#61 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:04

Can you make a Skyline in an oversize model with at least .41" grip section like the MB 146? I find it too small of a grip which will cause cramping, but I do love the design.

I'd also like a scaled up Skyline if it's possible to make one. I've always liked the look of vintage Skylines, and similarly like the looks of your new production Skylines (especially the carbon fibre!), yet I prefer over sized pens. Even the Skyline executives are smaller than I'm used to.

The Oversized pens we plan to make will be in the Doric and Gold Seal Flat-top revival pens coming in 2014 and 2015. Rather than drag you through a long dissertation in business planning and budgeting, let alone the economics of pen production, lets just say that injection molding requires a huge up front capital asset outlay in tool and mold costs (in the quality we require - which has meant and would mean Swiss made molds) of approximately $125,000 cost. To make the Dorics or the Flat-tops does not require a mold. You can do the math and see what recovering $125,000 in tool cost let alone the other expenses of bringing a pen to market would require. So, off-shoots of the Skyline will not include oversized pens at present, but as you have seen does include variations on the theme that are very nice if I say so myself.

If Oversized is what you would like please be patient and wait until we produce the BIG pens in the Doric and Gold Seal Flat Top Series. Not the answer you were hoping for I know, but I would rather tell it like it is than string folks along hoping for something that will probably not happen any time soon.
Syd
Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#62 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:49

Can you make a Skyline in an oversize model with at least .41" grip section like the MB 146? I find it too small of a grip which will cause cramping, but I do love the design.

I'd also like a scaled up Skyline if it's possible to make one. I've always liked the look of vintage Skylines, and similarly like the looks of your new production Skylines (especially the carbon fibre!), yet I prefer over sized pens. Even the Skyline executives are smaller than I'm used to.

The Oversized pens we plan to make will be in the Doric and Gold Seal Flat-top revival pens coming in 2014 and 2015. Rather than drag you through a long dissertation in business planning and budgeting, let alone the economics of pen production, lets just say that injection molding requires a huge up front capital asset outlay in tool and mold costs (in the quality we require - which has meant and would mean Swiss made molds) of approximately $125,000 cost. To make the Dorics or the Flat-tops does not require a mold. You can do the math and see what recovering $125,000 in tool cost let alone the other expenses of bringing a pen to market would require. So, off-shoots of the Skyline will not include oversized pens at present, but as you have seen does include variations on the theme that are very nice if I say so myself.

If Oversized is what you would like please be patient and wait until we produce the BIG pens in the Doric and Gold Seal Flat Top Series. Not the answer you were hoping for I know, but I would rather tell it like it is than string folks along hoping for something that will probably not happen any time soon.
Syd

I knew good quality molds cost at least $100K, so while it's not the answer I was hoping for, it is the answer I expected. I like both the Skyline design and your variants, and I'm also curious about your semi-flex steel nibs. Hopefully somebody in the Toronto pen posse either has an original Skyline or is getting one of your new pens - it's the only way to know for sure if the section will be comfortable for me.

#63 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:28

... it's the only way to know for sure if the section will be comfortable for me.

No, it isn't. Another way would be for you to purchase one. If someone from your pen group came in with one that they had purchased, and you tried it, and it fit well, would you buy one? And, if you would, why wouldn't you give it a chance now?

Sometimes you have to step up to the plate.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#64 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:35

... it's the only way to know for sure if the section will be comfortable for me.

No, it isn't. Another way would be for you to purchase one. If someone from your pen group came in with one that they had purchased, and you tried it, and it fit well, would you buy one? And, if you would, why wouldn't you give it a chance now?

Sometimes you have to step up to the plate.

Well, that would certainly be one of way of trying it.

#65 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:40

Well, that would certainly be one of way of trying it.

Either that, or a pen show.

I'm not trying to be snarky, believe me. But at some point, when people are putting hundreds of thousands of dollars (or other currency) on the line to make one of these dreams fly, it becomes a bit... timorous to ask for the moon, or to whinge about trying something out, without making some sort of commitment of one's own. Obviously, it is usually financial.

I saw some of Syd's posts over the last couple of months. I met him and saw the pens in LA. I'm willing to make an investment.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#66 writepen

writepen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 13:11

The new Skylines look really good. What are their dimensions? Are they the same as the vintage standard Skylines? How does the section diameter compare to modern standard yardsticks like the MB Meisterstucks and Pelikan Souverains?

