaffer_os_flattop_1024

fpn_1395089553__sheaffer_jade_os_flattop

What appear to be blemishes in this nib shot are actually spots of ink. These Lifetime nibs are big and gorgeous!

fpn_1395089569__sheaffer_jade_os_flattop

fpn_1395089582__sheaffer_jade_os_flattop

— Samuel Johnson

Nettuno Idra (by Stipula), 14k Stub nib by Minuskin

Stipula made the Idra in 1996 as a limited edition to honor the Nettuno Fountain Pen Company. The design is based on drawings dating back to 1923, obtained through the family of Nettuno's founder, Umberto Vecchieti. The modern version uses a dark green cured celluloid that has incredible depth, though poorly captured in my photos. This pen was sent to Greg Minuskin and he created a wonderful writing italic/stub nib and it retained some of its flexibility. The line is more crisp than many of my stubs and allows a very precise line, wide on the downstroke and narrow on the sidestroke.

fpn_1393267775__nettuno_idra_minuskin_st

fpn_1393267844__nettuno_idra_minuskin_st

fpn_1393267866__nettuno_idra_minuskin_st

fpn_1393267962__nettuno_idra_minuskin_st

— Samuel Johnson

The top two are the stubs currently in use.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Pens/DSC00024_zps01a079f9.jpg

A sheaffer factory S5 nib that previously belonged to a friend who took serious pity on my and sold it to me. :D

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Pens/DSC00030_zpsca6dbea1.jpg

Next is a MB 200 with silver trim and an OB (or OBB?) nib. :D

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Pens/DSC00031_zpsb2642946.jpg