Currently Visiting The Cs Factory During This Week

Mary Burke

Hello,

I am visiiting the CS factory through to Friday.

During my visit we have several meetings planned. If you would like for me to bring your comments to the meeting table, please send your comments/feedback to my email address: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk and mention 'UK Meeting' in the subject line of the email.

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• Rufus

• alc3261

• RMN

I shall look forward to the undoubted plethora of comments and requests that will appear as answers to your post. Perhaps you would ask Christine if she received my e-mail about my idea for 'The Conway Stewart Pen' - lever fill; reduced packaging etc etc etc etc. I haven't received a reply - yet. That was months ago.

fpn_1352633920__cs100_the_conway_stewart_pen-fpn.jpg

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Based on my own experience, customer service issues, at both the dealer and corporate level, need to be addressed.

I echo what The Good Captain and Strang have said. They must reduce the amount of packaging; if they really think about it it wouldn't take much to come up with simple yet tasteful and elegant packaging.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I echo what The Good Captain and Strang have said. They must reduce the amount of packaging; if they really think about it it wouldn't take much to come up with simple yet tasteful and elegant packaging.

Interesting - I found CS' current packaging to be fairly simple, tasteful and elegant but with that said, it is a fairly big box that would cost a lot to ship.

One alternative might be to use wooden packaging similar to what Platinum/Nakaya (Japanese pen manufacturer) use. Their wooden box is light and sturdy that tends to resists moisture naturally, they line it with a nice (fake) satin/silk pillow and also provide a pen 'kimono' for their higher-end pens. Perhaps CS could provide something similar: a white wrap for the Doctor's pen or a dark blue herringbone wrap for their more business-y pens?

Actually I think the word I used - 'packaging' - isn't the one I meant. The term 'Presentation Box' is the better description. It's been mentioned before that the elaborate way that current CS pens (and of course, those from other manufacturers) are displayed when sold is possibly unnecessary. Usually, the higher the price of the pen, the more is included within the box: for example, cigars, books of quotes and so on.

Surely this is just a marketing strategy to suggest a perceived higher value of the pen in question? The actual manufacturing cost of the component parts and materials might be higher for some pens in the range than others but let's face it: the nibs for the majority of them are identical, as are the converters.

So why not offer the pens with dual price structure marketing? A reasonable price for the pen, supplied with instruction sheet; guarantee information, in a simple cardboard box, like the acceptable ones that are used for Pelikan pens, throughout their range. And then, an option for the same pen with the same paperwork, to be supplied in an over-the-top and extravagant option, made of whatever 'luxury' materials that were deemed appropriate for the perceived over-priced presentation or display of the same pen in question. Which would obviously mean that the pen would be more expensive.

Let the customer make the choice and the discrete and in fact, discreet boxes that the original CS pens were supplied in were perfectly adequate.

The Good Captain

I've realised the best option is, in the words of the Meerkats, 'Simples'. Just sell pens. Good, functioning and if necessary, exquisite pens. In simple boxes. At an appropriate price - for the pen.

Then offer an option for those that really have to have the accoutrements that previously have been supplied, as an EXTRA at a suitably inflated price. Just for the boxes.

I won't matter if no-one takes up that offer as the loss of sales for those products would be negligible.

People should be buying pens because they are good pens. I suggest that at present, there have been a number of comments and concerns about current CS models raised, to indicate that this isn't necessarily the case.

The Good Captain

If you go to a 3 michelin star restaurant, would you accept a formica table, cardboard plate and plastic cutlery and a waiter in his grimy Tshirt?

No you expect some nice surroundings to appreciate the food.

The same with pens. You need nice packaging, it helps to sell. Perhaps to about 0,0002% of all buyers (who happen to be a bunch of crazy FPNers, me included) it would not matter but the vast majority expect nice packaging.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

If you go to a 3 michelin star restaurant, would you accept a formica table, cardboard plate and plastic cutlery and a waiter in his grimy Tshirt?

The same with pens. You need nice packaging, it helps to sell. Perhaps to about 0,0002% of all buyers (who happen to be a bunch of crazy FPNers, me included) it would not matter but the vast majority expect nice packaging.

D.ick

I admire and appreciate your analogy. So using it as an example you will understand my comment thus: wonderful publicity and marvellous reviews. Fabulous advertising and marketing. Anticipation. Quality expected because the price is high. Service guaranteed by reputation and the name alone.

The meal arrives after a breathtaking wait. Side dishes are brought and everything looks exactly as ordered from the menu. The first tentative fork-full is tried.

Disappointment - it doesn't taste like it is supposed to do, based on the menu description. The dish is sent back and replaced with the same but this time it's not hot/cold enough. It goes back again.

This time, it's actually not what was ordered in the first place. And so on and so forth.

However, you've heard that the same dish without all the trimmings is available at the pub down the road and from what people say on Facebook, it's the bees knees, at a fraction of the price. So you try it.

Wonderful! Outstanding! Marvellous! You recommend it to your friends. They sample and enjoy.

However there are those that still prefer the Michelin stars and all that goes with it. And then they still complain to their friends afterwards because it 'sin't quite what it used to be in the old days but surely things can only get better. After all, it's the name that made them famous isn't it?'