The pens were made to match exact specifications (to the three decimal place) coming from the original Skyline Senior size (not oversize). The Resin body pens Length capped 5.5", as the section is tapered and flared as was the original at its base it measures .3855" in the middle it measures .365" and at its front flare it measures .3855". these dimensions are within 5 thousandths of an inch of the original Skylines. In fact the new caps fit old Skylines and vice versa. We did not mess with the classic design as we believe that is what made them popular then as now. However the metal body pens (the Award and the Technik Aluminum Series) measure a bit longer and a tiny amount thicker in the barrel but have the same section as above.

Syd

How do we purchase the new Wahls?

#67 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:32

[/quote]
How do we purchase the new Wahls?
[/quote]

Simply go to the website www.wahleversharp.com select whatever you might like for your shopping cart and then checkout.

And thanks for asking!
Syd
Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#68 bluejay

bluejay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:40

What price range will the Dorics fall in? I can't wait!

#69 Drone

Drone

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 19:46

Hi Syd,

So how will the "New" W-E pens like the Skyline be differentiated from vintage models in the FPN's "Fountain Pen Reviews" > Index... section?

Maybe let things be as it is today and trust the reviewers to comment vintage vs. new or modern?

Or maybe it will be better to differentiate new vs. vintage W-E reviews in the Index? After-all, these reviews have longevity.

So perhaps now is the time to discuss this with the moderator of the Review section and set up a specific sub-topic for the new Wahl-Eversharp reviews? Hmmm... I'm on the fence on this, but I thought I would toss the question. (I haven't read the FPN review posting "policy", maybe this is covered already.)

But - I can say that a bad example (IMO) is how new vs. vintage Conklin pens are not differentiated in the pen reviews section. Yes the (e.g.) "Mark Twain" Conklin's are differentiated by name - but the new W-E "Skyline" pens will not be differentiated from vintage "Skyline" pens as the product names match. Please consider this...

BTW: Thanks Syd for pointing out the text from AlecGreen's L.A. coverage. I did see this after reading the entire post. Also, thanks for clarifying the position on nib options (18K vs. SS) on different models. Good to hear you will be "flexible" about this :-)

Best Regards, David

Edited by Drone, 24 February 2013 - 19:47.

#70 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 20:24

I just ordered a pen from Syd and it couldn't be easier. The site is great and my request for a small custom change was quickly dealt with by Syd. Great service! Now I wait anxiously for its arrival!
This post contains 100% recycled electrons
Posted Image

#71 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:33

What price range will the Dorics fall in? I can't wait!

That's a pretty far off final decision due to many variables from materials to cost of shipping etc that will change a lot from now thill then. But, we intend to keep things as affordable as possible.
Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#72 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 22:19

Quick answer for the reviews index -
It'll look like this:

Skyline (vintage)
review
review
review
Skyline (modern)
review
review
review

gallery_41188_9_2816.jpg sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#73 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:12

Quick answer for the reviews index -
It'll look like this:

Skyline (vintage)
review
review
review
Skyline (modern)
review
review
review

:thumbup:

#74 mrchan

mrchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:25

Hi Syd,

Congrats on getting the website up and running. Glad wahl is back in production. While I totally adore the Doctor pen(being one myself), I would have to say that the pics on the site is a bit small. If you could make it a bit larger and more closeup pics, it'd be perfect!

Anyway, good start up. If you don't mind me saying, the only reason I didn't get the pen yet is twofold, it being a cartridge converter and only medium sized nib. I'm sure you are probably sorting out the nib sizes right now but thats the main downside.

If you start producing pens with lever fillers, ebonite bodies, and ESPECIALLY adjustable nibs, I will pay almost anything for it!

Can't wait to see how you guys are gonna progress, I am looking forward to pens with the aforementioned characteristics! ;)
Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

#75 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:21

Hi Syd,

Congrats on getting the website up and running. Glad wahl is back in production. While I totally adore the Doctor pen(being one myself), I would have to say that the pics on the site is a bit small. If you could make it a bit larger and more closeup pics, it'd be perfect!

