Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

What Ink To Use?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dust4tears

dust4tears

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 23:10

I said in a recent post I asked if I can use Sumi Ink in my J-series with the 9128 nib. It was suggested that I not use Sumi.

I have been using Noodlers ink. Their black ink works kind of, when I am trying to do nice think and thins. However, the other Noodlers ink I have, I cannot get the nib to complete a line without skipping.
I try different angles, speeds, compressions, ect...but, to no avail, it doesnt work.

What are some good inks that I can use? I am heading to Denver this week and was planning on going to the pen store to get some ink.

What are some good inks that can produce nice think and thins and that have a nice consistency/flow rate?

All thoughts are more than welcomed~

Dust4tears

Edited by dust4tears, 18 January 2013 - 23:11.

Ride hard or go home

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:32

I said in a recent post I asked if I can use Sumi Ink in my J-series with the 9128 nib. It was suggested that I not use Sumi.

I have been using Noodlers ink. Their black ink works kind of, when I am trying to do nice think and thins. However, the other Noodlers ink I have, I cannot get the nib to complete a line without skipping.
I try different angles, speeds, compressions, ect...but, to no avail, it doesnt work.

What are some good inks that I can use? I am heading to Denver this week and was planning on going to the pen store to get some ink.

What are some good inks that can produce nice think and thins and that have a nice consistency/flow rate?

All thoughts are more than welcomed~

Dust4tears

Montblanc, Parker and Sheaffer are good inks. I have used them for years in pens extra-fine to oblique triple broad. I have used them in Esterbrooks. I have used Noodler's American Eel Black and some other colors in Esties from extra fine to broad stub with no issues except this: there is one 9550 nib that skips with any ink because it seems to have poor contact between nib and feed. If I push them together, work the nib into the sleeve, the nib writes for a bit and then skips. I think your issue may be caused by the nib, not by the ink. With that nib you are exerting more pressure than with a non-flex Estie nib. You might have some separation between the nib surface and the feed, some loss of good contact between the nib and the feed. I have had this happen with some other pens also, like a Montblanc 144 where the nib is a friction fit with the feed into the section. I pulled the nib and feed out and cleaned it with water and reassembled the nib, feed and section. That cured that issue. It's more difficult with nib units like Esterbrook and Reform. Maybe you should soak the nib in water for a few hours and see if that helps.
"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#3 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:21

<snip>

<snip>

It is unlikely this is just the ink. You either have contamination of incompatible ink in the feed or you have a buildup of gunk in the feed. Alternately the nib is not seated flat and immediately on top of the channel. Before changing your ink shim and floss your nib and give it a really good clean.

#4 zenrabbit

zenrabbit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 16:06

I have a 9128 nib and have not had any issues with any inks that I have used with it. I think you might need to examine the nib closely as Scrawler suggests above. If you have not shopped in Denver before Guiry's on South Colorado Blvd has a fountan pen section. They stock Noodler's and Private Reserve inks as well as Parker, Omas, Visconti, and Waterman as I recall. Paradise Pen Co in Park Meadows Mall has some Iroshizuku inks as well as Noodler's and Mont Blanc. Happy shopping!
The secret of zen is just two words, not always so.
Shunryu Suzuki

#5 dust4tears

dust4tears

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2013 - 16:20

Thanks Zenrabbit.
I am actually going to the VA and they are putting me up in a hotel on S. Colorado. I was planning on hitting up Guiry's~
Ride hard or go home