Huashilai ' Marbled Celluloid' 2210

richardandtracy

This is a review of the 'Marbled Celluloid' Huashilai 2210 Pen.

There is something I want to get off my chest about this pen: I dislike it enormously. It's not worth the money. Don't buy one.
OK, having said that, I shall try to review the pen as dispassionately as I can, though you'll see I struggled.

fpn_1518170032__huashilai_2210_pic1.jpg

Initial Impressions
The first impression when opening the outer packaging and slipping off the velveteen sleeve was 'Oh no. It looks horrible'. The pen had cost £4.99 including postage.
The pen cap is painted black with unpainted chrome plated rings. There are lots of edges to the paint for it to chip from. The barrel is metal, not celluloid, and is PRINTED with a grungy green-brown simulation of marbled celluloid completely unlike the seller's photo on e-bay. What is more, the printed pattern doesn't match around the barrel and there is a glaringly obvious duplication & discontinuity in the pattern. The chrome plated finial is painted black in the same way as the cap. The poorly stamped and bent metal clip is dull Nicklel plated, completely incongruous with the rest of the pen. The painted metal section is topped with a screw thread, completely pointless as the cap clicks on the pen. Clip strength is OK.

fpn_1518170072__huashilai_2210_pic2.jpg

This all metal pen is heavy and not terribly comfortable.

Dimensions
The sizes and weight are as below:
Length Capped: 137mm
Length Uncapped: 123mm
Length Posted: 155mm (Hopelessly insecure because the finial tapers too much and the cap rattles about on it)
Barrel Diameter: 14mm
Cap Diameter: 14mm
Weight: 49g
Construction
Poor. The design is bad. The finish is poor and even though the fit between the various parts is good, that's not able to make up for the fact the pen should never have existed in the first place.

Durability
I have not used the pen much as I don't like it, but the paint is flaking off after only a couple of days use. Conclusion: Poor.

Writing with the Pen
Uncomfortable. Nib skips randomly at the start of a line, in the middle or at the end. Excessively heavy. No feedback from the nib. Need I go on?
Nib is a nice medium when it works.

Value for Money
Not worth anything, so VFM is poor.

Conclusion
Don't buy one. Huashilai have possibly shown their true colours as a manufacturer with this pen. It's not inspired by any other manufacturer's pen, so they have put all their own ideas into this one.

And it's utter rubbish.

Avoid the manufacturer completely unless you are considering the Huashilai 3000 which seems to be OK.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• KrazyIvan

• Montblanc owner and lover

• suexilin

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Chinese pen was the earlier version of this pen. It took a while to get it to write without skipping. At the time I did not know very much about fountain pens and I contacted the seller to complain. They advised me to flush with very hot water for a minute then immediately rinse with cold water. It worked better but I ended up having to adjust the nib and open the tines up to get the flow I wanted. It is not one of my favorite pens but I keep it anyway.

I find it very ugly too...but if you do so why have you bought it?

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

There are some hidden gems produced by the Chinese pen makers. Unless someone tries one & lets everyone else know what the pens are like, the gems will not be noticed by a wider audience.

The seller's picture showed are lovely green & white marbling to the pen, and it looked as if the pen was a marbled resin pen. Unfortunately that was not the case, and the printing on this pen wasn't much like the sale photo. The pattern was the same, so the photography must have been quite inventive in its colour management.

Regards,

Richard.