Photo

Does Your Signature Match Your Handwriting?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 duboing

duboing

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:46

I developed my signature at a time when my writing was a lot like my mum's - upright, bold and rather dramatic. Since then, my handwriting has become rather more like my dad's was - forward-sloping, neat and controlled. Has your signature kept pace as your handwriting has evolved?

#2 Titanic9990

Titanic9990

discipulus in perpetuum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 21:10

My signature changes day to day...perhaps I should fix that :embarrassed_smile:
"Vae me, puto concacavi me!" -Seneca

ἄριστον μέν ὕδωρ μέλαν

#3 irrigger

irrigger

It's not easy being mean...he he he

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 21:18

My signature is as illegible today as it was 10 years ago.

#4 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 21:28

Nope... it declined after buying a house...

(and yes, my pens are embarrassed by my handwriting) :blush:
MB Hemingway M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Leonard Bernstein F; Shaw B; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 236 flexy OBB; gold/citrine Le Grand F; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 146 M; 162 RB

#5 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:39

Absolutely. Unreadable, a bit scruffy and uniquely mine. What more could I want?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"
LetterExchange_sm.png

#6 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:43

Handwriting is bad.

Learned my method of signature from watching my family doctor write out so many prescriptions during a lengthy illness. So it's worse.

#7 iamchum

iamchum

Oh Long Johnson

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 23:42

Nope, my signature is basically a scribble from the days, as a teenager, I did not write, but now, because it's on all my ID I can't be bothered changing it. One thing to note however is.... it is quite easy to forge.......... hrmmmmmmmm :hmm1:

My two best writers.

Posted Image..........Posted Image

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

#8 mrcharlie

mrcharlie

Peacock Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:13

My signature is actually readable, and basically very close to my normal handwriting.

#9 Horseknitter

Horseknitter

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:26

I have never differentiated between handwriting and my signature. I suppose you could say I write my signature such that it is always evolving with my handwriting. Interesting question.

#10 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,098 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:02

Fairly similar with some specific differences unique to it, that I don't use in my normal handwriting.

Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

LetterExchange_sm.png

#11 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:13

Since I mostly print :embarrassed_smile: my signature is way different. I'm hoping to try to do something about the former (New Year's Resolution!); we'll see if the signature evolves as well (this may, however, turn out be an issue as I'm currently a backup signatory on an account for a sub-part of a non-profit :headsmack:).
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#12 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:40

I actually consciously worked on my signature back after I got out of school. Even now, I keep tweaking it ever so often when I see something I don't like or want to slightly improve.

NNSbadge.png

#13 StyloBug33

StyloBug33

Paper Junkie

• Member - Gold

• 883 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:48

....yes
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
-Bill Waterson

#14 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:56

+1.

For everything other than signature, I print.
C’est en écrivant qu'on devient écrevisse.

#15 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:46

+1.

For everything other than signature, I print.

Not to derail the thread, but don't you find it difficult to use a fountain pen w/o almost wanting to switch to, for lack of better descriptor, a "prettier" way of writing, like cursive or something? I'm the same way, always printing things, but since I've started using FPs I find myself just automatically starting to write in cursive again.

Edited by Harlequin, 08 January 2013 - 04:51.

NNSbadge.png

#16 PenMaster71

PenMaster71

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:26

Impossible to forge, impossible to read, and the only thing that I write in cursive that looks good!
Victus propter benevolentiam.

Under the spread of the Chestnut tree, I sold you, you sold me.

#17 josiah

josiah

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:44

When I was in middle school, I took a calligraphy class; at that time, my handwriting was tightly-packed, with tall capitals, and with a slope of about forty-five degrees. Shortly afterward, I found that I'd fallen in love with some of the scripts I'd learned. I adopted an italic handwriting for a semi-connected print, and made a fully-connected cursive out of a mix of Carolingian and an English Batarde (blackletter cursive), with slight modernizations (and a few affectations of my own). That cursive managed to be quite legible even when I was writing quickly and sloppily, and was quite distinctive. At some point by the time I was in high school, I'd settled on a signature using that cursive, though it continued simplifying over the course of several years. It has since stabilized into a fairly consistent three lines: first letter of my middle name, a shape that roughly outlines the rest of my middle name, and a single squiggle that vaguely resembles the totality of my last name.

I decided a few months ago to change my signature to reflect my current handwriting. Though I've (re)learned cursive, I don't use it, and do not like my attempts to create a signature with it (and my cursive changes wildly depending on what nib is on my pen!), so I've constructed a signature based on my Italic handwriting that is sufficiently pleasing. Put it in my new passport a few weeks ago, and over the next several months, I need to go to my bank so that they know that this new signature is not a surprise if they pay attention.

#18 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,279 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 13:59

I always liked my dad's signature, a kind of drawing of his initials, joined in a few swirls and curls. When I was little, he created a signature drawing with my initials. I thought it was great to have my own signature, and I've kept it ever since, pretty much unchanged.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

#19 ndw76

ndw76

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 14:00

Back when I was about fourteen I used to write cursive, very illegibly. That was the stage of my life when I developed my signature. Since that time I stopped writing cursive, then stopped writing all together when I started typing everything. My signature was often the only thing I would write and was the on
Y thing I would write in cursive. My signature got to the point that it was just a squiggly line. Now that I am writing a lot more, taking pride in my hand writing, and learning cursive I want to improve my signature. But the squiggly line is on all my documents, licences, passport, I.D.s and so is really difficult to change.

My plan is to write both my new improved signature and my squiggly line on all new documents. Then some time in the future drop the squiggly line.
Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.
Posted ImagePosted Image