7 replies to this topic

#1 maryannemoll

maryannemoll

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:41

I just wanted to share with you what I finished doing recently.

I created a mini ink refill hub for myself in the office! I bought plastic bottles from a local store called Beabi, made sure they can take the entire nib and section of all my pens. I also bought several dropper tools to use for transferring the ink from their original bottles into these refill bottles.

The mini bottles are labelled with the ink brand and the ink color, and all twelve bottles fit into this pretty tin canister that a friend of mine gave me from Ikea.

IMG_6476 for posting.jpg

IMG_6479 for posting.jpg

They fit quite well together inside, and for this reason nothing can topple over, and rattling is limited. However, I still do handle this can with care. I never lift it. I just slide it across the table slowly when I need to access it, and slide it back to its place when I'm done.

IMG_6478 for posting.jpg

For good measure, though, I still put a note for the janitor who cleans up my desk every morning before I get to work.

This way, I never run out of ink in the office, and all my original ink bottles are now at home.

Edited by maryannemoll, 09 January 2013 - 03:38.

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:01

What a super-sweet idea - well done!

Since there is still a bit of space in the top of the tin, I might cut a piece of foam rubber for the bottom, and then maybe a couple layers of paper towel. This would serve to make a soft base for the bottles, raise them up a bit (making it easier to grab them) and in the event of a spill, absorb most or all of the ink to make any cleanup a little easier.

But no matter, you've done a great little project there. Not to mention that I like a person who sees the value in a lot of colors of ink! :)
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#3 maryannemoll

maryannemoll

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:23

Thanks, JonSzanto. That's a great idea!

I actually was thinking about the tissue possibility at the bottom but the wad has to be very level, because sadly, the bottles are not watertight. In my country we have these "magic sponges" that they display and demo in flea markets and bazaars. I could try one of them, and cut them into the exact size circle to fit the bottom of the tin. That could work. And maybe I can line line the lid with a thin but soft material, which must also be very level, so there would be absolutely no rattling.

Indeed, I do love my ink colors! When composing my writing on the computer, I of course use only one kind and weight of black font, for readability and to minimize eyestrain, especially when I am working on really long pieces, but when I am writing in longhand, that's when I let the tumbler out.

Edited by maryannemoll, 08 January 2013 - 06:32.

#4 dhaines

dhaines

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:55

What a novel and cool idea!

#5 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:39

Just out off curiosity, is there anything you can add to the top of the cap (an adhesive label or or something, so it can be removed if needed) that you could write the color of the ink on, so you can see which one you want without having to lift each bottle? Might make it easier for you in the long run. But in any case, that's a great idea and well executed to boot!

NNSbadge.png

#6 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,734 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:52

If I had a setup like that, I'd put a round, white, adhesive label on the top of each cap, and then dip a Q-tip in each respective ink and put one drop right in the center. You could easily identify the color you wanted, and the labels would peel off if you changed colors. No need for a lot of verbiage for a quick visual ID of the ink.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#7 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 23:30

If I had a setup like that, I'd put a round, white, adhesive label on the top of each cap, and then dip a Q-tip in each respective ink and put one drop right in the center. You could easily identify the color you wanted, and the labels would peel off if you changed colors. No need for a lot of verbiage for a quick visual ID of the ink.

I have to say that is a better option than my labels idea. That would definitely help you get the specific color yo have on hand to match your pen!

NNSbadge.png

#8 maryannemoll

maryannemoll

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 00:18

I have to say that is a better option than my labels idea. That would definitely help you get the specific color yo have on hand to match your pen!

I loooooove this idea! There are small round pre-cut stickers available here, and I could use that. Thanks for this! Now I have a project for Friday evening, before leaving the office to start the weekend.

I'm quite excited, and will post photos afterwards. Thank you!