Which Franklin-Christoph Pen Would You Want, Have Or Recommend

akz_001

Which model will you fall for ?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Please select one model you like the most!

• Model 66
    • Model 65
    • Model 40Pa
    • Model 40Po
    • Model 33
    • Model 29 (New Model)
    • Model 27
    • Model 25
    • Model 19
    • Model 14
    • Model 02

Hi all. Our pens are made in the US by our small firm.

The acrylics are made in small batches one piece at a time on a CNC lathe directed by CAD. So they are not by hand in that each one is a bit different size, but each pen gets lots of time in the hands for individual attention. The engravings are done with a separate mill machine, and the polishing of course takes lots of time and attention as does the final turn. Lots of manual time goes into each pen, consistency is maintained from piece to piece.

The metal pens such as the 27 and 29 have a very different manufacturing process. The outsourced parts such as lacquering requires larger batches, so while they aren't "mass produced" per se, the per model batches are not 10-25, but rather 100-200 per color. There is no final turn or long polishing process. The engravings are lasered instead of milled, etc. So that's why even though the quality is high, we are able to offer the metals at under $100 generally (due also to direct sales method), where the acrylics go for over $100.

Cheers!

Scott F.

I know you would be diplomatic on this and it would be hard for you

to choose between the pen as it would be like which masterpiece will you reccomend

but still I, in fact we all would love to know your suggestion for me.

Thanks a lot!

The 29 and the 65/66 are really such different pens it is hard to say.

The 65 is smallish with the smaller nib. Light weight, and long barrel / short cap design. The 66 is longer and thicker and takes the larger nib.

The 29 is heavier, has more flair with the paradox engraving. If you wear in a shirt pocket then the 29 has the nice firm spring loaded clip. To wear in pants pocket for any of the models you'd want a pen sleeve. 65 and 29 use the #5 nib size. The 66 the larger #6 nib.

Here is a photo of our tester pens that shows the size difference well. The bottom one is of the production pieces.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10453260/1822499.jpg?695

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10453260/129016.jpg?497

In the end it is a matter of where you will use them, and what you like aesthetically. Both will have similar performance. If you like to use as eye droppers, either the 65/66 will do that. Not the 29.

Hope that helps!

Scott F.

F-C on Twitter

F-C on Facebook

Franklin-Christoph.com

F o r t i t u d o....e t....F i d e s

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akz_001

• ethernautrix

• UDog

• FranklinChristoph

I voted for the 65, because I have one (also, a 25 and an 1). I think I might prefer the 66, but the difference is negligible.

Is there is no significant difference between 66 and 65

then what is the difference ?

The 66 is slightly bigger and takes the bigger #6 nib. That might be a preference for some folks. I'd tried the various F-C Tester pens, so I knew that I liked both the #5 and the #6 nibs; they both wrote very smoothly. The length might make a difference in some people's hands or in portability (fitting in cases). I carry around long and short pens, so the length didn't matter so much to me -- and both were comfortable to write with.

Aesthetically, I kindv like the #6 nib more, but not enough to wait for it (when I ordered the 66, F-C had just sold out of them but had a 65 they could send immediately).

What seems like a negligible difference to me might be a deal-breaker for others.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

A Franklin-Christoph Story

Before Christmas I ordered a Model 66 in an XF nib. It arrived right on time. I inked it

up and the size was too large for me, at least the nib was. I emailed FC and asked if I

could buy a 65-sized nib and replace it. They said they were different designs and were

not interchangeable.

But they said I coud send the Model 66 back and they would replace it with a Model 65.

So that's what I did. About a week later here is the Model 65 and it is wonderful.

Franklin-Christoph also refunded the difference in price to my Paypal account. I could

not believe it. What a great company. From now on, they are my first stop for pens.

(I can't wait for the "Panther.")

Wow! It was nice to know about there customer service.

How was the Model 65 to you?

The Model 65 is perfect, a truly unique pen.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Dear All

Last week I had few discussions with Mr. Scott from Franklin Chrishtoph pens

and I have decided to go with Model 66. Now I have chosen model 66 because

it has a large ink capacity, performs well as a desk pen as I am not gonna travel

very often therefore a desk pen would be a nice option and most importantly

it has a cursive italics nib which is one of the best things for a newbie in italics

like me!!

Thanks Scott and every other member for helping me.

With Regards

Thanking You

Akz

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8362/8363863220_10012b3634_s.jpg

From the past few days I am extremely curious about Franklin-Christoph pens.

Anyway which pen would you suggest and why?

I have 3 F-Cs: 2 27s and a 29.

I hang out at the lower cost end of the pen market. In fact, the F-Cs are my only pens over $35. I tried the first, the 27(F), on the advice of a pen shop owner, and loved it. I live in Raleigh, so when I was time for my next pen I went in and sampled all the pens they had. Ultimately I got another 27 this time a M, and a 29 (F). These are my favorite pens.

P.S. The guy who designs and tests these pens says he uses nothing but Noodler's (although they are coming out with their own line of inks).

Edited by dcroe05

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

I have a model 29, with a .9 cursive Italic, a model 19 with a .9 CI, a model 40 with regular fine, an old-style model 27 with medium nib, and a model 14 with an extra fine.

All are excellent writers -- the only one with which I have any issues is the Model 27, because the weight of the cap overbalances the pen, and it's a bit short for me to use unposted. But the writing experience is tops.

I voted for the Model 29, but the model 19 could easily have been my choice. I love the CI steel nibs.

I received a Model 02 in olive with a medium nib yesterday. It is a "Stock Room" pen, and I'm really happy with it so far. It's an excellent writer. It has a smooth nib with just a touch of feedback. It's perfect, really, and I could see it becoming my favorite fountain pen.

