maverickmage

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 23:46

Posted Image

Here's a close up of my attempted flex writing.

Posted Image

btw, the parts that looks like feathering really isn't. I just messed up with my nib on those parts. Sorry, the flex portion is all over the place. I hadn't really decided on what I was going to write til I got to the world portion.

Edited by maverickmage, 19 January 2013 - 23:47.

#2 wieniawski

wieniawski

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:30

Wow, the water resistance is impressive! I have been wanting to try this ink for quite a while but sometime I am afraid that it would be too light for daily use...
Blog Plug - Ink of Me Fondly

#3 tnmike1

tnmike1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:48

I use this ink and it is not too light for daily use. And, as the OP says, it is a great blue/gray ink. Reminds me of one of the vintage Waterman Blue Blacks that turns a grayish-blue after a day or so. WOnderful stuff and the fact that it's water resistant an extra plus
Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

#4 maverickmage

maverickmage

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 15:54

It's not too bad. I found the Lexington Gray to be probably as light as I want to go, and this is darker than that. It would be easily used for daily use. If you're not sure, just order a sample and you can try it out beforehand.

#5 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2013 - 00:00

I've tried sever grey inks and I think this ink, and also the other Iroshizoku grey, Diamine Grey and Noodler's Lexington Grey would would work as everyday inks.

#6 WillSW

WillSW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 00:58

Thanks for the accurate review. I have this ink, it was a gift and is my only iroshizuku.

Reminds me of one of the vintage Waterman Blue Blacks that turns a grayish-blue after a day or so.

I agree with this. I find this ink to really be a case of expensive-wine-tastes-better. Most comments regarding those grey blue-blacks refer to them as dull, and perhaps because they are called "blue-black" and are relatively inexpensive (my own experience with this was with a $5 bottle of Pelikan), we desire them to be more blue, or more black, or something other than the cold, nice-shading grey they are. With an iroshizuku in its lovely bottle and premium price tag carrying the name "fuyu-syogun" (Old Man Winter), we are more inclined to look closely at the grey and admire its subtleties. This is not a bad thing. I like the ink. I like to look at the bottle on my desk. It's a good thing. Expensive wine does, in fact, taste better.

#7 tnmike1

tnmike1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:08

Thanks for the accurate review. I have this ink, it was a gift and is my only iroshizuku.

Reminds me of one of the vintage Waterman Blue Blacks that turns a grayish-blue after a day or so.

I agree with this. I find this ink to really be a case of expensive-wine-tastes-better. Most comments regarding those grey blue-blacks refer to them as dull, and perhaps because they are called "blue-black" and are relatively inexpensive (my own experience with this was with a $5 bottle of Pelikan), we desire them to be more blue, or more black, or something other than the cold, nice-shading grey they are. With an iroshizuku in its lovely bottle and premium price tag carrying the name "fuyu-syogun" (Old Man Winter), we are more inclined to look closely at the grey and admire its subtleties. This is not a bad thing. I like the ink. I like to look at the bottle on my desk. It's a good thing. Expensive wine does, in fact, taste better.

The Waterman is also waterproof, bottle has a great vintage look and can be found on ebay for about $15. Since it's so close to the color of this Iro ink, think I'll spend $28-35 elsewhere. Maybe on a bottle of fine wine or bourbon that I can enjoy more???
Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,363 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:07

very nice ink :thumbup: thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#9 LagNut

LagNut

Mint

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:07

Maverickmage,

Thanks much for this review. This is an ink I've been using for a bit, and I'm really happy to see it's waterfast. I didn't realize this, and this kicks the utility of this ink yet another notch.

I've used it in rather broad nibs for me (an italic Sonnet, and a Carene), and I have no problem reading my notes. It does take the place of pencil for me - and it's very comparable in terms of legibility. It does remove the temptation to erase which is the point in the way I use it. (Eliminates the self-editing which gets me off track)

I do love the shading also.

#10 maverickmage

maverickmage

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:45

Maverickmage,

Thanks much for this review. This is an ink I've been using for a bit, and I'm really happy to see it's waterfast. I didn't realize this, and this kicks the utility of this ink yet another notch.

I've used it in rather broad nibs for me (an italic Sonnet, and a Carene), and I have no problem reading my notes. It does take the place of pencil for me - and it's very comparable in terms of legibility. It does remove the temptation to erase which is the point in the way I use it. (Eliminates the self-editing which gets me off track)

I do love the shading also.

So far, from all the gray inks that I've tried thus far, this color grabs my attention the most.

#11 ramimac

ramimac

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:19

I love this color, I've tried Lexington Grey as well, and found this darker and more legible for everyday use.

#12 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:10

This is one of my favorite inks. My pilot C823 medium runs mainly on Fuyu-syogun and MB-Royal Blue.

Looks nice and aged on an off white paper too :)
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#13 whichwatch

whichwatch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:26

Thanks for the accurate review. I recently got a sample that I have been using, and find this a really attractive ink. Iroshizukus are my favorite, and I find this to be a wonderful color.

#14 Gcouch

Gcouch

What can't Ducktape fix?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:01

Thanks for the review! I was at my local pen store and saw this ink. I thought of buying a bottle, but then realized I could almost buy a Lamy Vista with that money. I decided to go with the pen and a bottle of Aurora instead, but it's a nice ink none the less.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../ BROFIST
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(