The Good Captain

D.ick

I admire and appreciate your analogy. So using it as an example you will understand my comment thus: wonderful publicity and marvellous reviews. Fabulous advertising and marketing. Anticipation. Quality expected because the price is high. Service guaranteed by reputation and the name alone.

The meal arrives after a breathtaking wait. Side dishes are brought and everything looks exactly as ordered from the menu. The first tentative fork-full is tried.

Disappointment - it doesn't taste like it is supposed to do, based on the menu description. The dish is sent back and replaced with the same but this time it's not hot/cold enough. It goes back again.

This time, it's actually not what was ordered in the first place. And so on and so forth.

However, you've heard that the same dish without all the trimmings is available at the pub down the road and from what people say on Facebook, it's the bees knees, at a fraction of the price. So you try it.

Wonderful! Outstanding! Marvellous! You recommend it to your friends. They sample and enjoy.

However there are those that still prefer the Michelin stars and all that goes with it. And then they still complain to their friends afterwards because it 'sin't quite what it used to be in the old days but surely things can only get better. After all, it's the name that made them famous isn't it?'

Ok. In my case the visit to the restaurant was memorable. There was a slight problem with my entree. This was caused by an external factor. It was promptly set right, and as a reward I was shown the Holy of Holies of the restaurant, I got a tour of the kitchen, and got to sample some of the new dishes about to appear on the new seasons menu.

I had a truly wonderful experience.

D.ick

~

~

D.ick

Ok. In my case the visit to the restaurant was memorable. There was a slight problem with my entree. This was caused by an external factor. It was promptly set right, and as a reward I was shown the Holy of Holies of the restaurant, I got a tour of the kitchen, and got to sample some of the new dishes about to appear on the new seasons menu.

D.ick

Absolutely f'ing marvellous! Hope you then wrote all about it with your Pelikan M800.

Because that's what I would have done.

The Good Captain

D.ick

D.ick

Absolutely f'ing marvellous! Hope you then wrote all about it with your Pelikan M800.

The restaurant happened to be on CS premises on Haxter Close, Plymouth.

The pen: CS Trafalgar.

They really made my vacation truly memorable.

CS :thumbup:

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

~

D.ick

D.ick

D.ick

So no corporate entertainment pressure, then?

The Good Captain

D.ick

?? I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with that term??

D.ick

~

~

D.ick

?? I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with that term??

D.ick

Just a bit of British humour, really. 'Corporate Entertainment' normally referring to over-budget expenditure on potential clients or customers, put on by large and affluent companies or businesses, for the perceived benefit of their product sales. At least, that's my interpretation of the words.

Sounds like you had a good and lucrative visit to Devon anyway.

The Good Captain

Hello,

During my visit we have several meetings planned. If you would like for me to bring your comments to the meeting table, please send your comments/feedback to my email address: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk and mention 'UK Meeting' in the subject line of the email.

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

I sent a message asking what might be the ballpark figure for a Bespoke Dinkie - no reply.

I'm not a tyre kicker, I have a CS Prof Dr and a Belliver.

No reply is discourteous.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Hello,

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

I sent a message asking what might be the ballpark figure for a Bespoke Dinkie - no reply.

I'm not a tyre kicker, I have a CS Prof Dr and a Belliver.

No reply is discourteous.

I have learned that email is not the preferred contact for Mary. She gets a lot I imagine. Contacting her via one of her phone numbers results in much faster response. I think CS needs to get her some help. Someone to handle email customer service for the US.

Long live the Empire!

Hello, I am visiiting the CS factory through to Friday. During my visit we have several meetings planned. If you would like for me to bring your comments to the meeting table, please send your comments/feedback to my email address: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk and mention 'UK Meeting' in the subject line of the email. With kind regards,Mary Burke
I sent a message asking what might be the ballpark figure for a Bespoke Dinkie - no reply.I'm not a tyre kicker, I have a CS Prof Dr and a Belliver.No reply is discourteous.
I have learned that email is not the preferred contact for Mary. She gets a lot I imagine. Contacting her via one of her phone numbers results in much faster response. I think CS needs to get her some help. Someone to handle email customer service for the US.

Perhaps, in the future, Mary could make that known (the telephone stuff) to those many of us who never got an answer.

Hello, I am visiiting the CS factory through to Friday. During my visit we have several meetings planned. If you would like for me to bring your comments to the meeting table, please send your comments/feedback to my email address: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk and mention 'UK Meeting' in the subject line of the email. With kind regards,Mary Burke
I sent a message asking what might be the ballpark figure for a Bespoke Dinkie - no reply.I'm not a tyre kicker, I have a CS Prof Dr and a Belliver.No reply is discourteous.

Perhaps, in the future, Mary could make that known (the telephone stuff) to those many of us who never got an answer.

I also sent a PM on FPN - again No Reply!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I also sent a PM on FPN - again No Reply!!

My impression is that she handles most, if not all, of the USA stuff. Not sure though. She is extremely nice and helpful when you get a hold of her. Remember, she is a moderator on the board and travels a lot for the company as well. Be gracious, patient, and don't give up. You can send a second email too. :eureka:

Long live the Empire!