Anyway, good start up. If you don't mind me saying, the only reason I didn't get the pen yet is twofold, it being a cartridge converter and only medium sized nib. I'm sure you are probably sorting out the nib sizes right now but thats the main downside.

If you start producing pens with lever fillers, ebonite bodies, and ESPECIALLY adjustable nibs, I will pay almost anything for it!

Can't wait to see how you guys are gonna progress, I am looking forward to pens with the aforementioned characteristics! ;)

Thanks for the constructive input. All information that will help us is welcome. About the Medium nib comment. This is the second time I have had to say that the Medium nib is in the 18K gold nib only. The Gold Plated Ceramic Coated Stainless Steel semi-flex nib is a fine that flares a good bit and provides nice line variation. I may have to post some writing samples. So I am wondering where the "Medium" size is being picked up on the website? My web designer used my copy but maybe the word Medium is misplaced? Can you please point me to the page(s) on the website that says medium? In the 18k nib we chose medium to be able to stock one nib that would be middle of the road.

Syd
Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#76 MCWB

MCWB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:26

So I am wondering where the "Medium" size is being picked up on the website?

As far as I can tell, there isn't any information on each product page about nib/line widths: it tells me what the nib is made of, but not what nib/line width it makes. I had to dig into the FAQ, where I found this:

http://www.wahleversharp.com/faq.php#q4
4. What nibs come with WAHL-EVERSHARP pens?
A. WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain pens come with a variety of nibs. Which one comes with which pen is as follows:
- Skylines 50's- Medium Sem-flex stainless steel.
- Skyline Demo, Skyline Classic, Skyline Unique, and Skyline Tribute collections - Medium Semi-flex ceramic coated gold plated stainless steel.
- Skyline Technik Black Aluminum Pens- Medium black finished ceramic coated stainless steel.
- Skyline Technik Cobalt Blue Aluminum Pens - Medium Semi-flex Gold Plated Ceramic coated Stainless Steel.
- Skyline Natural Aluminum - Medium Semi-flex Ceramic coated Gray Titanium.
- Award Collection Paladium Pen - Medium solid 18 Karat 2-tone nib.
- Under custom order, purchasers can specify the pen be supplied with 18KT nib for an additional fee.
- All Roller Ball pens bone with Schmidt refills.

Writing samples would be good, but having this information on each product page is essential IMHO. You could then link it to a writing sample.

There are a few typos in the FAQ as well, could perhaps do with a bit of a tidy-up?

#77 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:38

AHA! The FAQ's. I will address that with the webmaster tomorrow morning. and add something to each description. I have been explaining to people more than I thought I would need to how the semi-flex has line variation from fine to medium+ a lot lately. The fine line is little under a half a millimeter and flares to about 1.3 mm under pressure. I think that .4mm is not superfine, but fine. Communication is not always perfect between manufacturer and web designers. We will edit.

Syd
Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#78 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• 932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:44

As far as I can tell, there isn't any information on each product page about nib/line widths: it tells me what the nib is made of, but not what nib/line width it makes. I had to dig into the FAQ, where I found this:

http://www.wahleversharp.com/faq.php#q4
A. WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain pens come with a variety of nibs. Which one comes with which pen is as follows:
- Skyline Demo, Skyline Classic, Skyline Unique, and Skyline Tribute collections - Medium Semi-flex ceramic coated gold plated stainless steel.
- Skyline Technik Black Aluminum Pens- Medium black finished ceramic coated stainless steel.
- Skyline Technik Cobalt Blue Aluminum Pens - Medium Semi-flex Gold Plated Ceramic coated Stainless Steel.
- Under custom order, purchasers can specify the pen be supplied with 18KT nib for an additional fee.

Writing samples would be good, but having this information on each product page is essential IMHO. You could then link it to a writing sample.

There are a few typos in the FAQ as well, could perhaps do with a bit of a tidy-up?

AHA! The FAQ's. I will address that with the webmaster tomorrow morning. and add something to each description. I have been explaining to people more than I thought I would need to how the semi-flex has line variation from fine to medium+ a lot lately. The fine line is little under a half a millimeter and flares to about 1.3 mm under pressure. I think that .4mm is not superfine, but fine. Communication is not always perfect between manufacturer and web designers. We will edit.

Syd

LOL... wow ... I just PM'd Wahlnut this question!

