Which Franklin-Christoph Pen Would You Want, Have Or Recommend

akz_001

Which model will you fall for ?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Please select one model you like the most!

• Model 66
    • Model 65
    • Model 40Pa
    • Model 40Po
    • Model 33
    • Model 29 (New Model)
    • Model 27
    • Model 25
    • Model 19
    • Model 14
    • Model 02

I don't have any Franklin-Christoph pens, but I've been eyeing the Model 29 and Model 66.

The Model 66 Desk Pen caught my fancy due to its size and simple design while the Model 29 has an interesting twist magnet cap.

Same with me, my eyes too got stuck on model 29's magnetic cap

and the unique design of model 66.

akz...I had the Model 66 just about two weeks ago. For me, the nib was just

too long, so Franklin-Christoph let me return it for the Model 65. I can

say that the M66 nib was very, very smooth. The entire design is so unique

and the balance is perfect.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akz_001

• ethernautrix

• UDog

• FranklinChristoph

I voted for the 65, because I have one (also, a 25 and an 1). I think I might prefer the 66, but the difference is negligible.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I have looked at the FCs and they seem like nice enough pens but I havent figured out what makes them better and worth the price increase compared to, say a Prelude, Studio, Sonnet or the many other more mainstream pens of comparable size/heft but costing a lot less.

They are nice-looking pens and that is enough reason to get them - but is there some "special" about them that I am missing?

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Sometimes the fact that a pen is hand-lathed by a person working for a small company sways me to spend more than I would on a pen that is mass produced.

etherX in To Miasto

I have looked at the FCs and they seem like nice enough pens but I havent figured out what makes them better and worth the price increase compared to, say a Prelude, Studio, Sonnet or the many other more mainstream pens of comparable size/heft but costing a lot less.

They are nice-looking pens and that is enough reason to get them - but is there some "special" about them that I am missing?

OK, I'll bite.

Model 29 costs USD 100 (shipping is included). In return, you get a pen that:

- looks distinctive,

- writes very well,

- is very sturdy (yes, I've really put it through its paces, not intentionally), and

- is backed by excellent customer service.

In comparison, the 3 Sonnets I've owned:

- are not particularly remarkable in appearance,

- at best write about as well as model 29,

- are not very well constructed or especially sturdy (one has come apart because of poor construction quality), and

- have offered no customer service to speak of.

I'll definitely look with interest the next time FC comes up with something interesting.

Edited by Simius

^^^ Cool - so a pen to be considered in the same breath as Bexley, Edison, JEB pens, etc., if I understand correctly. That's good company.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Are these pens hand lathed?

Good question.

I had assumed that the pens are made in limited production quantities using some sort of automation. If the pens are indeed hand lathed - *and* are made in the US - then the price points offered by Franklin-Christoph are impressive.

Can anyone confirm?

Hi all. Our pens are made in the US by our small firm.

The acrylics are made in small batches one piece at a time on a CNC lathe directed by CAD. So they are not by hand in that each one is a bit different size, but each pen gets lots of time in the hands for individual attention. The engravings are done with a separate mill machine, and the polishing of course takes lots of time and attention as does the final turn. Lots of manual time goes into each pen, consistency is maintained from piece to piece.

The metal pens such as the 27 and 29 have a very different manufacturing process. The outsourced parts such as lacquering requires larger batches, so while they aren't "mass produced" per se, the per model batches are not 10-25, but rather 100-200 per color. There is no final turn or long polishing process. The engravings are lasered instead of milled, etc. So that's why even though the quality is high, we are able to offer the metals at under $100 generally (due also to direct sales method), where the acrylics go for over $100.

Cheers!

Scott F.

Edited by FranklinChristoph

F-C on Twitter

F-C on Facebook

Franklin-Christoph.com

F o r t i t u d o....e t....F i d e s

The acrylics are made in small batches one piece at a time on a CNC lathe directed by CAD. So they are not by hand in that each one is a bit different size, but each pen gets lots of time in the hands for individual attention. The engravings are done with a separate mill machine, and the polishing of course takes lots of time and attention as does the final turn. Lots of manual time goes into each pen, consistency is maintained from piece to piece.

