Visi-Ink - Id And Repair?

Aysedasi

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in 'Repairs' but both seemed valid enough! ;)

I recently acquired a Visi-Ink FP for £5 on Ebay. On arrival, it's quite nice. I can't see any markings on cap or clip at all. The blind cap to the bulb-filler is marked 'VISI-INK Pat No 439182 Made in England'. That's it. The pen has a Warranted 14CT nib with no other markings. Dipped, the nib is quite nice, although the tines are misaligned.

There was some of the bulb of the bulb-filler left but ossified and I can clean that up easily enough, although it'll need a pretty wide-mouthed sac to replace it. The dilemma comes up the other end of the barrel. There is a breather tube which didn't extend into the bulb. I suspect it was broken off at some point (I may have done it when I removed the remains of the bulb), but it was left flush with the bulb end of the barrel. The tube runs up through into the barrel but falls short of the section end, where it looks to have broken off. But looking at the end of the section, I can't see how it would have attached anyway..... It almost looks as if the section itself once had a sac as well....??? There is also a hole drilled through the section 'nipple' from one side to the other.

So, with my poor description and my poorer photos, can anyone tell me about this pen and whether it's possible to repair it?

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• red52ripple

• eckiethump

• Bo Bo Olson

The Visi-ink is a Mentmore/Platignum model. It's a well-thought-out patent, very similar to the Auto-Tank that Langs made for National Security. It should repair quite easily. The breather tube probably isn't broken at the bulb end as it was never intended to extend into the bulb. When you reassemble it, ensure that everything is sealed really well so that no air can get in anywhere except through the breather tube. A few squeezes of the new bulb will fill the barrel. I apply silicone grease to the threaded section, as that's the part most likely to draw air.

It does look as though the breather tube may be broken at the section end, in which case it will need to be replaced.

Edited by red52ripple

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

You might find thishelpful, as the design is similar.

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

Thanks Deborah. So (probably a silly question) should the tube connect to the section end somehow? And any ideas where I might find a replacement tube?

Thanks Deborah. So (probably a silly question) should the tube connect to the section end somehow? And any ideas where I might find a replacement tube?

Yes, I think it should. Your section looks different from what I would expect. I wonder if there's part of it missing. Plastic tubing shouldn't be too hard to come by if we can establish the size needed and how it's fixed.

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

That's my fear - there's something else gone astray here. But then again what? And I wonder when it went astray - it took great effort to get the section unscrewed, so I don't reckon it had been done for a long, long time. But having said that - nothing could have fallen out the other end.....I fear I may have to chalk this one down to experience....

Would it be possible to get a well-lit photograph into the inner end of the section? That might give a clue to how the breather tube could be fitted.

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

Here's another couple of shots. The second shows the section from the side with the hole running through what appears for all intents and purposes to be a sac attachment end.....

Then first just shows the solid inside to the section from the rear.

I have the breather tube out. Hard rubber that appears broken at both ends, with what looks like a fairly standard sized channel. The tube is however a snug fit into the bottom of the barrel where the bulb would attach. No clues at all as to how the tube could fix to the section, so the 'something's missing' idea seems the most credible.

Edited by Aysedasi

I agree. I'll ask around and see if someone more knowledgeable than me can explain how this pen works.

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

Some of these bulb fillers, are as you appear to have and the breather tube is attached to the bulb end of the barrel stopping short of the feed, I've only had a quick glance at this thread but the hole in the side of the section/feed showing, suggests it is of this type. There will be a helical track around the feed whereby air is expelled out and ink drawn in, very dissimilar from the normal breather tube arrangement, and rightly so quite confusing when first seen.

Eric

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Some of these bulb fillers, are as you appear to have and the breather tube is attached to the bulb end of the barrel stopping short of the feed, I've only had a quick glance at this thread but the hole in the side of the section/feed showing, suggests it is of this type. There will be a helical track around the feed whereby air is expelled out and ink drawn in, very dissimilar from the normal breather tube arrangement, and rightly so quite confusing when first seen.

Eric

Thanks a lot for that Eric. I guess the best thing for me to do is to reassemble, having found a sac large enough to serve as the bulb filler (any ideas on which size I might need - the diameter is 8mm?). I presume I'd best lightly shellac the tube into the bulb end? And then see if it works!

The tube actually goes back nice and tight into the bottom of the barrel, so I don't think I'll need to actually fix it in place. But I could still do with a spot of advice as to the size of sac I need to use for the bulb filler.....?

TBH I cannot exactly recall the size of sac I have used for these bulb filler pens, #20 sounds about right. I do have a tendency to use a larger type sac and as well as shellac, wrap shellac impregnated cotton thread around the sac at the nipple to affix, as I use generally silicon type sacs on these pens and there is a ridge on the nipple the sac will squeeze into where the thread is.

Eric

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

You have to shellac the end of the sac tight. Other wise by and by it will pop off and squirt ink on the one shirt you can't afford to replace.

Look up sac replacement in repair section.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

TBH I cannot exactly recall the size of sac I have used for these bulb filler pens, #20 sounds about right. I do have a tendency to use a larger type sac and as well as shellac, wrap shellac impregnated cotton thread around the sac at the nipple to affix, as I use generally silicon type sacs on these pens and there is a ridge on the nipple the sac will squeeze into where the thread is.

Eric

You have to shellac the end of the sac tight. Other wise by and by it will pop off and squirt ink on the one shirt you can't afford to replace.

Look up sac replacement in repair section.

Hi Bo Bo, I think I was quite clear in this.

Eric