#31 FountainPenCowgirl

FountainPenCowgirl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 18:32

I've tried a few black inks in the last year and not gotten past the samples - until now. Like a couple of my other Iroshizukus, Take-Sumi simply spoke to me. Color is the black I've been seeking. Flow from the nib (Safari F) is silky smooth (a growing theme in my purchases, especially when color is similar to others I have). Behaves well on my favorite papers and those I am forced to use. Not smeared on me yet, either. Perfect. Glad I waited, and glad I tried one more black sample.

#32 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 16:07

I never use black ink alone.  The only reason I'm interested in a bottle (or a sample) is to mix it with other Iroshizuku inks to form a darker color.  Can anyone tell me how it mixes?

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#33 mrchan

mrchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 20:11

I never use black ink alone.  The only reason I'm interested in a bottle (or a sample) is to mix it with other Iroshizuku inks to form a darker color.  Can anyone tell me how it mixes?

Ah don't be wasting such good quality ink on mixing it with other stuff. It isn't just black on its own, it has its own beautiful charcoalish colour to it.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

#34 xwingrox

xwingrox

Still Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:58

any chance of a head to head review against Noodler's Black? 

#35 indigoskye

indigoskye

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 23:27

This has become my favorite black ink.  I own three or four other black inks, but I tend to reach for the Iro Take-Sumi the most.  It is smooth, trouble free and I like the slight shading to grey in my italic nib.  Black is my most used color because I use it for notes.  When I'm working, I don't like to have ink colors distracting me from the creative process.  I save colors for editing. :)

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham
No Wasted Ink

#36 Algester

Algester

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:57

I have noticed when I did the swab (same as brian goulet's swabbing techniques) of my Take-sumi it leaves a green tinge to it when not overly saturated I guess that is why they call it bamboo charcoal over all beautiful ink slightly pricier in the US than it is in Asia... but hey its a beautiful ink I got 2 bottles of it now

#37 Josey

Josey

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 13:20

After using this ink for a month and a half, I'm a bit disappointed with it. It shades beautifully, but it "spreads" on every paper I try it on, so that my Pilot "F" nibs look more like "M" (or broader!). 

#38 Kuhataparunks

Kuhataparunks

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:36

Nice review pelahale. Looks like you've found one of the better blacks.

I'm still trying to convince myself to try a bottle of Iroshizuku - any bottle http://www.fountainp..._DIR#/smile.gif

Oh my goodness... I was in your shoes last week, and I got a bottle of Asa-Gao for $19.95 shipped to me on ebay. I LOVE it!! It's such a remarkable ink and color especially.
I will now have to get a bottle of Take-Sumi and HOPEFULLY that'll be the end of my ink-aholism :P
So my suggestion for you, GET THE INK. Just be sure it'll be a color you'll use, good luck

Edited by Kuhataparunks, 24 August 2014 - 03:38.

#39 A144

A144

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 16:38

I'm not a big fan of black inks. I have a bottle of Noodler's Black for when I feel I need a dark, permanent, black ink (which isn't very often).

I recently ordered a sample of Take-sumi with some other Iroshizuku samples and have actually really enjoyed it. It's got a lot of character to it, it preforms well. I may just end up with a bottle of it. I never thought I'd end up with two bottles of black ink!

So many inks, so little time...

#40 sarahfar

sarahfar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:47

A very engaging charcoal or black ink indeed....

#41 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2014 - 15:48

Since seeing this thread initially, I've now tried Take-sumi.  Haven't completely made up my mind about it.  It's not the "blackest" black on the planet (if that's what you're looking for).  It *is* an interesting color, though.  Kinda makes me think of vintage black velvet -- it's got a sort of softness to the color (if "soft black" makes any sense at all).  I'm not much for black inks to begin with, so I'm still weighing the pros and cons of getting a full bottle.  At the price of Iroshihzuku inks, I would have to absolutely adore it (the way I do Yama-budo and Yama-guri).  And I can't say that I do.  But I don't hate it either....

Yup, the Libra is out in full force -- the scales keep going back and forth (I can talk myself in -- or out -- of a lot of things...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#42 white_lotus

white_lotus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2014 - 17:07

I've just ordered a bottle of this ink. I'm sure I'll like it.

#43 mrchan

mrchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:54

Since seeing this thread initially, I've now tried Take-sumi.  Haven't completely made up my mind about it.  It's not the "blackest" black on the planet (if that's what you're looking for).  It *is* an interesting color, though.  Kinda makes me think of vintage black velvet -- it's got a sort of softness to the color (if "soft black" makes any sense at all).  I'm not much for black inks to begin with, so I'm still weighing the pros and cons of getting a full bottle.  At the price of Iroshihzuku inks, I would have to absolutely adore it (the way I do Yama-budo and Yama-guri).  And I can't say that I do.  But I don't hate it either....
Yup, the Libra is out in full force -- the scales keep going back and forth (I can talk myself in -- or out -- of a lot of things...).
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

For me it's because it's not the blackest black I've ever used that is the main reason I like it. If you want the blackest black, my experience says Aurora black still. This Take-Sumi's beauty is in that hint of charcoal grey. For me anyway.
Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

#44 meilinpo

meilinpo

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 14:44

Hi! I'm new to the world of fountain pens, and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Vanishing Point.

What I am wondering is how the Iroshizuku take-sumi compares with Pilot/ Namiki's "standard" black fountain pen ink? The price difference is substantial, but if the difference in ink performance is equally great......

Edited by meilinpo, 23 October 2014 - 14:45.