Parker 5Th Generation

Salerno_AFG

Just wondering everyones thoughts on the Parker 5th Generation technology, is it a fountain pen, felt pen? Parker markets it as the combining of the fountain pen, ballpoint and rollerball. Has anyone purchased or used one?

**************************************************************************************

Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution

**************************************************************************************

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salerno_AFG

• Dillo

• Ernst Bitterman

• mikehodgman

One thing`s for sure: it`s NOT a fountain pen. They would have better described it as the Frankenstein of pens. :rolleyes:

http://i49.tinypic.com/118zsx5.jpg

Edited by rochester21

LOL :roflmho:

Not at all a fountain pen, and yes, I've tried it. There's also a couple of reviews in the Reviews forum, and a bit more discussion on the Parker forum. Apparently the rather expensive refills run out VERY quickly, which might be a design choice to make sure that there isn't ink left when the tip finally wears away.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Hi,

It is a fineliner placed into a shell that makes it look a little like a fountain pen. Fineliner tips are usually smooth but wear out, so they are intended to be disposable. I think they are nice to write with, but not at all practical compared to a fountain pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

nothing to see with a fountain pen except the look...it's a fineliner

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

I guess my question is why are they doing it? What do they have to gain from making a fake fountain pen???

Yeah, nothing remotely like a fountain pen, so who knows why they market it as a combo pen. It is great to write with, a very nice pen, but a horrible value.

I assume that when the "felt tip" wears out that it can be replaced? I saw above a mention of it being a disposable pen. Who pays $200 + for a disposable?

The awful thing about the 5th is that it writes exactly like a $1.50 Marvy Uchida LePen porous tip pen but the Marvy is almost a hundredth of the price.

Salerno, the pen itself, like a Parker Rollerball or Ballpoint is not thrown away, but the refills are a cartridge unit with ink supply and porous tip all in one... again, even these refills are more expensive than many other porous tip disposables that write the same (see Marvy above.)

Edited by paultyler_82

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

Hi,

The pen is basically a shell that holds a disposable refill that is decently large. It's like the Staedtler Mars Professional pens. The refill was basically the entire pen and the pen was basically a shell that held the refill. The Staedtler Mars Professional was discontinued, and now no one can get refills for it. I hope there is an option for Parker 5th users if the cartridge gets discontinued.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I guess my question is why are they doing it? What do they have to gain from making a fake fountain pen???

There was a "Pen Expert Survey" one got pestered with looking at their website, and one of the questions was something like, "Is a nib like a fountain pen important to you?" I, and I suspect a lot of others, said YES to this and a lot of other questions which had "like a fountain pen" in them. Unfortunately, what we think is "like" a fountain pen and what the Newell-Rubbermaid Marketing Consultant brains-trust thinks are rather different. :rolleyes:

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 1 year later...

If I want a fineliner I'll use fineliner, if I want a fountain pen I'll use a fountain pen. I would never use this monstrosity.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I used a fine-point felt tip decades ago. I think it was a Pilot.

Parker hides the felt tip under a fake nib and gets people to pay $150 .

It is an excellent felt tip. Every bit as good as the Pilot.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

So, the question is why would someone pay a large amount of money just to be seen writing with a fancy pen?

Ask those who buy $3,000+ fountain pens?

Full disclosure: I don't own a Parker 5th, nor would I own one because I don't need a felt tip pen. Neither do I work for Parker.

I just think it's a little pot-and-kettle to run a pen down because 'I could do the same thing with a $1.50 pen.' Well yeah, we could all pick up a cheap student FP and get the job done.

Is it silly to 'pretend' you're writing with a fountain pen? I suppose. Different strokes, different folks. ;-)

AJ

Edited by Amberjack

I would have a use for one, but I've already filled that niche with a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Marker.

Maybe I could wrap my Sharpie in gold or silver so I wouldn't have to be ashamed any more :lticaptd:

It looks like a fountain pen, and so I accidently was given one by a family member. Once I opened the present (it came from the retailer wrapped) my family member was furious and felt deceived. Fortunately the retailer gave a full refund, but it was inconvenient and annoying.

I bought into the hype and got one but stopped using it once I realised it was just an overpriced felt-tip. I gave it to a relation who didn't prefer fountain pens but liked a heftier pen. He already had the IM version of the pen, so he already knew about the exorbitant prices of refills.

Another example of Parker finding the solution to a question no one has ever asked.

As has been said it is a very expensive way to write with a poor quality felt tip refill but probably no worse than, say, buying a top flight roller ball pen. I once had a work colleague who used Parker felt tip refills to do all his paper work, he said that buying the pen as well was just a waste of money, maybe he had a point.

Peter