The metal pens such as the 27 and 29 have a very different manufacturing process. The outsourced parts such as lacquering requires larger batches, so while they aren't "mass produced" per se, the per model batches are not 10-25, but rather 100-200 per color. There is no final turn or long polishing process. The engravings are lasered instead of milled, etc. So that's why even though the quality is high, we are able to offer the metals at under $100 generally (due also to direct sales method), where the acrylics go for over $100.

Cheers!

Scott F.

Hi Scott, Thanks for confirming that the pens are not produced on a manual lathe. Of course, if you have only one CNC turning machine then each part will have to be turned serially one at a time.

I had a look at your website and noticed the Model 02 in green. absolutely wonderful shape.

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks Hari. By the way, this is the same process as Bexley and a bit like Edison -

Scott

Hi Scott, Thanks for confirming that the pens are not produced on a manual lathe. Of course, if you have only one CNC turning machine then each part will have to be turned serially one at a time.

I had a look at your website and noticed the Model 02 in green. absolutely wonderful shape.

Best,

Hari

F-C on Twitter

F-C on Facebook

Franklin-Christoph.com

F o r t i t u d o....e t....F i d e s

A Franklin-Christoph Story

Before Christmas I ordered a Model 66 in an XF nib. It arrived right on time. I inked it

up and the size was too large for me, at least the nib was. I emailed FC and asked if I

could buy a 65-sized nib and replace it. They said they were different designs and were

not interchangeable.

But they said I coud send the Model 66 back and they would replace it with a Model 65.

So that's what I did. About a week later here is the Model 65 and it is wonderful.

Franklin-Christoph also refunded the difference in price to my Paypal account. I could

not believe it. What a great company. From now on, they are my first stop for pens.

(I can't wait for the "Panther.")

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

The Model 02 is amazing. The PERFECT pen size for the average to larger hand size, and with the cap posted, it is perfectly balanced. AND a bonus - the olive green color is an eyecatcher to say the least.

Yeah, so I suppose that customer service counts for a lot.

I have had excellent customer service from Franklin-Christoph. From my own experience and from what others have said, I gather that customer satisfaction is very important to F-C. That is worth something.

etherX in To Miasto

I voted for the 65, because I have one (also, a 25 and an 1). I think I might prefer the 66, but the difference is negligible.

Is there is no significant difference between 66 and 65

then what is the difference ?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8362/8363863220_10012b3634_s.jpg

The Model 02 is amazing. The PERFECT pen size for the average to larger hand size, and with the cap posted, it is perfectly balanced. AND a bonus - the olive green color is an eyecatcher to say the least.

So, you're the model 02 one. Nice to know about the pen because no one

earlier discussed about this model!

A Franklin-Christoph Story

Before Christmas I ordered a Model 66 in an XF nib. It arrived right on time. I inked it

up and the size was too large for me, at least the nib was. I emailed FC and asked if I

could buy a 65-sized nib and replace it. They said they were different designs and were

not interchangeable.

But they said I coud send the Model 66 back and they would replace it with a Model 65.

So that's what I did. About a week later here is the Model 65 and it is wonderful.

Franklin-Christoph also refunded the difference in price to my Paypal account. I could

not believe it. What a great company. From now on, they are my first stop for pens.

(I can't wait for the "Panther.")

Wow! It was nice to know about there customer service.

How was the Model 65 to you?

Edited by akz_001

Still still confused with the pens.

Some say model 29 and some say 65 or 66.

Some say model 29's magnet could affect some goods around you

and when posted it becomes quite heavy,

so some say everything is fine with 65 and 66

but as there are desk pens they are not easy to carry !!

But the numbers don't lie as model 29 is still topping the polls!

It's really very hard for me to choose as the weekend is coming close

and I have to choose one !!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Scott F.

I know you would be diplomatic on this and it would be hard for you

to choose between the pen as it would be like which masterpiece will you reccomend

but still I, in fact we all would love to know your suggestion for me.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by akz_001