The communication and customer service I received was outstanding, as well.

-Andy

...the only one with which I have any issues is the Model 27, because the weight of the cap overbalances the pen, and it's a bit short for me to use unposted. But the writing experience is tops.

I'm assuming my 27 is the newer model. When I was considering it, the shop owner at Origami Ink, pointed out the way the cap posts. It doesn't push all the way onto the pen without a significant amount of force, although it stays on even when pushed only part way on. He mentioned that a few people have had an issue with this. However, this is one of my favorite features of the pen, because it allows me to moderately adjust the balance point of the pen.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• 4 months later...

(I can't wait for the "Panther.")

Me too.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

I've ended up with five F-C pens and a couple of their leather pen cases. First and foremost - they are a pleasure to do business with. The inks are lovely colors but I've been afraid to use the black. My favorite pen (and the one I voted for) is the 19 - feels great in your hand.

The Model 02 is amazing. The PERFECT pen size for the average to larger hand size, and with the cap posted, it is perfectly balanced. AND a bonus - the olive green color is an eyecatcher to say the least.

I missed out on that olive green when I had the chance. And now I regret it :mellow:

• 1 month later...

I like the desk pen #66 because I do all my fountain pen writing at home now at a desk, and I'm prejudiced against the pointy ones.

I also like the #29 magnetic because I need a pen which posts securely without marking the barrel. I like a heavy pen too, and I find The #29 uncharacteristically heavy.

I'd give the #29 Bellus the jetsam design award.

Edited by jetsam

The 02 and the 29, medium or a stub

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I have the Model 29 (limited edition Radiant Red) and it's magnificent. I also have two Pipers - the Magna and Empire Dark Forest. With the Pipers, you get a lot of pen for the money you pay; both pens are < $40.

Another desirable aspect about F-C purchases is that for all orders > $50, they send it to you by FedEx for free. Super-responsive and super-helpful company!

------------------------------------------------------

'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life

http://fountainpenreviews.wordpress.com/

I like the look of the model 19 with the steel stub.

Edited by OldGreyGuy

Hi all. Our pens are made in the US by our small firm.

The acrylics are made in small batches one piece at a time on a CNC lathe directed by CAD. So they are not by hand in that each one is a bit different size, but each pen gets lots of time in the hands for individual attention. The engravings are done with a separate mill machine, and the polishing of course takes lots of time and attention as does the final turn. Lots of manual time goes into each pen, consistency is maintained from piece to piece.

The metal pens such as the 27 and 29 have a very different manufacturing process. The outsourced parts such as lacquering requires larger batches, so while they aren't "mass produced" per se, the per model batches are not 10-25, but rather 100-200 per color. There is no final turn or long polishing process. The engravings are lasered instead of milled, etc. So that's why even though the quality is high, we are able to offer the metals at under $100 generally (due also to direct sales method), where the acrylics go for over $100.

Cheers!

Scott F.

The 27 is on my list. My dilema is choosing Racing Green or Royal Blue. Also, I'm planning to get the 65. I really like the #6 nib on the 66 better, but I prefer the dimensions of the 65, so I'm planning to go with size of the pen over the nib. I've read opinions that, with the 65 and 66, there's no difference in writing quality between the nibs. F-C, why not come up with a combo of the two - dimensions of the 65 with the #6 nib? Perfect! :D

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I have a Model 27 with a Medium Italic nib. It's really smooth, and I like the weight of it, although it's requires a slight adjustment period when switching from my other pens. The nib is really great. I'm leaning towards a Model 19 with a Broad Stub for my next purchase. Although I currently gravitate towards my F and EF nibs for my daily journal writing, I always look for variety in my "next one".

I also have F-C Olde Emerald and Syrah Syrah inks, which I enjoy a lot. They fit in well with the more subdued tones I prefer in my ink these days.

I think we are all late, here, xince Akz has already made up his mind and put in his order; but I encountered F-C first in Pen World and wrote to them to ask a question about flexibility -- and got a prompt and very courteous reply, advising me to go and see them at the New England Pen Show in Boston, a month or so ago.

My first stop was the F-C booth and as soon as I tried these pens out, I was hooked! They may feel lightweight in the hand; but they are beautifully-crafted. I bought a model 65 and a model 19, which Doug set up for me. These nibs are ultra-smooth and not without some flex. However, I seem to prefer the feel of the smaller nib (the #5) in the 65 -- my 19 (with #6) does not seem quite as reliable in ink delivery as the smaller one; but then I am slightly heavy-handed and like lots of flexibility.

The construction of the contrasting insert in hte body and cap of the model 19 is amazing! At pen shows, F-C show you a cut-away cap, demonstrating how the insert is built-in: it is <complex>! And beautiful.

I love these pens and just need to use them more...

Come to think of it, Franklin-Christophe has a pen for everyone; design, nib, size, quality, price range and affordability, innovation, variety, service, presentation, online facility, including pencil, ink, paper and leather accessories to match, not forgetting customer interaction and participation in activities.

A one-stop writing shop to suit every taste.

They may not be the only one but they certainly have a talent for it and, like the others, their passion and commitment for what they do really shows through.

And I'm having such fun discovering which pen they have for me.

There is one problem though.

I'm sorely tempted to go over budget. :rolleyes:

No 19 is my latest :wub: especially after seeing the video review so *conveniently* attached to their description.

Edited by jetsam

Frustrating. After reading several comments about the 19 and looking at it on the F-C website, I've now added it to my wish list. Sigh - just have to continue saving. :rolleyes:

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!