#1 snowblink

snowblink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:06

Have started writing in my TN finally. The bump made by the elastic band is noticeable when writing on the right-hand side. I can only imagine it getting worse as I work my way through the notebook. Apart from taking it out when writing, does anyone have a cunning trick to alleviate the problem?

#2 gsalazar

gsalazar

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 23:04

You can insert one or two more filler notebooks to help put some distance in between, to make the bump less noticeable. When you finish one notebook, you can switch it to the back so you're always writing near the top of the pack.

If you're a bit of a hacker, you can try creating hole in the spine, similar to the Pelle notebooks.

#3 ObserveClosely

ObserveClosely

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 16:45

Apart from taking it out when writing, does anyone have a cunning trick to alleviate the problem?

Yes indeedy. The problem is exacerbated if you also have a zip pocket insert with anything lumpy in it. Solution: a homemade insert consisting of two pieces of stiff mattboard with a spine of duct tape. It rides outboard of everything except the zip pocket. Works perfectly as a stiff backing for sketching and writing.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#4 Plume145

Plume145

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 00:42

gsalazar's tip of holes in the spine is a good place to start. You will still have a knot getting in your way somewhere, but if you pull it extra-taut and snip the ends close to the knot it will reduce bulk a bit (it's a good idea to burn them a bit with a lighter for good measure, to prevent fraying).

After that, it still wasn't working for me, so I got some of these a few months back and used one to join the two ends of the elastic after it was inserted to form a continuous loop uninterrupted by thick knots. It worked, sorta. No bumps anymore (well, a very very slight one, but not really noticeable). It's just not the prettiest thing, so it pays to hide it in the back or something. And it's fiddly...I may not be an expert but I'm not clueless either, and I wasted three of these before getting it right :-)

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.