Ya know I almost made it till the LI pen show without buying anything... I may have to get in on this offer of free shipping etc...

Who would have thought we would once again have the opportunity to buy a brand new Wahl-Eversharp Fountain Pen again :clap1:

#79 Drone

Drone

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:45

Hi Syd,

Yes, please do a write-up about how the flex nibs are made, the materials, and (most importantly) how they work. As I mentioned before, waiting for reports about the flex nib performance is the one reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on one of your pens yet.

The sooner you get out the dope on how the new nibs work, complete with excellent pictures, the better. At least you'll be affixing an anchor to this subject. I would NOT leave it up to the casual FPN pen reviewer to cast first impressions upon your new products. Get out in-front.

Just my opinion - Regards, David

#80 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:53

Syd

I'd call that an F which flexes to BB, which, so far as I know, is enough line variation to beat any other modern factory flex nib.

:thumbup:

Edited by raging.dragon, 27 February 2013 - 07:55.

#81 mrchan

mrchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:37

http://www.wahlevers....com/faq.php#q4

Sorry about that but it was the FAQ that actually placed me under the misconception that the nibs were medium. I do agree that it'd be nice if you would give us a little tutorial how those nibs were made and some writing samples too if you wouldn't mind :)
Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

#82 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:31

On the Free Shipping and now it has also become the Satisfaction Guaranteed refund thread. People began focusing in on what the nib flex was like. In case people on this thread might be interested, I post a photo of the figure 8's I did to demo the flex this Semi-flex nib can do.

People have stopped asking about the Ceramic Coating, but that is more what distinguishes the writing feel of these nibs in the new WAHL-EVERSHARP line (But not in the Skyliner 50's pens). So for flex fans:

Posted Image

Syd
Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#83 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• 932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:52

WOW .... looks great...

So its a great writer that has flex when you want it.

Question?
"People have stopped asking about the Ceramic Coating, but that is more what distinguishes the writing feel of these nibs in the new WAHL-EVERSHARP line (But not in the Skyliner 50's pens)."

I think read somewhere in one of the threads that the nibs are interchangable? Does that mean a Ceramic Coated nib could be ordered and then put on the Skyliner 50's?

#84 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:05

On the Free Shipping and now it has also become the Satisfaction Guaranteed refund thread. People began focusing in on what the nib flex was like. In case people on this thread might be interested, I post a photo of the figure 8's I did to demo the flex this Semi-flex nib can do.

People have stopped asking about the Ceramic Coating, but that is more what distinguishes the writing feel of these nibs in the new WAHL-EVERSHARP line (But not in the Skyliner 50's pens). So for flex fans:

Syd

Does the ceramic cover the nib tip as well? I'd assumed the nibs used regular "iridium" tips and that the ceramic coating served mostly to protect the gold plate from wear and scratches.

#85 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:27

Syd

Does the ceramic cover the nib tip as well? I'd assumed the nibs used regular "iridium" tips and that the ceramic coating served mostly to protect the gold plate from wear and scratches.

Yes, the ceramic coat is everywhere including the tip. It was not designed for cosmetic purposes although it certainly helps that, but for the great writing characteristics primarily. People at the LA Pen show, would maybe write half a word, and stop and look up like whoa. It was fun to see, and hard to convey on a computer screen. Other pen makers experimented with it but did not put it into production as far as I know.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut, 01 March 2013 - 03:13.

Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#86 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:30

WOW .... looks great...

So its a great writer that has flex when you want it.

Question?
"People have stopped asking about the Ceramic Coating, but that is more what distinguishes the writing feel of these nibs in the new WAHL-EVERSHARP line (But not in the Skyliner 50's pens)."

I think read somewhere in one of the threads that the nibs are interchangable? Does that mean a Ceramic Coated nib could be ordered and then put on the Skyliner 50's?

Yes, I did exactly that on request for a custom order the other night. Skyliner 50's pen went out with the gold plated ceramic coated SS nib instead.

And one person ordered a Classic pen which carried the GPCCSS nib with an 18K nib instead.

And another just ordered an Award Pen with a FINE NIB  that we have a few of under our Special Order Request option on the site.

To each his own!
Syd

Edited by Wahlnut, 18 May 2013 - 00:23.

Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com